Dell guilty of fraud and false advertising

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:58 pm

Acer user here. As of sometime <i>after</i> the story about them recalling all those PCs because the preloadedware was insecure, and I'm not ashamed. Real geeks don't back down from a challenge.
No, real geeks build their own.

I've seen the insides of most brands of laptops, and I can comfortably say that I wouldn't trade in my bulky desktop for ANYTHING.

Most are badly designed, prone to immense-befuckeratory events, have crap charger ports that are an extreme pain in the arse to fix, flimsy LCD monitors that break too easily.

Honestly, I've had happy meal toys with better build quality than some brands, namely Acer, Vaios, and HPs.

Baconsticks

Postby Baconsticks » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:45 pm

Acer user here. As of sometime <i>after</i> the story about them recalling all those PCs because the preloadedware was insecure, and I'm not ashamed. Real geeks don't back down from a challenge.
No, real geeks build their own.

I've seen the insides of most brands of laptops, and I can comfortably say that I wouldn't trade in my bulky desktop for ANYTHING.

Most are badly designed, prone to immense-befuckeratory events, have crap charger ports that are an extreme pain in the arse to fix, flimsy LCD monitors that break too easily.

Honestly, I've had happy meal toys with better build quality than some brands, namely Acer, Vaios, and HPs.
I agree. I've seen some really shitty laptops, and the worst have to be Acers and Alienware (surprise). HPs and Viaos aren't too bad, but the design of them is nothing short of appealing (you try adding more ram to a Alienware, you have to remove the motherboard and the hard drive), and every time someone buys a laptop where I work, I get to remove a shitload of Preloaded software.

Also, whats with the ultra-light notebooks? On more than one occasion, I've snapped them in half just from normal handling.

(And they explode anyway.)

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:28 am

Not sure how we got onto the subject of laptops, specifically, but for the record I would never buy a laptop brand-new; If I'm gonna have a computer that can be easily stolen, pretty much can't be upgraded, and has too small of a screen to do anything useful on, I'm at least not paying twice what I'd pay for a comparable desktop to get it.

osprey

Postby osprey » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:53 am

I bought a $500 Toshiba simply for travel and the ability to surf the net from my couch. My desktop is my babby (self-built I might add!). For the choices I had in this price range for a laptop Toshiba seemed best. It has an easy-access RAM slot, and has been solid so far as laptops go, and I'm not easy on my technology. I don't even know how many times I've dropped my mp3 player.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:49 pm

I've just never had the urge to use a computer at any other time other than when I'm sat in front of my desk. I just don't see the point. It's the same reason my mobile phone is just a mobile phone.

A dude named Vince

Postby A dude named Vince » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:35 am

There's a class at my school where you can build your own computer(and if you payed for the parts, you could keep it). I'd take the class, but it was full by the time the freshmen got to choose classes. The computer I use was custom built, but not by me. It would work better, but it's a tad infected with viruses, so I'll have to get everything erased and have windows reinstalled. My Dell monitor works fine though.
Like Shredder emerging from the ooze, I've returned for a while!
Gary's mod?

Return to “World Events”