How not to teach kids about Drunk Driving.

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:15 pm

Nah, its getting through crystal clear, 10-4.
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:32 pm

This kind of reminds me of the conditioning in Brave New World.

(Literary name-drop, woo!)
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:24 pm

It's too traumatic to show horrific car crashes with severed limbs everywhere to teenagers to teach them about drunk driving but it's perfectly acceptable to trick them into thinking their friends are dead. Yeah that make a hellavu lotta sense.
Knowing the dead makes a difference. But I agree that neither one is a great idea. I'll say one thing for the Washington, D.C. government: They never made me or even invited me to watch one of those videos.

In all honesty, who needs trauma to learn such a basic lesson? Just tell the kids that drunks are reckless and reckless driving is deadly. Instinct for self-preservation should take over from there.
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:43 pm

I agree with Flapwell...this is a classic case of using a hand grenade to kill an ant.

Tarukai

Postby Tarukai » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:25 am

I agree with Flapwell...this is a classic case of using a hand grenade to kill an ant.
I love your analogy. It fits so well here.

If they had done this to us, I would've stormed the Princpal's office (if it was their idea) and told them off very harshly. If not their idea, however, it would be the school board. Luckily we only had videos of stuff, and we also had lectures from a few people before Senior Ball this year, people who had worked semi-recently (read: last year) on a similar case (no drinking involved).

I too know the feeling of losing friends/acquaintances in a car crash, as two people who I knew (not very well) died last year in a very tragic crash on a local road. They were driving very fast, but the feelings stay the same. Luckily, the one of the trio who I knew the most survived. He was thrown from the car (funny that wearing his seatbelt might have saved him, I believe they said) which had split in two when it hit a tree or something, and they weren't sure he'd make it through for a while, but he's better, albeit with some loss of arm function in his left one.

I know how bad it feels to lose friends, and with the people in our school, they should NEVER do this. The fact that the school thought it was all right is appalling.
[00:34:00] <Dermy> I do love to manipulate the standard rules of language for opportunistic effect
[00:34:06] <Dermy> Like a grammar hyena, I am
[00:34:16] <Dermy> Munching on the tasty entrails of tradition

[22:26:20] <MuffinSticks> I'm a chocolate muffin with white ears and a striped black and red tail
[22:26:35] <MuffinSticks> And exactly 6 chips

My DA account, for those who care enough to look/click/etc.
And my FA account as well!

Like_D00D

Postby Like_D00D » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:15 am

An ant doesn't kill multiple thousand deaths each year.
Ozy: You do realize your inhaling fumes from 12 bottles of Elmer's-
Millie: Plaid Elephant Cheese, Ozy! BANANA!

rabid_fox

Postby rabid_fox » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:33 am

Ants don't kill death. Doctors kill death.

They're the real heroes.
Thither

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:23 pm

Look at it this way: either this scares these impressionable students onto the straight and narrow path of whatever or it causes lasting bitterness and distrust of the establishment. Its win win.

My deviantART account

rabid_fox

Postby rabid_fox » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:31 am

Look at it this way: either this scares these impressionable students onto the straight and narrow path of whatever or it causes lasting bitterness and distrust of the establishment. Its win win.
Oh god. More whiny people in black polo neck sweaters. Just what we need.
Thither

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:29 am

It is just what we need. For without this population the black polo neck sweater industry would collapse. Collapse I say! And thats to say nothing of the Linken Park and Across the Road and Down the Street CD sales! Why, sales of japanese RPGs crewed by ambigously gay protagonists would plummet!

My deviantART account

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:16 am

It is just what we need. For without this population the black polo neck sweater industry would collapse. Collapse I say! And thats to say nothing of the Linken Park and Across the Road and Down the Street CD sales! Why, sales of japanese RPGs crewed by ambigously gay protagonists would plummet!
"Ambiguously"? They stopped being "ambiguous" several years ago...

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:28 am

Google confirms this thing you just said.

My deviantART account

Like_D00D

Postby Like_D00D » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:44 am

They're the real heroes.
Yeah...I kinda screwed up on that one. I mean people, obviously, but the point remains.
Ozy: You do realize your inhaling fumes from 12 bottles of Elmer's-
Millie: Plaid Elephant Cheese, Ozy! BANANA!

Burning Sheep Productions

Postby Burning Sheep Productions » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:29 am

*Is reminded of that one South Park episode.*

A different method I've heard of is to have all the people involved in a car accident scene to talk to students about their stories and perspective on it and let the students ask questions. These are people like the victims, police, paramedics, family members etc. That type of thing seems like it would work best to get the message across about the gravity of such events. None of this staged acting stuff.
Burning Sheep Productions

rabid_fox

Postby rabid_fox » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:03 pm

They're the real heroes.
Yeah...I kinda screwed up on that one. I mean people, obviously, but the point remains.
I vote a semantic change. I really like the idea that rather than having a life saved, there's been a death killed.
Thither

Return to “World Events”