Saturday, May 9, 1998: Ross Perot

Revisiting old Ozy & Millie comics.

Moderator:Æron

NonsenseWords
Saturday, May 9, 1998: Ross Perot

Postby NonsenseWords » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:02 am

Oh yeah Ross Perot! Remember him? From the nineties? Not a name that comes up much anymore.

cougartiger

Re: Saturday, May 9, 1998: Ross Perot

Postby cougartiger » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:31 am

I remember him. I voted twice for him. Don't regret it a bit as I still think he would've made a good president.

As for the strip, I like it. It's nice to remember that Avery actually was friends with O&M before he got all hung up on Felecia Felica Felcia whatever her name is. I really hated when DCS did that.

Very nice artwork as well. Love the final panel in particular. Not sure why though.
My Deviant Art page, home of my epic biography of Captain Lucius Locke, The Pirate's Tale.
Now including artwork!

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:39 am

Coincidentally I had a question about this guy on my Gov. final today. I still don't know who the hell he is.

Maggot Brain

Postby Maggot Brain » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:56 am

I dig this one. It's pseudo-political and still kinda clever. Avery's tail looks a bit weird though.

osprey

Postby osprey » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:18 am

I too like this one. It's like political humour like this that is my favourite type of political humour. Also, I will agree with cougartiger that the last panel is especially charming somehow.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Tom_Radigan

Postby Tom_Radigan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:02 am

I remember him. I voted twice for him. Don't regret it a bit as I still think he would've made a good president.

As for the strip, I like it. It's nice to remember that Avery actually was friends with O&M before he got all hung up on Felecia Felica Felcia whatever her name is. I really hated when DCS did that.

Very nice artwork as well. Love the final panel in particular. Not sure why though.
For those not in the know, H. Ross Perot is a billionaire who had run for President in 1992 and got a decent share of the vote, but got a lot less in 1996 once his novelty value wore off. (Basically I felt that's all he had going for him; he didn't impress me otherwise.)

It's "Felicia". I came to the strip late and never even knew that Avery got hung up with Felicia. I like this old Avery far better than the later one. :sad:

Feefers

Postby Feefers » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:23 am

Again the Americentriocity of this strip irks me.

However here much like Rainefail (*shiver* sorry for reminding people of it existance) we have something from "the real world" introduced into Ozy and Millie, so it leaves the question what the heck is batman like in this world, i'm guessing he's easier to identify (hint: he's the one that's a bat or maybe a flying fox).

Having the addition of a real world person in the form of obscure US political figure also leaves the question of if he's supposed to be human (we've not seen any humans yet, maybe there are some in charge?) or what.

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:11 pm

This just in, Cougar doesn't like it when Ozy and Millie characters are paired up.

Oh and it's FUH-LEE-SHUH!
Again the Americentriocity of this strip irks me.
Can you blame her? She's American and I don't know if she's ever been outside of the country. People usually draw what's familiar to them.

Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:13 pm

You are over thinking the strip. DCS isn't trying to craft an elaborate world here. He's just making observational humor and making it furrier then real life. Its pretty rarely that the animal nature of the characters is brought up, because that is not the focus of the strip. Thinking a bunch about celebrities who are mentioned and never shown because they are real life people and not ocelots is silly.

Besides, I think Larry King (or at least an owl resembling Larry King) was in the comic for a strip or two. Its not hard to imagine the O&M equivalents of all famous people would be animals of some sort.

cougartiger

Postby cougartiger » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:35 pm

This just in, Cougar doesn't like it when Ozy and Millie characters are paired up.

Oh and it's FUH-LEE-SHUH!
Actually, I just hated the fact that when Felicia and Avery got together, he more or less disappeared from the strip. Maybe DCS was trying to show that painful period where your friends desert you for their girlfriend/boyfriend. I dunno. Never thought much about it but Avery is one of my favorite characters and I liked the way he interacted with O&M and I missed that when DCS paired him with Felicia.

As for my forgetting how to spell Felicia's name, I'm fighting a cold and was on cough syrup and other stuff. I'm lucky I could remember how to type! Plus, when I'm hopped up on cold meds, I tend to babble. Even on the net. :)
My Deviant Art page, home of my epic biography of Captain Lucius Locke, The Pirate's Tale.
Now including artwork!

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

sad jazz cantaloupe

Postby sad jazz cantaloupe » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:12 am

Yeah Feef, I think you're overthinking this strip a bit too much. It's supposed to be funny, DCS was trying to get syndicated in US papers and even if she weren't she still doesn't have to care about whether non-americans know about Ross Perot or not, there's really nothing wrong with referencing american icons in it. Batman is simply Batman.
Apologies to everyone. Except Fritz.
First of all, Fritz, do yourself a favor and research your own answers before you post.

Return to “The O&M Archaeological Committee”