So, WHAT is UP with these constant downtimes?

Discuss anything pertinent to this website.

Moderator:Æron

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:07 pm

Lulz, Osprey.

The computer that Jason has the server running on right now is pretty unreliable (duurrr). From what I've gathered, he needs to constantly press a button to keep it running or otherwise it'll go idle and not work. As of right now, he is having family do it for him every morning. Jason will be home tonight, so there won't be as many downtimes and the downtimes won't be as long.
So don't lose hope guise ):
That's very odd. I suppose it comes from running your server off a desktop system (oh dear Jason).
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

baloki
Staff

Postby baloki » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:10 am

I just own the domain name ^_^

Do you believe in Lady Luck Now? Yeah Lady Bad Luck!

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:07 am

Lulz, Osprey.

The computer that Jason has the server running on right now is pretty unreliable (duurrr). From what I've gathered, he needs to constantly press a button to keep it running or otherwise it'll go idle and not work. As of right now, he is having family do it for him every morning. Jason will be home tonight, so there won't be as many downtimes and the downtimes won't be as long.
So don't lose hope guise ):
That's very odd. I suppose it comes from running your server off a desktop system (oh dear Jason).
It can go both ways. I used to belong to a forum with hundreds of active users online at any one time. It was run from the owner's personal machine (which he used for lots of stuff other than hosting the forum), and never experienced any downtime, except for one day (when the owner upgraded the machine from Windows 98 to Windows XP).

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:04 am

not to mention the c8 servers were on computers that would be considered worse than a modern home PC
http://www.spingain.com/?ref=146518
Well put doog. You never posted anything offensive whatsoever
we know she'll be back, like a good bitch should.

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:49 am

VERY true. Heck, they weren't even old servers -- they were old personal computers.

likeafox
Administrator

Postby likeafox » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:09 am

The reason we've been having so much downtime up until now is because, as some people said, the old server died about 7 weeks ago now, and I had neither the time nor the resources to come up with a long-term solution, so I had been hosting DC on my desktop computers. But only until this evening.

Just now, I finished putting together a new server which I think will be just as stable as our old server that was hosting DC for years. I also introduced a bunch of new safety measures that should guarantee against any permanent damage to the site from hardware or software failures (the hardware kind being pretty much inevitable). The database's automatic backups are now distributed to two separate computers including to the web server which now uses a RAID array.

MuffinSticks

Postby MuffinSticks » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:40 pm

But I've come to love the DC that has constant downtimes. It makes me appreciate the site more. Heck, if it had enough downtimes, I might even go to the extremes of making quality posts.
КТО ТРОГАЛ МОЯ ПУШКА

<Muninn> Too furry for saneville, too girly for boystown
see, how far raine dog got placed in the background? take that you blue bitch

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:09 pm

That would require a DC that was online only five minutes out of any given day.
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:04 am

That would require a DC that was online only five minutes out of any given day.

MuffinSticks

Postby MuffinSticks » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:08 am

I was thinking less than that actually. If it was online for 5 minutes a day, I wouldn't have time to think. I was thinking more like 10 minutes a week.
КТО ТРОГАЛ МОЯ ПУШКА

<Muninn> Too furry for saneville, too girly for boystown
see, how far raine dog got placed in the background? take that you blue bitch

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:06 am

I was thinking less than that actually. If it was online for 5 minutes a day, I wouldn't have time to think. I was thinking more like 10 minutes a week.
And they wouldn't be CONSECUTIVE minutes!

Æron

Postby Æron » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:09 am

The site should have rolling uptime. Each individual forum member with have a personal one minute to access the site and post once a day.
Scurry, scurry, Scurryous! You might just be the murriest. You certainly are the furriest! Hurry! Scurry! Scurryous!

Return to “The Site”