UK Election 2010

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

Muninn
Moderator (retired)
UK Election 2010

Postby Muninn » Fri May 07, 2010 6:03 am

I thought someone might have opened this thread by now.

At the time I'm writing there's still no clear winner. The Conservatives have the largest share, but not a majority so the most likely option is a hung parliament which means a coalition between Labour or Conservatives and the smaller parties.

Conservatives made big gains and unfortunately the Libdems didn't do as well as was predicted a week before. There was huge turnout and there's a big scandal where some polling stations had trouble handling it and hundreds of people couldn't vote.

Tom_Radigan

Re: UK Election 2010

Postby Tom_Radigan » Fri May 07, 2010 5:25 pm

A British comic strip on the subject:

http://poisonedminds.com/d/20100506.html

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Fri May 07, 2010 5:41 pm

I would have but I didn't think many people would be interested in the elections of some backward island off the coast of France.

The state of play right now is that no party has an overall majority and the 'usual' coalitions - Conservatives & DUP or Labour & Lib Dems - would not have one either. David Cameron, Conservative leader, has just offered the Lib Dems a deal; whether they accept that is fairly uncertain. Gordon Brown, still officially Prime Minister, traditionally has the first opportunity to form a government, but Nick Clegg (Lib Dem leader) is talking to David Cameron first because he believes that Brown has lost his mandate to rule.

Gripping stuff.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Maggot Brain

Postby Maggot Brain » Fri May 07, 2010 10:32 pm

Ringo Starr 2010

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Sat May 08, 2010 3:10 pm

Honestly, the idea of David Cameron in charge of the UK makes me cringe. But the idea of Nick Clegg jumping into the political bed with him makes me feel sick. I voted for Clegg to keep Cameron out of the office, not to prop him up.

A Tory/Lib-Dem coalition, considering their differences, would be about as stable as a Ukrainian nuclear reactor....they differ on pretty much most issues that need to be addressed in the next few months and even IF they do get together it'll lose both parties votes and credibility. the last time the Liberal Democrats formed an alliance it hurt them massively and brought down the government.

Also, the fact that hundreds of people who wanted to vote couldn't because local councils didn't expect such a high turnout and didn't have enough staff or voting slips is just sodding CRIMINAL and should make this election null and void.

Mark my words, there'll be another election within a year which will hurt my country's reputation of being stable.

If there is, I'm voting Labour.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Sat May 08, 2010 3:22 pm

If there is, I'm voting Labour.
I fear that's the attitude a lot of Lib Dem voters from this election will take if there's another election soon. Not wanting to see Cameron in, they'll vote for Labour solely to keep him out and abandon the Lib Dems because they don't stand much of a chance. It happens time and time again and is an unfortunate effect of this voting system. Hopefully, we'll see a referendum on electoral reform before the next election comes up.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Comrade K

Postby Comrade K » Sat May 08, 2010 9:28 pm

This all sounds eerily familiar...

Caoimhin
Location:In the magical land of Jersey... Watch your step and don't trip on the cows.

Postby Caoimhin » Mon May 10, 2010 1:59 am

Mark my words, there'll be another election within a year which will hurt my country's reputation of being stable.
Not being able to oust your leaders and vote for new ones isn't what its cracked up to be :roll: . I don't have any opinion on the actual election, but I do love what I understand about the parliment system. The majority ACTUALLY CAN DO STUFF? Thats fantastic.
I thought someone might have opened this thread by now.

At the time I'm writing there's still no clear winner. The Conservatives have the largest share, but not a majority so the most likely option is a hung parliament which means a coalition between Labour or Conservatives and the smaller parties.

Conservatives made big gains and unfortunately the Libdems didn't do as well as was predicted a week before. There was huge turnout and there's a big scandal where some polling stations had trouble handling it and hundreds of people couldn't vote.
There is enough brits here that it doesn't matter and even if there weren't that many, who knows, you may hook some listeners. Don't be afraid to post non-U.S politics, it freshens things up. Let every dog (and Rooster... Whos a wolf?) have his day.

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Mon May 10, 2010 8:48 am

I don't have any opinion on the actual election, but I do love what I understand about the parliment system. The majority ACTUALLY CAN DO STUFF? Thats fantastic.
It really screws over smaller parties though, especially if they enter the race nationwide. Labour were second with 8,604,358 votes that got them 258 seats. The Libdems got 6,827,938 votes with only 57 seats.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Mon May 10, 2010 6:21 pm

Gordon Brown has announced that he will step down as leader of the Labour Party. That was easy to see coming. The question remains now of what Nick Clegg will do; will he go by the interests of his party and form a Lib-Lab coalition, granting him greater political freedom and a more co-operative government, or will he stand by the electorate and join Cameron, who has the greater mandate to govern?

Return to “World Events”