Happy Cinco de Mayo y'all!!

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

Sage

Postby Sage » Fri May 09, 2008 6:36 pm

I like not caring enough to look it up because I forgot about all you Americans and your crazy non-metric ways.
The government once tried back in the 1980s to switch to metric, but people complained, and we switched back.
They tried to do it gradually, the idiots! If they'd just pulled the rug out from under us and changed everything overnight, we'd have just dealt with it. It worked with soda bottles, after all.
one time our class discussed us and we said pretty much the same thing :P

TyVulpine

Postby TyVulpine » Fri May 09, 2008 9:40 pm

I like not caring enough to look it up because I forgot about all you Americans and your crazy non-metric ways.
The government once tried back in the 1980s to switch to metric, but people complained, and we switched back.
They tried to do it gradually, the idiots! If they'd just pulled the rug out from under us and changed everything overnight, we'd have just dealt with it. It worked with soda bottles, after all.
Yeah, and it would work about as well as "New Coke" did...

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Mon May 12, 2008 4:43 pm

One key difference is that you won't replace car speedometers overnight. If a 35 mph zone starts having signs that say "Speed Limit 60," drivers will get confused.
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Mon May 12, 2008 5:13 pm

One key difference is that you won't replace car speedometers overnight. If a 35 mph zone starts having signs that say "Speed Limit 60," drivers will get confused.
In the UK, all our speed limit signs are in mph but practically everything else is metric. It seems to work just fine. I'm not sure there'd be widespread confusion about changes on our speed limit signs either. People know what is unreasonably high, and they have km/h markings on their speedometers. It's why you don't often get tourists in Europe misunderstanding km/h roadsigns.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

TyVulpine

Postby TyVulpine » Mon May 12, 2008 9:49 pm

In the UK, all our speed limit signs are in mph but practically everything else is metric. It seems to work just fine. I'm not sure there'd be widespread confusion about changes on our speed limit signs either. People know what is unreasonably high, and they have km/h markings on their speedometers. It's why you don't often get tourists in Europe misunderstanding km/h roadsigns.
Up in Canada, road speed limit signs are in Km/h, so Americans visiting would probably speed without realizing it. (I know, I was up there back in July 1994)

osprey

Postby osprey » Tue May 13, 2008 3:19 am

They all say KM/H under them however.

Edit: At least, all the ones I've payed attention to here in BC do.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Sage

Postby Sage » Tue May 13, 2008 3:38 pm

Good thing cars have both KMH and MPH then :P

Seriously, though, it seems that metric seems to be better... It would take some getting used to but still..

TyVulpine

Postby TyVulpine » Tue May 13, 2008 9:51 pm

Seriously, though, it seems that metric seems to be better... It would take some getting used to but still..
Metric is all "base 10", whereas the English System, well...it's nuts.

klimt

Postby klimt » Fri May 16, 2008 9:00 pm

depends what your doing. i dont know anyone who uses just metric.

Return to “World Events”