Hello

New to the forum? Going on vacation? Tell us about it.

Moderator:Æron

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:09 pm

To Ibun. Duh!! Idiot. Did you really wanted me to go through all operations?

Dantherman. I tried some pre cal stuff and it is a little harder but I think it's something I can handle.

Ibun

Postby Ibun » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:20 pm

To Ibun. Duh!! Idiot. Did you really wanted me to go through all operations?
Yes.
Killin' the first born of lyrical Yul Brynners.

MuffinSticks

Postby MuffinSticks » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:22 pm

Grammar and spelling comes intuitively for some people, as does math for others.
КТО ТРОГАЛ МОЯ ПУШКА

<Muninn> Too furry for saneville, too girly for boystown
see, how far raine dog got placed in the background? take that you blue bitch

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:24 pm

Tell that to Calculus.
Basic calculus (integration/differentiation of simple polynomials, differentiation of products and quotients of functions of x) is easy. It does get rather worse from there, however.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

RocketGirl

Postby RocketGirl » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:41 pm

Hey, grammar has more rules than math.
But those rules are actually much more flexible in English; there are So. Many. Ways. to construct a valid sentence in English that means what you're trying to say. It's fun, like a kind of improv; there's an art to it.
For that matter, warping English is fun, too; so long as you're conveying the message you intend, you can break just about any rule you like, really.

Math...is not so flexible. And you have to keep track of so much more; if I'm adding two three-digit numbers in my head, I have to remember if I've gone over ten in one column and make sure it gets transferred to the next column, and now I'm storing entirely too much data in my short-term memory. Bugger that! :evil:
Hell, if I were in charge, numbers would actually be written what we'd think of as backwards, the ones column being always, always, always first: 0862 would be two-thousand six-hundred eighty. THAT way, it's just easier to remember to advance a digit if you have to add something to it. Our current way, you have to keep track of the numbers you're going to modify last at the head of the number, and who the hell thought THAT was a good idea? :roll:

Math is entirely too exacting with no flexibility; language is more art than science, and I think that's why I prefer it. A well-crafted sentence is like a song when done right.

Arloest
Moderator (retired)

Postby Arloest » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:42 pm

Tell that to Calculus.
Basic calculus (integration/differentiation of simple polynomials, differentiation of products and quotients of functions of x) is easy. It does get rather worse from there, however.
Pretty much.
Who sleeps shall awake, greeting the shadows from the sun
Who sleeps shall awake, looking through the window of our lives
Waiting for the moment to arrive...
Show us the silence in the rise,
So that we may someday understand...

Tarukai

Postby Tarukai » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:25 am

Hey, grammar has more rules than math.
But those rules are actually much more flexible in English; there are So. Many. Ways. to construct a valid sentence in English that means what you're trying to say. It's fun, like a kind of improv; there's an art to it.
For that matter, warping English is fun, too; so long as you're conveying the message you intend, you can break just about any rule you like, really.

Math...is not so flexible. And you have to keep track of so much more; if I'm adding two three-digit numbers in my head, I have to remember if I've gone over ten in one column and make sure it gets transferred to the next column, and now I'm storing entirely too much data in my short-term memory. Bugger that! :evil:
Hell, if I were in charge, numbers would actually be written what we'd think of as backwards, the ones column being always, always, always first: 0862 would be two-thousand six-hundred eighty. THAT way, it's just easier to remember to advance a digit if you have to add something to it. Our current way, you have to keep track of the numbers you're going to modify last at the head of the number, and who the hell thought THAT was a good idea? :roll:

Math is entirely too exacting with no flexibility; language is more art than science, and I think that's why I prefer it. A well-crafted sentence is like a song when done right.
Are you related to Rabid_Fox?

Also, language > Math forever. I deal with math every day at work, I'll be dealing with it MORE at school now, doing Accounting, and I keep an eye on my physics skills, and will be deepening them I'm sure.

Yeah. If I'm going to engineer new types of stuff for cars possibly (I have a few ideas), I'll need my math skills and engineering skills, but I'll need my language skills just as much if not MORE, to make sure that the people I try to sell the ideas to will understand much better.
[00:34:00] <Dermy> I do love to manipulate the standard rules of language for opportunistic effect
[00:34:06] <Dermy> Like a grammar hyena, I am
[00:34:16] <Dermy> Munching on the tasty entrails of tradition

[22:26:20] <MuffinSticks> I'm a chocolate muffin with white ears and a striped black and red tail
[22:26:35] <MuffinSticks> And exactly 6 chips

My DA account, for those who care enough to look/click/etc.
And my FA account as well!

RocketGirl

Postby RocketGirl » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:44 am

I...doubt it.

I'm adopted and know nothing of my birth family, so it's remotely possible, but...

Why d'ye ask? :)

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:11 pm

I...doubt it.

I'm adopted and know nothing of my birth family, so it's remotely possible, but...

Do you occasionally feel the need to drink in large quantities and a strange desire to say "thither"?
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Trance

Postby Trance » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:37 pm

And do you ever make this face

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:33 pm

oh damn, that would be SO like him to come back as a girl with a highly complex and well-established background.
http://www.spingain.com/?ref=146518
Well put doog. You never posted anything offensive whatsoever
we know she'll be back, like a good bitch should.

RocketGirl

Postby RocketGirl » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:55 pm

I...doubt it.

Do you occasionally feel the need to drink in large quantities and a strange desire to say "thither"?
Um...not so much. I drink sparingly, and I'm not entirely sure I know what "thither" means, though I'm mildly embarrassed to admit it.
And do you ever make this face
Er, well...yes, actually.
oh damn, that would be SO like him to come back as a girl with a highly complex and well-established background.
Wait, what? I assume by "come back", you don't mean "from the dead"...is this some user that was here, made an ass of himself, then left, whose posting style I'm somewhat similar to...or something...?
Introducing new Dark Side RocketGirl™: Quicker, Easier, More Seductive!

ImageImage

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:14 pm

Geology and geography are two different ballgames to be sure, but World Geography was my favorite class in 9th grade and helped get me into the field in the first place.

I can't find words in the language to convey how much you both rock.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:39 pm

I'm not entirely sure I know what "thither" means
Thither?

Thither is evaporated herbal tea without the herbs. Thither is the reason boxes of condoms carry twelve instead of ten. Thither is the blue stripes in the road that never get painted. Thither is place where those socks vanish off to in the laundry. Thither is Pacman without the little dots. Thither is a little pufflike cloud you see at 5pm. Thither is the tool the dentist uses on unruly patients.

Thither is the blank paper that cassette labels are printed on. Thither is where the buses hide at night. Thither is the empty pages at the end of the book. Thither is the screw that falls from the car for no reason. Thither is the little green pebble in your shoe. Thither is the orange print in the Yellow Pages.

Thither is why ducks eat trees. Thither is toast without bread. Thither is a venetian blind without the slats. Thither is the "ooo" in varooom of race cars. Thither is the smallest number greater than zero. Thither lives in the empty space above a decimal point.

RocketGirl

Postby RocketGirl » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:02 pm

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/thither
thither
–adverb
1. Also, thith⋅er⋅ward  /ˈθɪðərwərd, ˈðɪð-/ Pronunciation [thith-er-werd, thith-] thith⋅er⋅wards.
to or toward that place or point; there.
–adjective
2. on the farther or other side or in the direction away from the person speaking; farther; more remote.
:-P
Introducing new Dark Side RocketGirl™: Quicker, Easier, More Seductive!

ImageImage

Return to “Airport”