"Furry Convention Undercover" unbiased FWA account /sarcasm

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

likeafox
Administrator
"Furry Convention Undercover" unbiased FWA account /sarcasm

Postby likeafox » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:08 am

This is a link from Dan
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/13475329

A reporter propagating stereotypes of furries.

Tom_Radigan

Re: "Furry Convention Undercover" unbiased FWA account /sarc

Postby Tom_Radigan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:22 am

I've seen that before on a furry forum. And yes, though must furries or even fursuiters don't engage in this sort of behavior, there are some that do. Like how Sacha Baron Cohen discovered bigots in America by interviewing hundreds of people and inevitably he found some.

LewisTheTank

Postby LewisTheTank » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:11 am

You know the saddest part of all this is it's believable!
Too many who DO act this way tend to take it far enough where stereotyping is unavoidable.
It just so happens I myself am working on a suit and persona and I don't find other males (or even 'animal engagements') worth my time. (Can you say "Married"? I knew you could!)
I am even working on trying to start a convention which might just help our community! I'd love to call it "The Florida Experience", but since there has been conventions in Florida already I'm not so sure that name would work.
What do you think?
8) :?: 8)
"Do you really think you have what it takes? Do you?"

datherman

Postby datherman » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:16 pm

Lewis, starting a con is a HUGE amount of work. I know most of the FWA staff, and they work their asses of year-round just to make FWA as good as it is. Not trying to discourage you, but if you want a truly *fun* con experience, I'd highly recommend Elliot's Spring Gathering coming up in a month or so. It's not really even a con as much as it is a 3-day subsidized party. Sadly I can't go for financial reasons, but it's the cheapest trip to Orlando you will ever experience. Mostly non-creepers too.

Regarding the actual content of the thread here, I heard from someone who was in the room at the time that most of what they said was happening in there was false. I have no doubt that they found a "Cerberus sheath" and everything else *somewhere* at the con, but they imply it was all in the same room, which simply wasn't true.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

LewisTheTank

Postby LewisTheTank » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:14 pm

Hmmm, you said huge. Even capitalized every letter. Had it been me replying, I'd have done it exactly that way. Although I might have used the word "ENORMOUS" for proper clarity.
Week one found me looking for people for various parts of the initial paperwork. These people were all around the city, btw, and not in one place. Four months later, and maybe 200 letters/emails later, I was basically washed out due to lack of interest.
Now, many years later, I'm thinking about trying again. This time I have a different strategy. (Oh yes, FWA is in my sights for contacting. Trust me, I researched!)

And yeah, people do tend to believe the majority even w/o proper study/research/evidence. A pox on them I say.
8) :wag: 8)
"Do you really think you have what it takes? Do you?"

Return to “Anything”