That's gay

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

Are you offended when someone says "That's gay"?

Yes
41%
No
59%

Total votes: 27

Liz
Staff
That's gay

Postby Liz » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:42 pm

I've been genuinely curious about this for a while now.

For as long as I can remember, people around me, including myself, have used the phrase, "That's gay" to show empathy to someone's problems or to some tragedy of sorts. Here is an example of a made-up interaction between two people using said phrase:

Guy 1: "Aw man, I got an F on that last test."
Guy 2: "That's gay."

About a few years ago or so, I stumbled upon an article (I can't remember where exactly, but I know it was a stupid teenager site) that talked about how offensive it was to the person whenever someone used the phrase "that's gay" or any variations of it involving the word 'gay' as a way to express how a situation or thing sucks.

I know this is a dumb poll, and totally unnecessary, but I'm really curious if anyone here (especially those who are gay or consider themselves "bi") actually gets offended by the phrase.

Note: I suddenly see some problems arising if there are people who actually get offended by that phrase... oh well. No flaming D:<

klimt

Re: That's gay

Postby klimt » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:43 pm

i use that expression all the time...course i call most of my gay friends, faggots, all the time as well.

Tom_Radigan

Postby Tom_Radigan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:07 pm

Well, the term I heard growing up was "fag" or "faggy", usually meaning weak or weird rather than outright homosexual.

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:30 pm

I never say this. I know with a lot of close friends it won't matter and the phrase has become quite innocent enough that in most contexts people just laugh it off, but it just never comes to my mind to say it.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:56 pm

It doesn't really offend me per se, it just annoys the pants out of me when people say it, because not only is it overused, it is overused incorrectly. So I voted yes.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Arloest
Moderator (retired)

Postby Arloest » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:21 pm

I also vote yes, for the same reasons Nick mentioned.
Who sleeps shall awake, greeting the shadows from the sun
Who sleeps shall awake, looking through the window of our lives
Waiting for the moment to arrive...
Show us the silence in the rise,
So that we may someday understand...

Maggot Brain

Postby Maggot Brain » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:42 pm

No, because with it's usage today, it's added a new definition to the word.

1: Happy (but nobody really uses it this way)
2: Pillowbiter (the best kind)
3: Anything you don't like
Last edited by Maggot Brain on Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Liz
Staff

Postby Liz » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:47 pm

It doesn't really offend me per se, it just annoys the pants out of me when people say it, because not only is it overused, it is overused incorrectly. So I voted yes.
But how is it used incorrectly? Technically, calling men gay is using it incorrectly as the original meaning of the word was "happy". Words evolve and change/add meanings. No matter how annoying it is. o: So essentially, I agree with Maggot.

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:35 am

I hate it when someone says "That's gay" it's just stupid. When ever people use that, it just doesn't make sense.

Maggot Brain

Postby Maggot Brain » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:43 am

I hate it when someone says "That's gay" it's just stupid. When ever people use that, it just doesn't make sense.
Logic is gay.

osprey

Postby osprey » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:49 am

If you cut out the homosexual reference definition, it's interesting to note how the meaning of the word has come full circle from meaning happy to something that's bad.

I don't use the phrase myself, but it doesn't bother me when others do. I'm not easily offended, and I tend to not even notice things that might offend some.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

sad jazz cantaloupe

Postby sad jazz cantaloupe » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:14 am

I posted "yes I'm offended" but honestly I've gone over discussions like this so many times I don't feel like bothering to read your guys posts lol

[edit] lol nevermind I just did
Apologies to everyone. Except Fritz.
First of all, Fritz, do yourself a favor and research your own answers before you post.

Dr. Dos

Postby Dr. Dos » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:35 am

It doesn't really offend me per se, it just annoys the pants out of me when people say it. So I voted yes.
Anami: Sex with a giant, black scorpion seems fun.

<SteveThePocket> Geez. I want more of this stuff now. Now I know how a horny guy on an imageboard feels.

Æron

Postby Æron » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:57 am

I agree that it is more annoying than offensive, and especially annoying when someone uses it profusely, as if any other synonyms of "dumb" don't exist in their vocabulary.

I do find it more offensive if the person saying it does happen to be anti-gay than if I know they are not. A bit of a double-standard, maybe, but homophobes are more likely to be using it derogatorily and/or actually mean insult when using the word.
Scurry, scurry, Scurryous! You might just be the murriest. You certainly are the furriest! Hurry! Scurry! Scurryous!

Liz
Staff

Postby Liz » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:09 am

I've never heard it used as a derogatory toward homosexuals. o: That's just me.

I will now work on using something else other than, "That's gay."

Return to “Anything”