So, what's taboo?

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

rabid_fox
So, what's taboo?

Postby rabid_fox » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:15 am

Just a ponderous pondering that I did ponder earlier in the evening (as I am wont to do when making coffee).

What exactly is taboo these days? Surely all sorts of sexuality have been removed from taboo and have become a source of morbid interest (2 girls, 1 cup/Goatse/Tubgirl/Pain Olympics and so forth) - sexuality isn't the taboo it once was. If anything, we're openly intrigued these days.

Religion - there's still an element of taboo here, but no so much as there used to be (for example, 'Taking the lord's name in vain' isn't something that causes consternation anymore). Multiculturalism and the rise in spiritual apathy (with no disrespect to either theists or atheists) have killed off the great religious taboo.

Now, traditionally speaking, sex and religion were the two major taboos in, at least, Western society.

I propose that these days, it's the body and physical contact. Here's a little game for you to play. Try to use the word "touch" in conversation. Instead of saying "I was petting my dog," say, "I touched my dog." Instead of saying, "I bumped into that guy," say, "I touched that guy."

Observe the reaction.

If anything, 'touch' is one of the most taboo words in English these days, followed closely by the genital words that we've all seen written over toilet cubicles and that don't need listing.

Double question:

1. Do you agree? If you don't, then what do you see as taboo?
2. If your answer to #1 is 'yes' - why do you think that the body and physical contact is so taboo in modern Western society and what does it say about us? (Anyone who reference Clause 28 here gets bonus points).
Thither

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:21 am

Taboo: a game where you try to make people guess a word without using any taboo'd words or phrases.
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

rabid_fox

Postby rabid_fox » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:23 am

That just got existential, man.
Thither

Cosmic^Chicory

Postby Cosmic^Chicory » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:41 am

Well, just about everywhere else on earth regards the US as incredibly pruddish and stuck up about anything regarding sexuality or body image. That's still just about the biggest taboo going on there - eg, Janet Jackson's Superbowl thing.

Holley

Postby Holley » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:33 am

Well, just about everywhere else on earth regards the US as incredibly pruddish and stuck up about anything regarding sexuality or body image.
Its been my experience that a larger proportion of Americans apply to this that elsewhere in the first world ...

I think Rabid is right about the word 'touch' though ... don't want to put it to the test though :P

osprey

Postby osprey » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:14 am

That's one sexual machine.

Though I definitely agree, touch is one of many words that has been made taboo by the prudishness of North American culture. Though I do believe that this taboo on not just touch, but sexuality as a whole arises from those who regard it as more of a taboo subject responding to the growing portion of the population that regard sexuality in an increasingly open manner, especially compared to even as few as a couple decades ago.

It's gotten to the point where, at least in my neck of the woods, it's better to jam oneself against a standee pole in a bus rather than brush against someone.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Burning Sheep Productions

Postby Burning Sheep Productions » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:23 am

The physical act of touching is much more taboo than it once was. There's probably a link there.
Burning Sheep Productions

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:16 pm

Although I see your point, this doesn't occur everywhere. In Italy, for example, it is common for one to hug any friend (of either gender) as greeting. They are very easygoing about physical contact.

In the English-speaking world, however, I would agree that the verb 'touch' when referring to another living thing has developed connotations which most would consider unacceptable.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:53 pm

I feel you, man. :-P
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

Ibun

Postby Ibun » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:33 pm

I've touched children before.
Killin' the first born of lyrical Yul Brynners.

Extreme-Speed

Postby Extreme-Speed » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:19 am

I've touched my parents and my brother before.

Gecko

Postby Gecko » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:48 am

...you've, left it open! Too... too easy!

I touch myself.
Anami and Anami are sitting around Anami says "GRR I AM ANGSTY LET'S EXPRESS ANGST" and so Anami says "ONE OF THE MODS ON DC IS A DICK I POSTED A PICTURE THAT WASN'T REALLY THAT INAPPROPRIATE AND THREE MODS SAW IT AND DID NOTHING THEN A FOURTH ONE SAW IT AND DELETED IT" and Anami says "OMG I HATE MODS >:("

Cosmic^Chicory

Postby Cosmic^Chicory » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:26 am

*touches cute fluffy kitties on a regular basis*

Kazapsky

Postby Kazapsky » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:38 am

We all touch our keyboards in order to type these posts.

Liz
Staff

Postby Liz » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:59 am

...you've, left it open! Too... too easy!

I touch myself.
Aw. You got to it before I did. D:

Return to “Anything”