The Define 'Cynical' Christmas Card Exchange - 2007 Edition

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

baloki
Staff
The Define 'Cynical' Christmas Card Exchange - 2007 Edition

Postby baloki » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:21 pm

JANUARY 1ST 2008 UPDATE
The card exchange was a success, I'd like to thank everyone who took part, you've made some people's Christmasses this year extra special and I wish you all good luck, health and memories for 2008 and look forward to next years Card Exchange :D!

If you'd like to see a photo of the cards I received click here!

-----------------------------------------------------

NOVEMBER 27TH 2007 UPDATE
The chance to sign up is now over, all the addresses have been sent out and now it's time for YOU to do your part! Also you should post photos of your cards when they arrive :)

-----------------------------------------------------

So after last years success I vowed to do another one of these again this year.

It's very simple to get involved, all you need to do is PM myself a name and address (only the address need be real, the name can be your net nick, or something else).

Then on the closing date (tbc - probably around the 25th November) I'll PM everyone who sent in their addresses a list of other addresses to send to (If we have alot of people take part this year I'll limit the amount sent to each person so you're not paying through the nose in postage :p).

If your interested in taking part please post in this thread as well as PM'ing me, you know build up some excitement! Oh and I know it's early but the final Christmas posting dates in the UK are very early this year too :o

Edit: If you can only afford to send cards to certain places or a certain number of cards please specify in your PM the limits for me :D

Edit2: Just a note based on some questions I've been asked, if your living with your parents and not an adult (if that makes sense), check with your legal guardian before giving out your home address. I dun wanna be responsible for people getting shouted at :(
Last edited by baloki on Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:28 am, edited 4 times in total.

Do you believe in Lady Luck Now? Yeah Lady Bad Luck!

CodeCat

Postby CodeCat » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:24 pm

PMed! And I can't really say if there is a limit, I've never done this before. But I'm certainly not counting on much more than say, 10, or 20 at the very most.
Furries? Are they the nutters that pretend to be animals and draw humans that look like animals? Christ, I sink my head into my paws... -Rooster

Miles E Traysandor

Postby Miles E Traysandor » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:36 pm

Hm, maybe. Kind of leery about posting my real name up though, and I can't be sure that the mail delivery person will actually deliver the mail to my actual address (with the internet name, yes MET is a fake name, live with it).

Though I just got a random idea, I can always test the water sending a message to myself via the mail using my parents address as the return address. *shrug*
This signature may spontaneously combust at any given moment. Make sure there's a fresh can of gasoline handy.

Remember, call in the next ten minutes to recieve your Absolutely Free Official Llewellyn Inaction Figure! [Shipping, Handling, and resulting Dragon Conspiracies not included]

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:26 pm

The person I sent a card to last year quit Define Cynical. I don't know if I can go through that kind of emotional displacement again.
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

TyVulpine

Postby TyVulpine » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:38 pm

I don't think I will either. There was...unpleasantries... with it.

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:35 am

PM'd.

Liz
Staff

Postby Liz » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:29 am

I PM'd this mornin'. ¦D

Arloest
Moderator (retired)

Postby Arloest » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:47 am

Nope. Made it a rule 6 years ago never ever EVER to give out my address over an internet forum or some sort of social network that doesn't involve online shopping, no matter how much I trust the people involved. Sticking to it.
Who sleeps shall awake, greeting the shadows from the sun
Who sleeps shall awake, looking through the window of our lives
Waiting for the moment to arrive...
Show us the silence in the rise,
So that we may someday understand...

Hanging Tree

Postby Hanging Tree » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:53 am

Hm, maybe. Kind of leery about posting my real name up though, and I can't be sure that the mail delivery person will actually deliver the mail to my actual address (with the internet name, yes MET is a fake name, live with it).

Though I just got a random idea, I can always test the water sending a message to myself via the mail using my parents address as the return address. *shrug*

I don't see why they wouldn't deliver it. Especially since your internet name is a real name. At worse the mailman should just assume you have a new man lover.

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:01 am

I've had the same mailman for years and he has delivered mail to my house addressed to dozens of my obviously fake Internet names. Here's a few.
  • Doc Sigma
    Tony Fantastic
    No Carrier
    Chuckles McFuckberry
    Bob Sodomy
So, a not-obviously-fake name wouldn't be a problem. Hell, he probably doesn't even look at anything other than the address, unless he is a very strange mailman. But, if you are honestly iffy about giving out your name but not your address? Then, don't give your name, and in your PM give instructions that people should address the cards to Resident.

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:41 am

Do you actually go by Chuckles McFuckberry? Can I start calling you that?
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

Angstwolf

Postby Angstwolf » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:47 pm

Nope. Made it a rule 6 years ago never ever EVER to give out my address over an internet forum or some sort of social network that doesn't involve online shopping, no matter how much I trust the people involved. Sticking to it.
Lame. You are lame. Lame!

And after I joined your Wile E. Coyote group, too. I feel so betrayed. :(

EDIT: Oh yeah and I'm doing this.

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:07 pm

Do you actually go by Chuckles McFuckberry? Can I start calling you that?
You can call me that if you'd like. It's a name that I used to use on web forms that require an address when I had NO interest in receiving mail from the site in question. When I started getting stuff addressed to Chuckles McFuckberry, I knew that they were selling my address even though their privacy policy said that they wouldn't.

Now that that name is "out there" in mailing list world, I need to exercise a bit more caution to see if a particular site is being unscrupulous. So what I do is, on the 2nd address line I put "Attn: {sitename} Bulk Removal Dept." so I know exactly who's doing it (unless they just remove that line, which probably happens in some operations but not in others... humans reading the stuff? Fie!).

But yeah. Call me Chuckles McFuckberry if you'd like. Maybe it'll be my new nom de guerre should I tire of Doc Sigma (or should the name become associated with something I wish to avoid forever).

Liz
Staff

Postby Liz » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:09 pm

I am honestly not worried. Although, looking at my current situation, I may be the only girl out of a lot of guys. xD
I'm still not worried, but I guess I should PM Baloki and tell him a different name I can be put under.
*does so right now*

EDIT: Actually, I just realized that it probably doesn't matter. << My address would give away who I am. lmao

baloki
Staff

Postby baloki » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:25 pm

I'll change your name to something random should I remember :p

Do you believe in Lady Luck Now? Yeah Lady Bad Luck!

Return to “Anything”