The Code Nov 21st, 2006

Discussion of any of the archived O&M comics, and potential new ones should they ever come about.

Moderator:Æron

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:12 pm

Do you have statistical evidence that supports that the vast majority of those who deviate from the norm are only rebelling for the sake of rebelling?

You can't just make sweeping generalizations like that without backing them up. Links, quotes, et cetera.
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

sandblaster

Postby sandblaster » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:14 pm

You don't need links when it comes to common sense. Having five pounds of MEHTUL chains on your pants doesn't serve any purpose other then to make peaple notice that you are different from them with your stupid MEHTUL chains connected to your pants

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:30 pm

Argumentum ad populum. A fallacious argument that concludes a proposition to be true just because everybody believes it. Appeal to "common sense." One of the many argumentational fallacies.

To summarize: just because everybody believes it doesn't make it true.

I'm a communication major. I'll get a decent debate out of you if I have to dredge up every lesson I've learned. Try again.

My deviantART account

sandblaster

Postby sandblaster » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:37 pm

Don't throw your science mumbo jumbo at me. I see what I see and I know what is true. I may not be able to afford some fancy pants college but I can tell when somebody needs to stop being so wierd

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:40 pm

Ie, when somebody varies too differently from yourself? I assume that you consider yourself reasonably normal of course.

My deviantART account

sandblaster

Postby sandblaster » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:46 pm

I consider myself normal, but I understand differences. I don't like sweaters, but if people like sweaters then thats cool. However is somebody is walking around in a pair of skin tight pink hotpants and a leather vest covered in rainbows then they are a weirdo. If they are beat up for that it is a situation they easily could have avoided by not dress wierd, but they chose to be weirsd

NHJ BV

Postby NHJ BV » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:54 pm

I consider myself normal, but I understand differences. I don't like sweaters, but if people like sweaters then thats cool. However is somebody is walking around in a pair of skin tight pink hotpants and a leather vest covered in rainbows then they are a weirdo. If they are beat up for that it is a situation they easily could have avoided by not dress wierd, but they chose to be weirsd
Dressing weird is not, and has never been a good reason for beating someone up, even if it's done on purpose. Children should be taught that by their parents. If you don't like how somebody dresses, ignore them.
Zen Master Ikyoto said: "The world is vast and wide. Why, then, do you wear pants in which you could smuggle Volkswagens?"

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:55 pm

So, it's the person's fault for dressing in that way? Is it also a raped woman's fault for dressing in a supposedly provocative manner? Or does the fault lie with the person who inflicted the violence?

You say that the person in the example could have avoided getting beat up by just dressing "normally" but would you say that Jews could have avoided all the persecution and problems that's plagued them through the centuries by converting to a more "normal" relgion?

My deviantART account

sandblaster

Postby sandblaster » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:59 pm

I am saying that the wied person deserves partial blame. It is not fair that they can't dress weird without people reacting in a normal fashion but they can avoid it by not acting weird.

As for Jews, that is an entirely different situation that has no relevence here. Besides I would say JEws are doing pretty well for themselves considering some of the stuff Israel gets away with

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:04 pm

I am saying that the wied person deserves partial blame. It is not fair that they can't dress weird without people reacting in a normal fashion but they can avoid it by not acting weird.

As for Jews, that is an entirely different situation that has no relevence here. Besides I would say JEws are doing pretty well for themselves considering some of the stuff Israel gets away with
It has relevence in that I'm drawing a comparison. In many points of history, such as the Spanish Inquisition Jews were forced to either abandon their culture and adopt an entirely new one or abandon their home in Spain. They had to act "not weird" in order to avoid being tortured and killed.

So a person carries partial blame for what they wear? What if somebody beat you because you were wearing a shirt that featured a band that they didn't like? Is that your fault for wearing the shirt?

My deviantART account

sandblaster

Postby sandblaster » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:06 pm

That is a case of the person being crazy, and if they beat me everytime I wore the shirt, and I had no defense other hten not wearing the shirt where they could see me then i woudl not wear the shirt

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:12 pm

But why should you be forced to change your behavior to conform to this other person's craziness?

My deviantART account

Luke B.

Postby Luke B. » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:13 pm

People who change themselves so they can be 'normal' are cowards.

That is, if you change who you are because you fear violence, you are acting out of fear, because you are afraid of other people - and that isn't healthy.

Learn to stick up for yourself, be proud of who you are, and if people want to hurt you because of that, stand up to it, take the beating if you have to, fight back if you can.

Because if you don't, then you'll always be running away.

sandblaster

Postby sandblaster » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:19 pm

I guess acting like a smart perosn is cowardly then I am smart.

BEcuse you know it would sure be brave if I decided to just urintate whenever I had to no matter where I am. Doing that would make me brave not weird

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:27 pm

Oh no you don't. Public urination (in the manner of a sloshed freshman) and wearing "weird" clothes are completely different matters.

My deviantART account

Return to “O&M Strips”