Tues. Dec 18, 2007 -- Father

Discussion of any of the archived O&M comics, and potential new ones should they ever come about.

Moderator:Æron

Karrde712
Tues. Dec 18, 2007 -- Father

Postby Karrde712 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:20 am

I don't generally post on forums, but I wanted to say something about this comic. It really spoke to me in a way that very few people will ever understand.

I am an adoptee. I've known this for my entire life, or long enough as makes no difference. Nearly everyone that knows me at all knows this about me.

Whenever they first hear that I'm adopted, nearly always the first question they ask is "So have you ever tried to find your real parents?"

When I was young, this always really bothered me. Who are these people who raised me, clothed me, and loved me for my entire life if not my real parents?

For most of my life, I never sought out my biological parents because, frankly, I was sure that there was no way that they could ever measure up to the family I'd lived with all of my life.

A few months ago, my wife and I became pregnant, and for the first time in my life, I actually had a true need to learn something about my biological family. Specifically, I needed to know if there was anything in my medical history that I should be aware of for the babby. So I finally went and did a bit of digging through decades-old medical records in order to glean what information I could.

That was an emotional day for me, and I found out a lot of things that, many times, I wish I hadn't. For all that I had prepared myself that my biological family could never be as good as my real family, it was still a shock to learn how bad my life could have been if not for having been adopted.

Ozy is in a similar position to where I was in my life for a very long time. He made the same choice I did, for so long, to accept my adopted parents as my real parents and remain blissfully ignorant of the truth.

While it may be self-serving to say so, I think it takes a lot of maturity to recognize at his age that his real father is Llewellyn.

SotiCoto

Postby SotiCoto » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:25 am

[mod edit: edited out a lot of stupid things]
If you are under the age of 18, you are advised not to interact with me.

Karrde712

Postby Karrde712 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:44 am

No offense, but I'm not going to answer that question on the Internet.

Things were bad and there were a lot of legitimate reasons why I was put up for adoption. That's really all the explanation necessary here.

The point of my post was to recognize Ozy's mature approach to a very difficult situation. I did so by relating an anecdote of my own personal history, with which this comic struck a cord.

We now return to your regularly-scheduled thread.

SotiCoto

Postby SotiCoto » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:50 am

[mod edit: edited out several more stupid things]
If you are under the age of 18, you are advised not to interact with me.

KJ Fellie

Postby KJ Fellie » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:52 am

Welcome to the forum, by the way.
http://ozyandmillie.org/d/20071218.html
Father
Seems to me like one more interesting detail for Ozy to store up in that sharp mind of his.
I'm in a completely different situation. I was raised by both parents as an only child. If, however, I were adopted, I would be somewhat curious as to who my biological family was, mainly because I have an interest in where my genes come from. I'm weird that way.
Quoth the spotted fox: <b>*yerf*</b> :locke:
You usually
have to take what people say
with a grain of salt.
(or in cases like
mine, a shaker or two may
yield the best result.)

むらがあるフォックス
If you miss my old sigs...

mossy toes

Postby mossy toes » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:01 pm

There's a Watterson. When discussing philisophical viewpoints, have them cross a log.

Oh, and a missing apostophe.

Still, a good comic, reinforcing the 'it doesn't matter' attitude.
We are TURTLE. You will be assimilated.

Quis Custodes Ipsos Custodiet?

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:58 pm

I have a "conspiracy theory" that Llewellyn is not only Ozy's adoptive father but his blood-father too,
Nope. DCS has specified that there will be no hybrids in O&M. Or at least no unusual ones; mules might still be an option.
my wife and I became pregnant
Wow, both of you? :grin:
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

VenM2
Location:Savannah College of Art and Design. Not really, I just go there for school.

Postby VenM2 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:13 pm

I wonder how many times Ozy and Millie crossed that log? I'd have no idea how I would react if I was adopted but since I have a fairly care-free attitude I don't think I would have put much thought into it and just live the day and make the best of it. Though I still can't imagine what it is like to be adopted, since I have both my parents and sister.

KJ Fellie

Postby KJ Fellie » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:19 pm

Probably about the same, only you might differ in appearance more than with a blood relation.
Quoth the spotted fox: <b>*yerf*</b> :locke:
You usually
have to take what people say
with a grain of salt.
(or in cases like
mine, a shaker or two may
yield the best result.)

むらがあるフォックス
If you miss my old sigs...

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:47 pm

I'm making a note here: Immolation equals love.
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

Rasputin42x69

Postby Rasputin42x69 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:17 pm

That's one of the things that I love about Ozy; He's incredibly mature for his age, yet he still knows how to be a kid. :)
Having been witness to both of my sister's pregnancies, I can say with authority that this isn't far from the truth at all. Just ask my brothers-in-law. ;)
Anyone who takes anything I say seriously deserves what they get.
The Holy Devil, out. ^_^

datherman

Postby datherman » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:08 am

I have a feeling this strip was at least partially in response to the comments we here made to the previous strips, and the whole dispute over "real" vs "biological" parentage. Just a guess anyway.

Regardless, this is a great end to a very emotional series. Karrde's story shows that it hit home to quite a few people.

Ozy's a lot more perceptive than I think I could ever be.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

TyVulpine

Postby TyVulpine » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:35 am

Aye, it isn't always necessary for an adopted child to find out about his/her real parents. Dave Thomas (founder of Wendy's resturants) was adopted, but was never able to find out who his biological parents were.

Foxhound

Postby Foxhound » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:59 am

True. I think adopted kids should probably not meet their biological parents until they're old enough, or, if they're the type who understands nothing, never. It would cause too much trouble in most cases.
Image < http://stopvirgin.movielol.org/
ImageImage
"No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up."

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:11 am

Having been witness to both of my sister's pregnancies, I can say with authority that this isn't far from the truth at all. Just ask my brothers-in-law. ;)
I'm sure your sisters would beg to differ.
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

Return to “O&M Strips”