Which Hogwarts house would they be in?

Discuss everything related to Ozy and Millie.
DHLawrence
Which Hogwarts house would they be in?

Postby DHLawrence » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:04 am

Since the world of Harry Potter has entered the news again, I've remembered a question I've thought about once or twice: which house at Hogwarts would the characters be in?

My initial thoughts were:

Ozy: Ravenclaw or Gryffindor
Millie: Gryffindor
Stephan: Ravenclaw
Avery: Gryffindor (only because all the cool kids are in Gryffindor)
Timulty: Hufflepuff
Felicia: Slytherin (though her 'cool' status would give her a shot at Gryffindor)
Jeremy: Slytherin
Isolde: Gryffindor

I can also see Llewellyn as Hogwarts headmaster and Principal Beau Vine as Minister of Magic.

Thoughts?

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:11 pm

Ozy's more Ravenclaw than Gryffindor. Then again, Hermione usually seems more like a Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff, and she couldn't explain why she wasn't.

Millie just might find herself in Harry's position: the Sorting Hat wants to say "Slytherin," but by her insistence otherwise, it settles for Gryffindor. I mean, she is an ambitious hellion.

If Felicia and Jeremy are in Slytherin, then it wouldn't make much sense for Avery to choose Gryffindor for its "cool people." He likes Ozy and Millie, but he rarely thinks of them as cool. If he isn't adamant about his house, then maybe he'll wind up in Hufflepuff, the house of the try-harders.

Stephan also is a good candidate for Hufflepuff. He may be a nerd, but he doesn't strike me as bright enough for Ravenclaw. He expected a job in Silicon Valley at age 10 and spelled "elite" as "1-3-3-t" at the spelling bee, for crying out loud.

I'm inclined to assign Isolde to Slytherin. She's so given to scheming.

I suppose Ms. Sorkowitz could take the place of Professor McGonagall. Mr. Larnblatt... maybe Professor Flitwick.
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:43 pm

Ozy: Ravenclaw. Intellectual, definitely not brave or cunning or stupid. Of all the characters, he's the one who would be the easiest to sort, in my opinion.
Millie: Ravenclaw. The hat would try to put her into Slytherin, but she wouldn't let it.
Stephan: Who cares, he's not in the story anymore.
Avery: Hufflepuff, but he'd hate it.
Timulty: Hufflepuff, and he'd think it's awesome.
Felicia: Slytherin
Jeremy: Slytherin
Isolde: Gryffindor

kodra22

Postby kodra22 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:07 pm

People seem to confuse Ozy's wisdom for intelligence. Ozy's father has at times actively discouraged learning as all knowledge is prone to error or misinterpretation, and it is more important to attain inner peace and wisdom than to concern oneself with knowledge.

Granted there isn't really a Zen house but I think that Ozy's main personal characteristic that I have noticed is that he is a constantly loyal companion to Millie, sticking beside her even when it clearly isn't in his benefit to do so (see the many Haircut experiments). By that right I'd probably place Ozy into the Hufflepuff house.

I don't think Jeremy has the cunning to be a Slytherin really, though I never understood why either of Draco's minions were sorted as Slytherin's either. Probably because the author felt like having a house where all of the people who would turn out to be the villains went. But that's a Harry Potter rant I don't feel like getting into.

Millie would sort similarly to Harry. She's a toss up between her cunning getting her into Slytherin or her Brashness getting her into Gryffindor. I'd guess Gryffindor because her outspoken nature.

Isolde would be a Slytherin, she's always got her fingers in some conspiricy or another.

Avery would probably get sorted into Hufflepuff and desperately wish he was with the cool Slytherin kids.

But really, it's hard to say because Sorting Rules in the canon are so horribly inconsistent with the people in the particular houses that they don't work out about 50% of the time.

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:32 pm

I never understood why either of Draco's minions were sorted as Slytherin's either. Probably because the author felt like having a house where all of the people who would turn out to be the villains went. But that's a Harry Potter rant I don't feel like getting into.
You're right, you're definitely right... but if asked, Rowling would probably say that Crabbe and Goyle wound up in Slytherin because they're pureblood wizards whose parents were also in Slytherin. Salazar considered blood purity at LEAST as important as the various Slytherin personality traits, and the books have made it clear that houses tend to run in families (Sirius Black being the hugest exception, of course).

uhh

:offtopic: sry

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:31 pm

In Snape's memory Dumbledore did say that he thought they sorted too soon, feeling Snape would have made a better Gryffindor.

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:06 am

Sorting by personality is stupid anyway. Putting people only with their like reinforces those personality traits that define the Houses.

You put all the bigoted, evil-inclined impressionable young minds together and WHAT DO YOU KNOW? They grow up to be fascist cult blackshirts. Whuddathunk?
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:31 pm

Sorting by personality is stupid anyway. Putting people only with their like reinforces those personality traits that define the Houses.
So you prefer the arrangements that make everyone the same? (j/k)
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:09 pm

I prefer arrangements that didn't lead to polarization of potentially dangerous personality traits. Also, I prefer pies.

My deviantART account

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:20 pm

You put all the bigoted, evil-inclined impressionable young minds together and WHAT DO YOU KNOW? They grow up to be fascist cult blackshirts. Whuddathunk?
This is truth, but it does make for easy storytelling. :)

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:18 am

This is truth, but it does make for easy storytelling. :)
Touche. You may have hit the nail on the head

My deviantART account

Return to “Ozy and Millie”