Who says webcomics don't make a profit?

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

The Donmeister
Who says webcomics don't make a profit?

Postby The Donmeister » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:21 am

I remember reading a thread a while ago about whether or not webcomic artists can make decent money off their strips, and I thought this might be interesting.

http://pholph.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=345202#345202

The idea was auctioning off a series of pictures depicting your fursona having a date with whomever you bid on. I found it pretty impressive that they made $2200 off 5 characters, even though only one of them is a main character in the strip! Granted they seem to have a fairly large fanbase, and the money was all used to keep the site running, but still, it shows you there's potential to make money if you've got a good idea.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:16 pm

even though only one of them is a main character in the strip
I'll say. I cannot, off the top of my head, recall who the other four even are. And too lazy to reread the entire archives to find out.

Tabris_The_17th

Postby Tabris_The_17th » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:41 pm

So does this means there's hope that one day I can quit my day job and just draw little characters talking to eachother all day?.............SCORE!!!

That does seem like an interesting auction though. Amazing to see the lengths people went.
www.aiacrowd.com- Now updating every Tuesday and Friday!
"Like a post modern Peanuts with cat eared girls...kinda"

Khaz

Postby Khaz » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:18 pm

You think this is expensive, how about the Adam Wan comission that sold for $2001 (I think)? That's for ONE PICTURE.
I have just successfully wasted several seconds of your time by making you read this signature!

Luke B.

Postby Luke B. » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:06 pm

Heck, at last years Childs Play charity dinner, Penny Arcade auctioned off an appearance in their comic for something close to $20,000.

ShadOtterdan

Postby ShadOtterdan » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:02 pm

Wouldn't that not count as a profit? Seeing as how it's going to charity?
By the power of greyskull, I'm not sure I believe that.

Luke B.

Postby Luke B. » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:50 am

Yeah, but if it hadn't been, they could probably have pulled in the same amount.

But yeah, the PA guys each of their families from Penny Arcade stuff, and I know they have at least 5 or 6 employes.

Futhermore, comics like Megatokyo, PVP, Something Positive, Errant Story, and dozens, probably hundreds or more others I'm forgetting are made as the creators full-time jobs.

Tons of people make money from their webcomics - it all comes down to how good the comic is, and how well the creators create marketable opportunities.

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:56 pm

I don't like the way Hopkins does that sort of stuff. All power to him, it's his site and creation...I just don't like being begged for money from people. I mean, I have no money, and I draw an online comic...

How is it that so many other cartoonists are like "gimme some money and I'll draw"...I just want people to read it, sod the money. Money sucks, and corrupts.

He who chases the money bill, it illudes him...he who eludes the money bill, it chases him.

Luke B.

Postby Luke B. » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:13 pm

I don't like the way Hopkins does that sort of stuff. All power to him, it's his site and creation...I just don't like being begged for money from people. I mean, I have no money, and I draw an online comic...
Huh? I've never seen any of the PA guys ask for money, outside of three months in 1999/maybe2000 when the site needed money or it would cease to exist.

Right now I think reports are each of the two guy running Penny Arcade make something like half a million a year each, just from selling shirts, ad-space, etc. Basic stuff, but people want it.

Besides, if I want to give my favorite cartoonist something in return for all they've given for free, it makes me feel good to do so. :)

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:00 pm

I meant the dude that draws Jack actually, Dave Hopkins.

Richard K Niner

Postby Richard K Niner » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:48 pm

Huh? I've never seen any of the PA guys ask for money, outside of three months in 1999/maybe2000 when the site needed money or it would cease to exist.
Hopkins, not Holkins...
<center>Image
K9U | Dog House | Av rotation</center>

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:42 pm

So does this means there's hope that one day I can quit my day job and just draw little characters talking to eachother all day?.............SCORE!!!
I'm fairly sure you have to have a very very succesful comic to be able to live off it.

Dragon-Dancer

Postby Dragon-Dancer » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:29 pm

True, or at least a solid following and stuff you can sell.

Jay Naylor - http://www.jaynaylor.com/ also earns a living from his work but then again he does have a for profit business side to his free work.

I really don't have a problem with artists wanting to get paid for their work, I don't like the whole 'pay me and I'll draw' model though. As a web comic it makes more sense to offer your readers something for free alongside what you might offer for a small fee and it should help get people familiar with your work as well.

Of course this is the same argument I have when it comes to music and the apparent greed of music companies.

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:55 pm

Jay Naylor's artwork is pretty damned good....I just get annoyed by the conservative undertones in most of his stuff.

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:48 pm

Naylor has the marketing advantage of dirtiness.

Return to “Anything”