Korean War Coming?

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

likeafox
Administrator
Korean War Coming?

Postby likeafox » Tue May 25, 2010 3:48 am

Tensions are rising steeply on the Korean peninsula these days, following North Korea's most trollish provocation in decades. Almost two months ago today, the North shot a torpedo at a South warship, sinking it and killing 46 of the crew on board. The investigation into the incident completed late last week, which found out, yup, the North did it. Since then, they have been discussing tougher sanctions on their already heavily sanctioned relations, and now South Korea is:
  • Stopping inter-Korean trade
  • Banning North Korean ships from using South Korean waterways or shortcuts
  • Resuming "psychological warfare"
  • Referring the case to the UN Security Council
Until recently it was assumed the armistice would continue on for a long time. But now there is unrest and fear that war will break out:
South Koreans divided over Cheonan response (BBC)

If full war did break out between the two, I think it would be the costliest conflict in terms of infrastructure, in our lifetimes. What do you guys think?

Æron

Re: Korean War Coming?

Postby Æron » Tue May 25, 2010 4:19 am

It would probably be the costliest in terms of lives as well... But I don't think it will come to full-scale war. NK is too heavily armed for SK to even think about a militaristic retaliation without knowing they would be hurt badly in the process, even though the North would inevitably fall.
Scurry, scurry, Scurryous! You might just be the murriest. You certainly are the furriest! Hurry! Scurry! Scurryous!

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Tue May 25, 2010 5:18 am

Just in case, I'd better start watching those old duck and cover videos.
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

likeafox
Administrator

Postby likeafox » Tue May 25, 2010 7:06 am

Things haven't been this dicey in the Koreas in our lifetimes either, which is what prompted me to post this. The other main event was the second nuclear test by NK (the first being the questionably-happened one).

I wanted to say costliest in terms of lives as well, but I haven't studied every war in my lifetime to have said that with certainty. I know some of the stuff in Africa has been very deadly.

North Korea has a huge army and a trove of chemical weapons. Beyond that they have very arguable srsbsns missile and nuclear capabilities, and in most other ways they're stuck in a timewarp. They're greatly technologically inferior and don't produce enough ammunition to train their forces properly. It'll be hard to say how advantageous the technological barrier will be, because modern warfare between forces like these will have been unprecedented, but it'll still be significant. Again, third largest army in the world, and they have the largest army relative to their population by a factor of, I think, TEN. Enough to keep their country locked down tight and still have a massive invasion force. That guarantees carnage.

Anyways, I completely agree that SK has everything to lose by engaging in full war, and they're going to do everything they can to avoid that. But it is pretty obvious than NK is the one who presses the buttons in this relationship and that's what its been doing for the past 50 years. I have a feeling though that if the wrong button is pressed, and any sort of war breaks out, NK is going to feel threatened and isn't going to hold back. The South will have no choice but to return in kind.

Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Fri May 28, 2010 4:49 am

I imagine SK will want to make this a U.N. action. That would give them more help military wise and also wouldn't leave them burdened to take care of NK after the war.

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Fri May 28, 2010 5:27 am

I highly doubt there will be a war. No one in that region wants one, especially South Korea.

Tom_Radigan

Postby Tom_Radigan » Sat May 29, 2010 12:29 pm

Another reason SK doesn't want war. Guess where its capital Seoul is? Right near the border with NK, and in fact during the 1950 Korean War, it changed hands several times. On top of that, it is right within range of NK's huge missle arsenal.

Æron

Postby Æron » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:54 am

Scurry, scurry, Scurryous! You might just be the murriest. You certainly are the furriest! Hurry! Scurry! Scurryous!

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:09 pm

Does this mean they're gunna remake M*A*S*H*?

likeafox
Administrator

Postby likeafox » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:55 pm

I always thought M*A*S*H was about the Vietnam war.

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:28 pm

Sort of...it was set in Korea but it was meant to be a commentary on Vietnam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MASH_(film)

Return to “World Events”