Popular entertainment you liked (or didn't)?

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

Trance
Re: Popular entertainment you liked (or didn't)?

Postby Trance » Tue May 11, 2010 4:26 pm

The Wire absolutely destroyed all other crime dramas for me. I used to like NCIS too, but after one season of The Wire my frame of reference as to what's actually good television has been drastically shifted. Now I can't stand five minutes of NCIS. Or those shows with quirky detectives as central characters. Or pretty much any show that tries to depict police work as cute or fun.

Tom_Radigan

Postby Tom_Radigan » Tue May 11, 2010 5:16 pm

I remember hearing about Richard Pryor saying that the then-popular commercials featuring various celebrities putting out anti-drug messages were ineffective, and he said that what television should do instead was not put out programs like "Miami Vice" which he felt glamorized drugs.

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Tue May 11, 2010 5:40 pm

Or those shows with quirky detectives as central characters. Or pretty much any show that tries to depict police work as cute or fun.
Not even Monk?

Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Wed May 12, 2010 2:17 am

The Wire absolutely destroyed all other crime dramas for me. I used to like NCIS too, but after one season of The Wire my frame of reference as to what's actually good television has been drastically shifted. Now I can't stand five minutes of NCIS. Or those shows with quirky detectives as central characters. Or pretty much any show that tries to depict police work as cute or fun.

Never seen The Wire, but Homicide is the same way to me. The episode where the entire hour is two detectives drilling the suspect they know did it, but can't prove it without a confession is so much more powerful then anything else on most crime shows.

Trance

Postby Trance » Wed May 12, 2010 2:52 am

Not even Monk?
I was really just including straight-up crime dramas in that broad brush of mine, and I'd consider Monk to be part drama and part comedy. I still didn't enjoy watching Monk, but you're right in that it would be unfair to lump it in with shows like NUMB3RS, Bones or The Mentalist since Monk isn't pressed from the same mold.
Never seen The Wire
See it. Someone's got to have the first season for rent somewhere near you. The scattered Youtube clips of the show don't come close to doing it justice.

Caoimhin
Location:In the magical land of Jersey... Watch your step and don't trip on the cows.

Postby Caoimhin » Wed May 12, 2010 3:40 am

Probably the most overrated TV sitcom is Fawlty Towers, and I suspect its popularity is only because John Cleese was in it. He can be very funny, but in this show he basically overacted and screamed like a banshee, and I thought the show silly rather than clever.
Fawlty Towers is an excellent sitcom, in my opinion. John Cleese does overact occasionally but not to any detrimental effect, and some episodes probably qualify as among the greatest in British comedy.
I love Fawlty Towers. I actually liked it because it was silly. While we're on the subject of former Pythons, I love Time Bandits. I also enjoyed The Adventures of Baron Manchausen, it was surprising to see a very young Uma Thurma. Apparently it was one of her first films.
Then theres Rowan Atkinson... Black Adder is amazing, I never had an oppurntunity to watch past the Dark Ages one.
I used to watch Upstairs, Downstairs with my parents, but I don't recall much.

Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Wed May 12, 2010 4:06 am

Yeah, I'll rent The Wire. Rent it from bit torrent.

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Wed May 12, 2010 6:34 am

Caoimhin, you should see Blackadder seasons 3 and 4. Hugh Laurie has a costarring role and is why I can't watch House and take it seriously.
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

Caoimhin
Location:In the magical land of Jersey... Watch your step and don't trip on the cows.

Postby Caoimhin » Wed May 12, 2010 12:23 pm

Caoimhin, you should see Blackadder seasons 3 and 4. Hugh Laurie has a costarring role and is why I can't watch House and take it seriously.
I'm aware of that. I've also seen Black Adder's Christmas Carol and remember him in one of his roles. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to stream the series soon on my Blu-Ray player. Netflix works amazingly.

Trance

Postby Trance » Wed May 12, 2010 1:14 pm

Yeah, I'll rent The Wire. Rent it from bit torrent.
That works too. I was lucky enough to find the series box set on sale for $140, but free is definitely a better price.
Blackadder [. . .] is why I can't watch House and take it seriously.
QFT.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Wed May 12, 2010 7:48 pm

On the subject of Hugh Laurie, A Bit of Fry and Laurie is a great sketch show by him and Stephen Fry. Very clever humour which I understand was groundbreaking at the time (not that it has anything to do with how great it is). It's up there with Flying Circus in terms of sketch comedy.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Thu May 13, 2010 6:32 pm

Black Adder is amazing, I never had an oppurntunity to watch past the Dark Ages one.
Second and Fourth seasons are some of the greatest comedy shows I've seen. Blackadder's bitterness and sarcasm at everything really grows more subtle and hilariously terrible. Maybe because the writing staff changed but the first season feels like a completely different show.

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Wed May 19, 2010 9:47 pm

Hello? Yes, yes, I'd like to leave a message for the head of the Flying Corps, please. That's Air Chief Marshall Sir Hugh Massingbird-Massingbird, VC, DFC and Bar. Message reads "Where are you you bastard".

Return to “Anything”