Swedes kill bunnies then burn them for warmth

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)
Swedes kill bunnies then burn them for warmth

Postby nickspoon » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:08 pm

Swedes divided over bunny biofuel
Residents in Stockholm are divided over reports that rabbits are being used to make biofuel.

The bodies of thousands of rabbits are fuelling a heating plant in central Sweden, local newspapers say.

The city of Stockholm has an annual cull of thousands of rabbits to protect the capital's parks and green spaces.

The rabbits, not native to Sweden, are mainly the offspring of pets released by owners, and are said to be destroying parks in the capital.

Since they have no natural predators, the city administration of Stockholm employs hunters to kill the rabbits.

Tommy Tuvunger, one of the hunters, told Germany's Spiegel website that 6,000 rabbits were culled last year, and another 3,000 this year.

"They are a very big problem," he said. "Once culled, the rabbits are frozen and when we have enough, a contractor comes and takes them away."

The frozen rabbits are then taken to a heating plant in Karlskoga which incinerates them to heat homes.

Bunny boilers

Leo Virta, the Managing Director of Konvex - the plant's suppliers - told the BBC that Konvex has developed a new way of processing animal waste with funding from the EU as part of the Biomal project.

He says that with this new method, raw animal material is crushed, ground and then pumped to a boiler where it is burned together with wood chips, peat or waste to produce renewable heat.

"It is a good system as it solves the problem of dealing with animal waste and it provides heat," said Mr Virta.

Reaction in Sweden has been divided, said James Savage, managing editor of The Local - an online news service covering Sweden.

"In the town where they are burning them the reaction of the residents is quite relaxed," Mr Savage told the BBC World Service. "But in Stockholm there's the big city attitude of the rabbits being cute.

"That's amongst some people, particularly among some animal rights activists who think this is not a good way to treat rabbits."
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Comrade K

Re: Swedes kill bunnies then burn them for warmth

Postby Comrade K » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:53 am

Um.

That's uh...

Different.

I mean, that's so out there I don't even know how to react. Rabbits being hunted to be ground into flammable paste to be burned to create electricity... it sounds more like a bad trip than an engineer's plan.

I guess I don't really disagree with this, if the rabbits are really that bad. As someone who hunts rabbits though, I consider the notion of successfully "culling" them or any other small adaptable animals dubious at best. I mean, they're rabbits. Ah well, they're making use of them at least, and not just leaving them to rot.

Alternative method of population control: Acquire some foxes.;)

Google [Bot ]

Postby Google [Bot ] » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:01 am

but hunting them gives you something to do, as opposed to buying foxes. not all swedes are furries
I'm not a spambot :S
BUTT DOGS

likeafox
Administrator

Postby likeafox » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:15 am

Well maybe they SHOULD BE.

Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:12 pm

I suppose if they have to kill them they might as well use the bodies for something.

klimt

Postby klimt » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:45 am

fur coats and a rabbit stew for all!

osprey

Postby osprey » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:39 am

OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

D-puff

Postby D-puff » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:23 pm

Reading the title, I was all "D=", thinking this was going to be about some twisted bunny bonfire or something, but reading the article sheds at least some light on the situation. It does seem a little strange, if not impractical, but it looks like a rather impressive way to kill two birds with one stone.
ImageImage

osprey

Postby osprey » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:29 pm

Reading the title, I was all "D=", thinking this was going to be about some twisted bunny bonfire or something, but reading the article sheds at least some light on the situation. It does seem a little strange, if not impractical, but it looks like a rather impressive way to kill two birds with one stone.
More like kill two bunnies with one incinerator.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Caoimhin
Location:In the magical land of Jersey... Watch your step and don't trip on the cows.

Postby Caoimhin » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:27 pm

While the whole concept of "bunny paste" is funny and leaves a rather graphic image at the same time in all seriousness introducing one species to control another has been notoriously ineffective... I mean just look at Australia, cane toads anyone?

Comrade K

Postby Comrade K » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:10 am

While the whole concept of "bunny paste" is funny and leaves a rather graphic image at the same time in all seriousness introducing one species to control another has been notoriously ineffective... I mean just look at Australia, cane toads anyone?

Caoimhin
Location:In the magical land of Jersey... Watch your step and don't trip on the cows.

Postby Caoimhin » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:33 pm

Nice montage.

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:40 pm

is that what they're calling it these days?
http://www.spingain.com/?ref=146518
Well put doog. You never posted anything offensive whatsoever
we know she'll be back, like a good bitch should.

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:38 pm

Crazy kids, soon they'll be making memes and propagating them through the internet.

Baconsticks

Postby Baconsticks » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:02 am

The image of a truck dumping huge loads of dead bunnies into an even larger fire is...... awesome.

Also of note is the image of people hired to shovel bunnies into fires.

Return to “World Events”