CONSTANT VIGILANCE! George W Bush style

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

Muninn
Moderator (retired)
Re: CONSTANT VIGILANCE! George W Bush style

Postby Muninn » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:17 pm

I first read one of the books before all the hype had started, even after that I didn't care whether they were popular or not because like Liz I enjoyed them.

osprey

Postby osprey » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:12 pm

The first book came out when I was in my bookworm years when I was younger, and I read most of the new books that came to the youth section at the library, so I read it when it was still in the early stages of its popularity. And I liked it. I've read and own every one of the books, and I enjoy them all. Essentially I agree with Liz.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:47 pm

I also own all of the books, and although the writing is consistently quite bad, they are very entertaining and do a pretty good job as books.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Caoimhin
Location:In the magical land of Jersey... Watch your step and don't trip on the cows.

Postby Caoimhin » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:48 pm

Well having read all the books for the rather engaging story (I agree with Rooster completely) I can say she's better than Dan Brown. I'll admit I've only read thirty pages of The DaVinci Code (and five chapters of Angels and Demons before I even heard of it) but still what a clumsy writing style and a main character that is a water-downed Indiana Jones knockoff. Read some Umberto Eco if you want esoteric conspiracies :roll: . I just rather not spent a month reading a book that is just bad, I have to disagree with Liz, you don't have to read an entire series in some cases to have a final opinion.

If you're like me and havn't yet finished reading the classics (something I have yet to do because of fantasy and currently Douglas Adams sucking my attention away) or read the Bible (most of Western literature has allusions to it and lets face it having at least an academic understanding of the Bible is crucial, hell even the Koran, and Buddhist writings can make interesting studies to add to your understanding), I just want to read something worthwhile. Nostalgia plays apart to, I grew up with the Harry Potter series, I was ten when it first came out. The problem is she unsuccessfully wrote them in a way that would follow her first readers into their late-teens. She just couldn't make it anyless childish.

A good example would be the gradual growing up of The Hobbit into the LotR. Tolkien succesfully aged it to fit the readers who enjoyed the Hobbit who had since then became older. Later editions even fixed continuity errors between the two. If someone needed a new copy to reread the Hobbit everything they expected (including allusions made in the LotR such as Riddles in the Dark which was only added to the Hobbit after the LotR had been published) would be there and revisions inproved the writing.

Am I asking Rowling to rewrite the series? No, but it would be nice to perhaps revise and rewrite some of it in later editions in order to spruce up the text, she DID show improvement abeit slowly, and focused more on length (although the print was rather large) that texture and quality. And the ending was a limp Deus ex machina.

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:22 pm

No, but it would be nice to perhaps revise and rewrite some of it in later editions in order to spruce up the text
Can I just convice her to rewrite it so she doesn't kill off Fred. That was pointless I thought.

Æron

Postby Æron » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:45 pm

No, but it would be nice to perhaps revise and rewrite some of it in later editions in order to spruce up the text
Can I just convice her to rewrite it so she doesn't kill off Fred. That was pointless I thought.
I would rather her not get Lucasitis.
Scurry, scurry, Scurryous! You might just be the murriest. You certainly are the furriest! Hurry! Scurry! Scurryous!

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:39 am

Actually she has already started work on a rewrite of Book 7. Fred no longer dies! Also, it will be the only book in history to have the words "THE SPECIAL EDITION" super-imposed diagonally on every page in 72 point Comic Sans MS. Also there will be an orange ring added around the explosion of Hogwarts, to correct a scientific error in the original version of the book. Also, Hogwarts explodes.

Caoimhin
Location:In the magical land of Jersey... Watch your step and don't trip on the cows.

Postby Caoimhin » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:38 pm

But people still ate it up... If she was a better writer I think that it added the needed sense of real danger, I found that to be particularly realistic (by the definitions of a world filled with magic). And Doc... Well played.

Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:44 pm

From my understanding the Star Wars novels killed off Chewbacca to prove main characters aren't safe from death. That sucks. Couldn't they have killed C-3PO or Luke, or somebody who isn't as cool as Chewbacca? The only consolation I have is that I'm told they had kill him by blowing up a planet and a moon. Anything less wouldn't have finished the job.

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:16 pm

Couldn't they have killed C-3PO or Luke
I've read somewhere that Lucas has forbidden the Star Wars books to show Luke, Han or Leia dying. They can have stories in the future where those three aren't alive, but they can't show the actual deaths. I haven't read any of those books though and the person who said it might just be making stuff up.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:58 pm

I've read somewhere that Lucas has forbidden the Star Wars books to show Luke, Han or Leia dying. They can have stories in the future where those three aren't alive, but they can't show the actual deaths. I haven't read any of those books though and the person who said it might just be making stuff up.
Can you really trust anybody who reads Star Wars novels? It's like buying fan-fiction.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Caoimhin

Postby Caoimhin » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:20 am

Can you really trust anybody who reads Star Wars novels? It's like buying fan-fiction.
I personally love the idea of detailing a world in such a way... But its still utter crap :P . Pulp writers used to do it all the time, they would write essentially fanfiction of each other's stories, makes me want to pick up some of the old Conan stories and read them (dude, anything with Elric is AWESOME!)**clears his throat and straightens his tie a little. He counts to ten as he collects his flustered, fanboyish self**. Actually I've been told The Grey Mouser series crossed with Conan on occasion but I've only been able to find the last collection of stories :sad: .

In other news: Place seems empty without Segovia....

Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:26 pm

As good of an idea it might be to go that detailed into the world, with the amount of differant authors writing Star Wars novels I am sure there are tons of continuity errors and things that wouldn't make much sense from one book to the next.

Return to “World Events”