CONSTANT VIGILANCE! George W Bush style

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

Muninn
Moderator (retired)
CONSTANT VIGILANCE! George W Bush style

Postby Muninn » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:25 pm

'Harry Potter author JK Rowling missed out on a top honour because some US politicians believed she "encouraged witchcraft", it has been claimed.'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8282356.stm

osprey

Re: CONSTANT VIGILANCE! George W Bush style

Postby osprey » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:57 pm

Uh, guys....sorcery isn't real.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Foxchild

Postby Foxchild » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:00 pm

there are people who would disagree with you.

and if they run around screaming faux latin at you, well... hand them an aluminum foil hat.
If you've done things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all.

MuffinSticks

Postby MuffinSticks » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:51 pm

Serves her right for corrupting our belovedly sheltered little angels.
КТО ТРОГАЛ МОЯ ПУШКА

<Muninn> Too furry for saneville, too girly for boystown
see, how far raine dog got placed in the background? take that you blue bitch

Arloest
Moderator (retired)

Postby Arloest » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:09 am

I know people who unironically believe that the Devil helped JK Rowling write the Harry Potter series.
Who sleeps shall awake, greeting the shadows from the sun
Who sleeps shall awake, looking through the window of our lives
Waiting for the moment to arrive...
Show us the silence in the rise,
So that we may someday understand...

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:20 am

The Devil may not have written the books, but he certainly had a hand in casting Warwick Davis in the role of Professor Flitwick.

LewisTheTank

Postby LewisTheTank » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:33 am

THIS statement is true.
However, WITCHCRAFT is most definitely real...

:dragon:
"Do you really think you have what it takes? Do you?"

osprey

Postby osprey » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:47 am

THIS statement is true.
However, WITCHCRAFT is most definitely real...

:dragon:
No. People may practice "witchcraft" but they're just nutbars and really don't have any powers. And they're harmless unless they go crazy and kill people, but they'd do that with normal means.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:50 pm

I'm glad she didn't get this award, but not for the arse-buggeringly retarded reasons of the Republicains. The idea of elevating this kid's book author, however popular her books are, to the level of the likes of pioneering authors like Steinbeck scares me.
Steinbeck wrote brilliantly moving peices that helped highlight an entire generation of southern states Americans to the world, and helped raise awareness and understanding of the human side of the Dust Bowl and of the Great Depression.

Rowling wrote a book about wizards at school...and did it badly, as in my opinion they are really childishly written books which is a shame as the stories themselves are quite engaging.

Popularity is not always synonymous with excellence, I mean hell, Katy Price's book was a best seller too...and she's just famous for having enourmous tits.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:33 pm

I mean hell, Katy Price's book was a best seller too...and she's just famous for having enourmous tits.
It has emerged that Katy Price was denied the Presidential Medal of Phwoar when it was alleged that the devil must have had a hand in that.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Angstwolf

Postby Angstwolf » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:51 pm

I'm glad she didn't get this award, but not for the arse-buggeringly retarded reasons of the Republicains. The idea of elevating this kid's book author, however popular her books are, to the level of the likes of pioneering authors like Steinbeck scares me.
Steinbeck wrote brilliantly moving peices that helped highlight an entire generation of southern states Americans to the world, and helped raise awareness and understanding of the human side of the Dust Bowl and of the Great Depression.

Rowling wrote a book about wizards at school...and did it badly, as in my opinion they are really childishly written books which is a shame as the stories themselves are quite engaging.

Popularity is not always synonymous with excellence, I mean hell, Katy Price's book was a best seller too...and she's just famous for having enourmous tits.
Cool, I don't even have to say anything because you said it all for me.

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:48 pm

I mean hell, Katy Price's book was a best seller too...and she's just famous for having enourmous tits.
It has emerged that Katy Price was denied the Presidential Medal of Phwoar when it was alleged that the devil must have had a hand in that.
I laughed.

I hope it was apparent my intention was to point out the stupid reason behind their refusal to give her the award, not whether she actually deserves it.

Liz
Staff

Postby Liz » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:51 pm

Uhm. For six years, I never read the books because I thought they were stupid simply because they were popular. After the sixth book was released, I decided, "what the hell, why not read the books, eh?" and you know what? I genuinely like the books for the writing, story, and characters. I don't like it for it's popularity.
Just because something is popular, doesn't mean it's good, but just because something is popular, doesn't mean you should automatically assume it's bad. Unless you've actually taken the time to read all the books, I don't think anyone has any right to think it's poor quality. If you have read the books and still think it's poor quality, then okay. O:
If anything, I don't think she should've gotten the award simply because I don't think it reflects her achievements.

Arloest
Moderator (retired)

Postby Arloest » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:45 pm

Uhm. For six years, I never read the books because I thought they were stupid simply because they were popular. After the sixth book was released, I decided, "what the hell, why not read the books, eh?" and you know what? I genuinely like the books for the writing, story, and characters. I don't like it for it's popularity.
Just because something is popular, doesn't mean it's good, but just because something is popular, doesn't mean you should automatically assume it's bad. Unless you've actually taken the time to read all the books, I don't think anyone has any right to think it's poor quality. If you have read the books and still think it's poor quality, then okay. O:
If anything, I don't think she should've gotten the award simply because I don't think it reflects her achievements.

Who sleeps shall awake, greeting the shadows from the sun
Who sleeps shall awake, looking through the window of our lives
Waiting for the moment to arrive...
Show us the silence in the rise,
So that we may someday understand...

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:45 pm

Return to “World Events”