Rainedog nominated for Bad Comic Wiki

Borscht
Re: Rainedog nominated for Bad Comic Wiki

Postby Borscht » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:14 am

To paraphrase the bad wiki article,

"Raine Dog is a cartoon about a character that isn't human, but it tries to be serious. WTF FURFAGS! And when things happen in the secondary world in which the story takes place, I feel like they're taking place in the real world. WTF FURFAG SOCIAL COMMENTARY! And the assumptions I make when I assume the secondary world is exactly the same as the real world [except dogs are blue and one of them can talk for some reason but still doesn't count as a person to me] keep getting violated! OH THE FURMANNITY!

...also, good storytelling really shouldn't jump from place to place all the time, it confuses the reader and prevents our investment in any particular arc of the plot."

Raine Dog is of course poorly written, but it is a work of fiction in the genre of Fantasy, and with that genre comes the right to create a world not our own, in which the work takes place. Because it is Urban Fantasy, it does not create its world from scratch. Rather, it starts with our world and modifies it.

In Raine Dog, non-human animals are sapient, and learn to speak their master's language in much the same way as human babies do. NOT. pantsless. ROCKETSCIENCE. If you think, "BUTT DOGS DOESN'T TALK" every time the dog in the comic talks, you should not read Fantasy.

IceDragon

Postby IceDragon » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:38 am

"Raine Dog is a cartoon about a character that isn't human, but it tries to be serious. WTF FURFAGS! And when things happen in the secondary world in which the story takes place, I feel like they're taking place in the real world. WTF FURFAG SOCIAL COMMENTARY! And the assumptions I make when I assume the secondary world is exactly the same as the real world [except dogs are blue and one of them can talk for some reason but still doesn't count as a person to me] keep getting violated! OH THE FURMANNITY!

...also, good storytelling really shouldn't jump from place to place all the time, it confuses the reader and prevents our investment in any particular arc of the plot."

Raine Dog is of course poorly written, but it is a work of fiction in the genre of Fantasy, and with that genre comes the right to create a world not our own, in which the work takes place. Because it is Urban Fantasy, it does not create its world from scratch. Rather, it starts with our world and modifies it.

In Raine Dog, non-human animals are sapient, and learn to speak their master's language in much the same way as human babies do. NOT. pantsless. ROCKETSCIENCE. If you think, "BUTT DOGS DOESN'T TALK" every time the dog in the comic talks, you should not read Fantasy.
It;s not that the dogs talk, it's that DCS did not create a fantasy world. She took this world, and made the animals talk, and never delved further into the world than that. Alpha should the the baddest mermaid puncher in the pack, but instead is the reserved one? BIOLOGY DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY! I have only so much suspension of disbelief, and I can't waste it trying to fill the holes of this work. Look at her work and say she spent time on it. She sloppily created this character that while she denies it, is an author insert with a bad case of Mary Sue-ism. The world will be looking much worse as the comic continues.

Foxchild

Postby Foxchild » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:11 pm

It;s not that the dogs talk, it's that DCS did not create a fantasy world. She took this world, and made the animals talk, and never delved further into the world than that. Alpha should the the baddest mermaid puncher in the pack, but instead is the reserved one? BIOLOGY DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY! I have only so much suspension of disbelief, and I can't waste it trying to fill the holes of this work. Look at her work and say she spent time on it. She sloppily created this character that while she denies it, is an author insert with a bad case of Mary Sue-ism. The world will be looking much worse as the comic continues.
This.

And the article isn't so much "WTF FURFAGS!!!" as it is "WTF STUPID". The article isn't wrong; there are a lot of poorly written, poorly drawn furry social commentary webcomics people try to create that just... well, are awful.
If you've done things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all.

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:20 pm

"Raine Dog is a cartoon about a character that isn't human, but it tries to be serious.
The Animals of Farthing Wood comes to mind. Point is, animal characters don't necessarily equate to children's fantasy. Though that is more common.

Quexinos

Postby Quexinos » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:37 am

*smacks you*
Don't you dare try to bring logic into this! This is Raine Dog bitches!
Quexinos - Worse than Hitler

Comrade K

Postby Comrade K » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:58 am

The Animals of Farthing Wood comes to mind. Point is, animal characters don't necessarily equate to children's fantasy. Though that is more common.
Plague Dogs anyone?

With a side of Felidae perhaps?
To paraphrase the bad wiki article,"Raine Dog is a cartoon about a character that isn't human, but it tries to be serious.
I like serious stuff with animals (if you hadn't guessed). There are a lot of stories that pull it off really, or at least reasonably well, such as Farthing Wood. Raine Dog is utter crap in comparison.

Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:18 am

The Plague Dogs is one of my favorite books.

Liz
Staff

Postby Liz » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:39 pm

It's a book too? I saw the movie and it was AMAZING. However, the ending was pretty anti-climatic to me. Heh.

Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:34 pm

I don't want to give anything away but the book had a completly differant ending which is far more satisfying.

Comrade K

Postby Comrade K » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:58 pm

I don't want to give anything away but the book had a completly differant ending which is far more satisfying.
Pffffft.

Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:31 pm

Do you disagree?

Comrade K

Postby Comrade K » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:08 am

Do you disagree?
Yes. The movie set a tone and kept it that way.

Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:34 am

The ending of the book is completly unexepted. It is a far bigger twist then the movie offers and is far happier even if there is a deus ex machina involved. What does the movie offer? Zero character development from the news anchor and a predictable ending. The book is superior.

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:29 pm

"Raine Dog is a cartoon about a character that isn't human, but it tries to be serious.

As an artist who draws a strip involving a pyromanical vixen and a drug addicted border collie, I find this quite funny. I hope kids try to read my strip and it gives them bad ideas.

Caoimhin
Location:In the magical land of Jersey... Watch your step and don't trip on the cows.

Postby Caoimhin » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:28 am

*smacks you*
Don't you dare try to bring logic into this! This is Raine Dog bitches!
Anyone game for a drawing of Raine Dog kicking an elephant into a hole as a parody of 300? Because I can't even draw badly and don't have a scanner... Sorry that just came to mind... Dman have I not logged on in this long O_O?

P.S. Funny article, I read a few of the others as well.

Return to “Raine Dog”