IBM takes first 3D image of atomic bonds

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

sad jazz cantaloupe
Re: IBM takes first 3D image of atomic bonds

Postby sad jazz cantaloupe » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:09 pm

upon hearing the sound, told him he's a talentless hack and that a biplane doesn't sound like that (despite the sound being sampled from footage of a biplane)
So? It's my understanding that a lot of foley (if not a majority of it) is like that.
Apologies to everyone. Except Fritz.
First of all, Fritz, do yourself a favor and research your own answers before you post.

cougartiger

Postby cougartiger » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:48 pm

upon hearing the sound, told him he's a talentless hack and that a biplane doesn't sound like that (despite the sound being sampled from footage of a biplane)
So? It's my understanding that a lot of foley (if not a majority of it) is like that.
Also, Bay may have had a particular sound in mind. Not all biplanes sound alike. Plus, it's not uncommon for the sound you hear to be combo of various things.

Bay is much smarter than people give him credit for. It's just that like most directors he's an asshole. Personally I like Bay's work and his films. Still, I'd like to see him branch out and try something different, like a horror film or something.
My Deviant Art page, home of my epic biography of Captain Lucius Locke, The Pirate's Tale.
Now including artwork!

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

cougartiger

Postby cougartiger » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:08 am

Milestones in scientific achievement are the ONLY thing that make me like America.
What about our ability to spend billions on huge epic movies that consist of nothing but explosions? Hell, makes ME proud to be American!
I don't believe any single movie has managed to spend over a billion USD in production costs.

I believe Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End is one of the highest, at ~$300 million. A lot, but not billions.

Also, if you ever go to SEE one of these movies, you're being an immense hypocrite, no better than people who complain about how mistreated animals raised for food are then go have a burger.
Uh, what? I was speaking in generalities and was joking to boot. I wasn't complaining about film budgets. I LOVE big huge budgeted action flicks as much as I also love smaller films.
My Deviant Art page, home of my epic biography of Captain Lucius Locke, The Pirate's Tale.
Now including artwork!

cougartiger

Postby cougartiger » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:12 am

I make a point of not going to any movie directed by michael bay or any other movie that all my friends are seeing. Except the dark knight. I was dragged along to that one.
Dark Knight is overrated. I've seen it twice and while I liked it better the second time, I still don't understand why it was such a raging hit. It's too long and tries to do too much. It would've been better split into two movies.

Oh, and Heath Ledger was good as the Joker but nothing award worthy though, IMHO.
Now including artwork!

sad jazz cantaloupe

Postby sad jazz cantaloupe » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:24 am

it's a good thing too, because he wouldn't have been able to accept any of them!!!! :lol:
First of all, Fritz, do yourself a favor and research your own answers before you post.

Gecko

Postby Gecko » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:50 am

You don't need to triple-post, it needlessly clutters topics. We have a nice, shiny new interface; the edit button works wonderfully. :<

I was responding seriously to your post because it gave off a vibe of "I'm an American who hates America, but I don't do anything about it!" that's much too common on the internet. I was wrong, my apologies.

As for TDK, I would rank it as the highest-quality superhero movie I've ever heard of. It certainly wasn't as amazing as all the hype (nothing could live up to that much hype). As for Heath Ledger, yes, he deserved an Oscar.

But seeing as Requiem for a Dream never received any of those 'serious' awards, I no longer give a single thought to them. If a movie of that quality can't receive recognition, then, to me, the awards are a meaningless sham.
Anami and Anami are sitting around Anami says "GRR I AM ANGSTY LET'S EXPRESS ANGST" and so Anami says "ONE OF THE MODS ON DC IS A DICK I POSTED A PICTURE THAT WASN'T REALLY THAT INAPPROPRIATE AND THREE MODS SAW IT AND DID NOTHING THEN A FOURTH ONE SAW IT AND DELETED IT" and Anami says "OMG I HATE MODS >:("

Baconsticks

Postby Baconsticks » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:13 am

As I do quite a lot of foley on a daily basis, I might add that 50% of all the sound effects I make come from a single house fan.

Those things are FUCKIN VERSATILE

I might also add that just about all of the movies that have come out of Hollywood in the past 4-5 years is shit. And Michael Bay needs to die.

osprey

Postby osprey » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:19 am

As for TDK, I would rank it as the highest-quality brand of recordable media I've ever used to record Michael Bay films.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Gecko

Postby Gecko » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:26 am

As for TDK, I would rank it as the highest-quality brand of recordable media I've ever used to record Michael Bay films.
I actually did laugh out loud.
Anami and Anami are sitting around Anami says "GRR I AM ANGSTY LET'S EXPRESS ANGST" and so Anami says "ONE OF THE MODS ON DC IS A DICK I POSTED A PICTURE THAT WASN'T REALLY THAT INAPPROPRIATE AND THREE MODS SAW IT AND DID NOTHING THEN A FOURTH ONE SAW IT AND DELETED IT" and Anami says "OMG I HATE MODS >:("

cougartiger

Postby cougartiger » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:55 am

You don't need to triple-post, it needlessly clutters topics. We have a nice, shiny new interface; the edit button works wonderfully. :<
OK. I'll try not to let it happen again.

I was responding seriously to your post because it gave off a vibe of "I'm an American who hates America, but I don't do anything about it!" that's much too common on the internet. I was wrong, my apologies.
No problem.
As for TDK, I would rank it as the highest-quality superhero movie I've ever heard of. It certainly wasn't as amazing as all the hype (nothing could live up to that much hype). As for Heath Ledger, yes, he deserved an Oscar.
To each his own. I feel that no superhero movie will surpass the 1978 Superman but that's just me. BTW, I own TDK on Blu-Ray so it's not like I hate it. Personally, I think the ultimate Batman movie is yet to be made.
But seeing as Requiem for a Dream never received any of those 'serious' awards, I no longer give a single thought to them. If a movie of that quality can't receive recognition, then, to me, the awards are a meaningless sham.
Not my kind of film but I see what you're saying.

Any chance we can get a movie area on this forum?
Now including artwork!

cougartiger

Postby cougartiger » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:55 am

I actually did laugh out loud.
This.
Now including artwork!

sad jazz cantaloupe

Postby sad jazz cantaloupe » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:58 am

EDIT. BUTTON. D:

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:30 pm

[a second post]

cougartiger

Postby cougartiger » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:52 pm

EDIT. BUTTON. D:
[a second post]
D'OH! *Buries head in hands* :oops:
Now including artwork!

Gecko

Postby Gecko » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:36 pm

I lol'd.

Return to “World Events”