Iran Simmers

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

Æron
Iran Simmers

Postby Æron » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:49 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/1 ... 15189.html

I'm disappointed that Ahmadinejad won*, even though the opposition candidate wasn't much better. What is interesting is the roil of protests that have broken out across Iran--and the use of Twitter and other internet resources for people in Iran to disseminate information amongst one another, and to the world, circumventing the government-ordered media blackout.

*Was the election rigged? It's hard to tell. I don't doubt the possibility, but has any solid evidence been found?

Baconsticks

Postby Baconsticks » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:39 am

Iran should have another revolution.

I hope they throw out that twat.

Comrade K

Postby Comrade K » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:43 am

Regardless of the lack of any major difference between the two, I'd also rather see Mousavi in power. Even if he was basically exactly the same, I think that the shift from one leader to another would be beneficial.

Arloest
Moderator (retired)

Postby Arloest » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:47 am

There have been some reporters saying that this will be a repeat of Tiananmen square. I personally don't know how much truth there is to that, but I guess time will tell.
Who sleeps shall awake, greeting the shadows from the sun
Who sleeps shall awake, looking through the window of our lives
Waiting for the moment to arrive...
Show us the silence in the rise,
So that we may someday understand...

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:00 pm

The blocking of foreign news sites like the BBC and the Guardian, along with the huge margin by which Ahmadinejad won (even in Mousavi's home province) and the support of the supreme leaders of Iran for Ahmadinejad suggests to me that election fraud happened, perhaps on a very large scale. Whether Mousavi won in actuality I can't say - I certainly would have preferred it if he did, given his more peaceful stance towards the West and his supposed platform of greater personal liberty - but I think it likely that the result was dishonest, and I also suspect that the inquiry into the election will turn up very little, officially.

As for the protests, the protesters were certainly overly violent, but so were the guards who oversaw it. I believe large protests in favour of Mousavi were declared illegal, which does not reflect well on democratic values in Iran. I find it very interesting that the internet enables these to be somewhat restored - without outright blocking the internet there's not a lot a government can do to stop it.

EDIT: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/ju ... s-day-five
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:40 pm

The people of Iran are allowed to protest!?

GASP AND HORROR!

But the newspapers said that Iran was a dictatorship run by a nutty Islamist! You mean they're NOT and persian people are allowed to protest!?

It's like the western media has been lying!

Seriously though, why is this that important to people? I mean, Iran IS NOT EVIL...it's probably the best description of a middle Eastern state to have on side. I'd trust them over Israel any bloody day.

Comrade K

Postby Comrade K » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:49 pm

it's probably the best description of a middle Eastern state to have on side. I'd trust them over Israel any bloody day.
Yeah but the Israelis don't like the same people our governments don't like. And they have bombs.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:12 pm

They are... sort of. Also, the Iranian government has been arresting and detaining its critics, so you might want to hold your Iran-is-not-evil for a little while.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Arloest
Moderator (retired)

Postby Arloest » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:07 pm

GASP AND HORROR!

But the newspapers said that Iran was a dictatorship run by a nutty Islamist! You mean they're NOT and persian people are allowed to protest!?

It's like the western media has been lying!
I don't think anyone here is trying to assert the contrary. What is being asserted, however, is that while he Iranian people as a whole are generally good people, it's the government itself which has something fishy up their sleeves. It's largely speculative at this point, but there are pretty good clues.
Who sleeps shall awake, greeting the shadows from the sun
Who sleeps shall awake, looking through the window of our lives
Waiting for the moment to arrive...
Show us the silence in the rise,
So that we may someday understand...

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:25 pm

Seriously though, why is this that important to people?
Much more important if you're living there or in the region.

But also because Iran hasn't seen this level of social unrest since the revolution both in terms of numbers and how frequently they're able to get their voice heard internationally. Protests might be more common in the West but over there this is special.

Furthermore, don't forget that now the Western media can get to show Ahmedinejad weakening and Iran's current system be subject to internal criticsm.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:56 pm

funkytank

Postby funkytank » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:08 am

http://iran.whyweprotest.net/

Learn every thing you need to do to help the Iranians from the above forum (brought to you by the guys who do the Pirate Bay)
I have dedicated 90% of my bandwidth to TOR for Iran, and I can see 30 Irianians using it, so it does make a difference!

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:10 am

hell yeah I'm doing that too
http://www.spingain.com/?ref=146518
Well put doog. You never posted anything offensive whatsoever
we know she'll be back, like a good bitch should.

Æron

Postby Æron » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:35 am

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/06/ ... pstoryview

The situation is escalating... At least 19 people have been confirmed killed. Iran may be on a verge of a full-blown revolution, though civil war may be a more appropriate term.

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:48 am

Isn't the difference between a civil war and a revolution, which side wins?
http://www.spingain.com/?ref=146518
Well put doog. You never posted anything offensive whatsoever
we know she'll be back, like a good bitch should.

Return to “World Events”