UK Allows Neo-Nazis Into Power

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

Rooster
UK Allows Neo-Nazis Into Power

Postby Rooster » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:53 am

I know it's techically "old" news, given that it happened about a week ago, but it's still important.

Yep, we've voted for a racist bigot for the EU Parliment. Good on us.

Basically, he got in because no-body bothered to vote to keep him out, and his core supporters suffered no-such voting apathy.

So yeah.

But, on the plus side, it's not a popular choice and anti-fascist protestors recently pelted him with eggs at a press meeting. The first page is a link to the attack, and the second is a protester giving her reasons why the attack took place.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8091605.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8091727.stm

Basically, I sort of agree with the protest against him but disagree with the egg throwing given that it just makes anti-fascists look as bad as the brownshirts he drags around with him.

Any one else got any thoughts?

Jakkal

Postby Jakkal » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:01 am

oh well, I'm not this worried about it. not only in GB, votings ended with some seats for right or left winged in the EU. We have to be glad, that only he is in (from BNP [British National Party?]) so most of them still are conservatives... here, most people voted for CDU (Christlich Demokratische Union) and FDP (some kind of liberals), as far as I know, noone of the NPD (Nationale Partei Deutschland) or Republikaner (right winged as well) got any seats. Griffin will probably muck around abit... but he has no power in the Parliament...

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:18 pm

I figure, hey having one guy from the Antipiratbyran elected to EU ought to make up for having just one guy from the BNP
http://www.spingain.com/?ref=146518
Well put doog. You never posted anything offensive whatsoever
we know she'll be back, like a good bitch should.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:36 pm

Except there are two. I am honestly disgusted by the result. Yes, people are disillusioned with the major parties given the expenses scandal, and Labour given the recession, but that gives no excuse to vote for a party whose policies consist almost entirely of fascism and racism. There are plenty of parties with much more sensible manifestos. People are making scapegoats of immigrants, and it's that sort of thing that (Godwin forgive me) enabled the Nazis to attain power in Germany.

I'm not overly worried, though; I think fundamentally the British public resent fascism, and whilst the BNP have very much pushed the Britishness aspect of their campaign it is a deeply-rooted British ideal that we cannot allow fascist government in this country.

An interesting article from the Guardian where leading historians give their views on the possibility of a rise of fascism.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:07 pm

I prefer brown coats to brown shirts

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:36 pm

While the result is not welcome this is really thanks to having democracy, and an advanced one that tolerates and allows parties with such views, in place. It might not be a good outcome or indication but that's just how it goes sometimes. I don't think however the British will ever have a major swing in favour of parties like BNP or UKIP.

Comrade K

Postby Comrade K » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:53 pm

While the result is not welcome this is really thanks to having democracy, and an advanced one that tolerates and allows parties with such views, in place. It might not be a good outcome or indication but that's just how it goes sometimes. I don't think however the British will ever have a major swing in favour of parties like BNP or UKIP.
I think the election of these types of people/parties is a good thing. Now people who were apathetic about voting before will become more politically involved to prevent fringe parties from gaining power like this again.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:19 pm

It won't happen in a UK general election: the system we use is first-past-the-post, and so the smaller parties have practically zero seats in Parliament.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:24 pm

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:41 pm

It took me a long time to work out what that was.

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:51 pm

Phew, I'm glad that people seem to agree with me on this.

Also, just so we're clear the BNP didn't get "more" votes than usual, far from it...they actually received less votes than they have done before for that area.

One thing that really disturbed me more than "Mr Griffen Goes To Brussels" is that UKIP are now the third largest party of ours at the EU...ahead of Labour! That scares me more than two Nazis, given that UKIP are armchair racists...y'know the types, the ones who when seeing a person of another ethnicity, secretly feels superior to them. Oh, they're harmless now...but give them power, and...well the name Rhodesia tends to spring to mind.

And like Comrade said, it's a real kick in the face to all those idiots who said "I'm going to protest against the government by NOT VOTING!"

Incidentally, I DID vote. I voted Lib Dem.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:33 pm

Incidentally, I DID vote. I voted Lib Dem.
Good on you. Also, UKIP came second, not third; the order by number of votes was Conservative, UKIP, Labour, Lib Dem, Green, BNP, SNP, Plaid Cymru.

Baconsticks

Postby Baconsticks » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:47 am

Britain sucks now. Good job guys.

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:32 pm

Now?

Dude, hate to be pedantic but Britain's sucked for a long time.

Also, we didn't vote a retard into office. That's something I suppose.

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:13 pm

Now?

Dude, hate to be pedantic but Britain's sucked for a long time.

Also, we didn't vote a retard into office. That's something I suppose.
Yeah but he was a teetotaler retard that the people could drink a beer with, gorramit! If you don't vote based on who's the best looking or that you'd like to indulge in various substances with then maybe I missed the point of democracy.
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

Return to “World Events”