General (Serious) Music Discussion

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

Arloest
Moderator (retired)
General (Serious) Music Discussion

Postby Arloest » Sun May 10, 2009 8:55 pm

As far as I can tell, there are a good number of music connoisseurs here. In spite of this, there's a lack of serious musical discussion. Though this thread may turn into a complete failure (which is likely), I wanted to start a topic filled with respectful musical discussion. That means no "lol that band sucks!" or "pants you SOAD is the best band ever!" Musical discussion as mature adults would discuss it. Consider it a challenge!

I'll start things off with a progressive rock band I've just discovered, Dredg. I've heard their name tossed around a lot over the past few years, but only recent did I actually look into them. And I really liked what I found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63APMZC8o7w

I don't know if anyone else here would like them to be honest, but I'm really digging them. El Cielo is love.
Who sleeps shall awake, greeting the shadows from the sun
Who sleeps shall awake, looking through the window of our lives
Waiting for the moment to arrive...
Show us the silence in the rise,
So that we may someday understand...

Ibun

Postby Ibun » Sun May 10, 2009 9:23 pm

I really liked Catch Without Arms though so far that is the only Album I have heard from them. Was kind of too lazy to look more into it.

DT sucks lolol.

EDIT: Judging by the sound of that song, the album I heard was definitely a bit poppier. Kind of along the lines of a song like PT's Trains.
Killin' the first born of lyrical Yul Brynners.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Sun May 10, 2009 9:33 pm

Although I couldn't watch that particular video (country restrictions) I did listen to their song "Bug Eyes", and I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I'm not usually a fan of progressive rock, but I think what made it sound good to me was the vocals. Powerful but at the same time tempered.

My current musical affections are for the Avett Brothers (their song Die Die Die, I'm fond of the banjos) and Lisa Hannigan (her song I Don't Know, a simple pretty song with a cello).
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Ibun

Postby Ibun » Sun May 10, 2009 9:49 pm

DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE o/`

Best lyrics ever. Only made better because it is folksy.

And Lisa Hennigan reminds me of Mirah.

D-puff

Postby D-puff » Sun May 10, 2009 11:17 pm

Dredg I liked quite a bit, I'll have to look into more of their stuff (and by that, I mean download the discography).

One rather unknown band I've had on my mp3 player that I haven't listened to all too much recently until the other day is Bullets and Octane. I know the song Pirates has been thrown around a bit (and was the first I heard), but my current favorites by them would be Queen Mirage and Save Me Sorrow.
ImageImage

osprey

Postby osprey » Sun May 10, 2009 11:20 pm

Dredg is relevant to my interests. Of The Room was highly enjoyable...I hadn't heard of them until now, but it definitely looks like they will soon become a playlist staple for me.

Lately, stuff I've been into include the Tea Party (namely The Messenger and The Halcyon Days), Slipknot's newest album (Psychosocial and Snuff are wicked songs) and I've been binging the ambient works of Deepspace (he has free downloadable stuff on there, I'd give it a try if you're into that kind of stuff).
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Sun May 10, 2009 11:40 pm

I like the Avett Brothers, but I more prefer their stuff before Mignonette. They started out in my state though, so I guess I had an earlier introduction to them, and I also have no idea exactly how popular they are on a national or international level.
If you haven't heard their earlier demos and albums, I could help you get a hold of some. Like most bands, it's more energy and less production.

More energy and less production pretty much sums up how I decide if I like a band or not.
http://www.spingain.com/?ref=146518
Well put doog. You never posted anything offensive whatsoever
we know she'll be back, like a good bitch should.

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Mon May 11, 2009 4:20 pm

More energy and less production pretty much sums up how I decide if I like a band or not.
You'd probably like Guided By Voices then if you're going for a lo-fi sound. Also, Unsane and Municipal Waste are good lo-fi sounding MEHTUL.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Mon May 11, 2009 5:04 pm

One rather unknown band I've had on my mp3 player that I haven't listened to all too much recently until the other day is Bullets and Octane.
They sound pretty bland and unimpressive to me, sorry.
I like the Avett Brothers, but I more prefer their stuff before Mignonette.
They were a lot more country/bluegrass back then, I notice. Not that that's a bad thing, of course. I like Mignonette quite a lot. I'm not sure about the whole low-production-value-is-awesome thing - I like my music to sound at least relatively clean. There is something about music recorded on cassette that's quite nice, but poor quality recordings just end up annoying me.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

D-puff

Postby D-puff » Mon May 11, 2009 5:47 pm

They sound pretty bland and unimpressive to me, sorry.
Eh, that's how most of my music is. My actual music collection is only about 23% actual bands and 76% game music, so almost all the music I listen to is almost intentionally bland and unimpressive, which in turn sets my standards about how impressive music is to me quite low...though it also makes my standards on lyrics rather high. It doesn't mean I don't listen to music with lyrics (obviously), but unless a songs lyrics really catches my attention, has some personal meaning behind it, or I really like the singer, I usually stray away. (Edit: Because I could)
ImageImage

Ibun

Postby Ibun » Mon May 11, 2009 6:49 pm

Bullets and Octane: Save Me Sorrow was one of the theme songs used for Wrestlemania 22. I think they are ok, good for just rocking out. I am pretty sure I bought a CD once though I can't remember which one...

The Tea Party: These guys remind me a little bit of Poets of the Fall, though their vocalist (in my opinion) is not as talented. There is something else about that song that kind of irks me but I can't put my finger on it.

Deepspace: As much as I can enjoy ambient music from time to time, this was a bit much. I much prefer along the lines of your (Osprey's) work.

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Mon May 11, 2009 10:08 pm

Slipknot's newest album (Psychosocial and Snuff are wicked songs)
I was pretty disapointed by the new album to be honest, especially after the masterpeice that was Subliminal Verses.

Snuff sounds like Nickelback to me. The other song you listed is good, but again doesn't really sound like Slipknot, more like Stone Sour.

To my ears, the only songs on the album that sound like "Slipknot" are Gematria, Sulfer, Gehenna, This Cold Black, and All Hope Is Gone (which should have been the lead track IMO)

Naw, liked this album even less than Metallica's last effort.

For albums I have liked this year, I'd recomend checking out Dananananaykroyd's debut "Hey Everyone!"

osprey

Postby osprey » Mon May 11, 2009 10:50 pm

I will agree with you there on Slipknot Rooster. Although the album certainly doesn't have as much of a Slipknot feel, I like it...kind of seems to me that Corey Taylor is going down a new path in terms of songwriting, and All Hope is Gone has a lot of the feel that his side project Stonesour does. Gematria and Sulfur are also favourites of mine from that album.

Here are a couple more of my favourite Tea Party songs. I wouldn't expect many to like Deepspace...his stuff is on the pretty intensely ambient end of things, but I'm quite into that sort of dreamy sound.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Mon May 11, 2009 11:24 pm

I love Rock!!!

Patent Fool

Postby Patent Fool » Tue May 12, 2009 1:31 am

I love Rock!!!
me to! I love Rock and Blues!!

Return to “Anything”