School Bans ALL Physical Contact

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

Æron
School Bans ALL Physical Contact

Postby Æron » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:26 am

Connecticut School Bans Physical Contact

East Shore M.S. Outlaws "High-Fives," "Hugging" And Horseplay Of Any Kind; Violators May Face Expulsion
MILFORD, Conn. (CBS) ―

A Connecticut middle school principal has laid down the law: You put your hands on someone -- anyone -- in any way, you're going to pay.
A violent incident that put one student in the hospital has officials at the Milford school implementing a "no touching" policy, according to a letter written by the school's principal.

East Shore Middle School parents said the change came after a student was sent to the hospital after being struck in the groin.

Principal Catherine Williams sent out a letter earlier in the week telling parents recent behavior has seriously impacted the safety and learning at the school.

"Observed behaviors of concern recently exhibited include kicking others in the groin area, grabbing and touching of others in personal areas, hugging and horseplay. Physical contact is prohibited to keep all students safe in the learning environment," Williams wrote.

Students and parents are outraged. They said the new policy means no high-fives and hugs, as well as horseplay of any kind. The consequences could be dire, Williams warned in the letter.

"Potential consequences and disciplinary action may include parent conferences, detention, suspension and/or a request for expulsion from school," Williams wrote.

Many think the school's no tolerance policy goes way too far. Others said it's utterly ridiculous.

"Now it's almost as if it's a sanitized school. Where you have to keep your distance from everybody? And that's not what school is about," one father said.

"What if they are out on the playground at recess, or in gym class?" parent Kathy Casey wondered. "You know, gym class is physical."
Scurry, scurry, Scurryous! You might just be the murriest. You certainly are the furriest! Hurry! Scurry! Scurryous!

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Re: School Bans ALL Physical Contact

Postby nickspoon » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:50 am

"Observed behaviors of concern recently exhibited include [...] hugging
Good thing East Shore M.S. is leading the way to protecting our children from the dangers of hugging.

*shakes head*
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Ibun

Postby Ibun » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:50 am

This is kind of old news. I've heard about other schools that have done this already.

Also, who knows what dangers lurk in our childrens' hugs, Nicholas... /dramatic music
Killin' the first born of lyrical Yul Brynners.

Softpaw

Postby Softpaw » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:03 am

Why do schools make such ridiculous knee-jerk policies? I mean, some kid got in a minor fight, got hurt, and the school creates a no-touching-whatsoever policy...how does this train of thought work?

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:35 am

well it's a middle school, not a highschool, and they have a habit of being run by extremely incompetent people when it comes to keeping up with the social environment of preteens (not that anyone could do a good job at that)

sounds like a scenario from NationStates, though :P
http://www.spingain.com/?ref=146518
Well put doog. You never posted anything offensive whatsoever
we know she'll be back, like a good bitch should.

D-puff

Re: School Bans ALL Physical Contact

Postby D-puff » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:01 am

Why do schools make such ridiculous knee-jerk policies? I mean, some kid got in a minor fight, got hurt, and the school creates a no-touching-whatsoever policy...how does this train of thought work?
East Shore Middle School parents said the change came after a student was sent to the hospital after being struck in the groin.
That is no minor fight!

But yes, it is ridiculous. Perhaps they should use their omnipotent law over the school to solve problems that matter. Like how kids are having their first taste of drugs, et cetera.
ImageImage

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:05 am

yeah, being punched in the groin is a minor fight. I'd be willing to bet that the two kids hadn't been physically fighting before or after that one act.

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:30 am

But what will become of terrorist fist jabs now?
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

Ibun

Postby Ibun » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:42 pm

I wonder if the no touching policy applies to teachers...
Killin' the first born of lyrical Yul Brynners.

D-puff

Postby D-puff » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:45 pm

yeah, being punched in the groin is a minor fight. I'd be willing to bet that the two kids hadn't been physically fighting before or after that one act.
It would still be quite painful. I wouldn't be thinking it was minor after a hospitalizing punch to my groin.
ImageImage

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:06 pm

it's irrelevant, hitting someone ONCE does not amount to a major fight, even if it amounts to major pain.

D-puff

Postby D-puff » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:20 pm

I wouldn't be thinking
whether it was actually major fight or not.
ImageImage

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:08 pm

This sounds like something a strawman from a satirical cartoon created by a writer who's really unsubtle and uncreative would do. But then, so did Jack Thompson's entire career.

There ought to be a special prize awarded to people like this. The Living Strawman Award. "For levels of idiocy so extreme, you'd swear no real human being was capable of it!" It would get published every year, like the Darwin Awards.

Comrade K

Postby Comrade K » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:10 pm

This sounds like something a strawman from a satirical cartoon created by a writer who's really unsubtle and uncreative would do. But then, so did Jack Thompson's entire career.

There ought to be a special prize awarded to people like this. The Living Strawman Award. "For levels of idiocy so extreme, you'd swear no real human being was capable of it!" It would get published every year, like the Darwin Awards.
But then Ann Coulter would win every year.

MuffinSticks

Postby MuffinSticks » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:17 am

I don't get any pop culture references. Bad thing?
КТО ТРОГАЛ МОЯ ПУШКА

<Muninn> Too furry for saneville, too girly for boystown
see, how far raine dog got placed in the background? take that you blue bitch

Return to “World Events”