The Inauguration

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:44 pm

I watched the first few minutes of his speech, then my parents got bored and switched over to Celebrity Cash in the Attic, and I had to go to work at the library. Still, what I saw was excellent.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:26 pm

I didn't bother to watch it, but I read the speech online. Also, AJE had an interesting opinion piece on what the new President's priorities should be.

Cyaegha42

Postby Cyaegha42 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:50 pm

The AJE article was dead-on, and thanks for giving out the link. The points are all salient, and they have it right, we need a great president now. All in all, this has been a day of many things: changes in position, realization of hopes, the beginnings of true equality, and most of all, today brought us all together. That, to me, is the most awe-inspiring facet of the whole experience. All of America, and a good portion of the watching world, tuned into what amounts to our version of a Coronation of a king. Our new President has a hard road ahead of him, and there is so much to deal with, the list is almost endless. But with perseverance on his part, and the hopeful total commitment of all American citizens to these challenges, we can make this nation of ours a proud member of the international community again.
I can say this: No matter how difficult things look, no matter how impossible it may seem to redeem ourselves and our country, we can do it. We went to the Moon, we can come back here and begin to heal the damage and poisoning caused by our previous "President" and his lackeys. We can realize the dream, we can be what we were in the beginning: Proud, strong, and humble in our redemption. We can, and will, lift ourselves up out of the hole we've dug ourselves into, and begin to reach outward towards our fellow Humans, healing the wounds, and putting aside the old arguments in favor of what brought US here: Hope for Change. And that's my bit, folks. I've had my spiel, and I encourage you to continue on posting here. Post your hopes, your ideas for change. Post your dreams, my friends. :D
The past is set, the future has yet to arrive, so your time here in the present, it's a gift to be alive.

Gecko

Postby Gecko » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:15 am

We actually watched a good deal of it (from Biden being sworn in to Obama leaving the stage) in band, totally forgoing music.

Was quite fun to watch, though I hope to see the vague concepts of the speech turn into actions.
Anami and Anami are sitting around Anami says "GRR I AM ANGSTY LET'S EXPRESS ANGST" and so Anami says "ONE OF THE MODS ON DC IS A DICK I POSTED A PICTURE THAT WASN'T REALLY THAT INAPPROPRIATE AND THREE MODS SAW IT AND DID NOTHING THEN A FOURTH ONE SAW IT AND DELETED IT" and Anami says "OMG I HATE MODS >:("

Cyaegha42

Ideas to Action

Postby Cyaegha42 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:56 pm

Well, that's where the hope thing comes into it.. as I recall from my social history, Richard Nixon was viewed with much of the same idealism and hope, and look how he turned out. But Obama gives off a different.. vibe would be the right word. All I can do is hope and pray(and I'm allowed) that he does what he said he was going to do. Now, that shows two things inherent in my nature: I'm hopeful, and naive. But rather that, than jaded. I hope for a better tomorrow every day. Just who I am.
The ceremony itself struck me with two images, one real, the other celluloid: A Nuremberg Rally and the closing in of the army of V's in Vendetta. I'm not comparing the people there to Nazi's(may all of them receive their just reward in whatever is after life), but the formation in the front rows was just about perfect. And as for the army of V's, well, there was a sense of revolution in the air yesterday. We kicked ole "W" out, and now have a complete unknown running the show. Granted, he's made some very savvy decisions on Cabinet posts and the like, but as a President, he is just as naive as we are for that job.. I shudder to think what his acclimation to the Secret part of the job is going to be like. And for that, I envy him. After all, he knows if aliens are really here now. And the true extent of the conflicts we are in. Maybe I don't envy him, now that I stop to think..
Anyhow, off track. I'm pleased to read all of the replies to this thread. It showcased a wide range of ideas and emotions, and that was what I was hoping for. Keep on this thread, though. View it as Inauguration Day +1. I love hearing from all of you, so keep it up! Keep up the dialogue, and not just stuff from here in the States. If you find interesting things from overseas, such as that AJE article, talk about it. Again, if it's inflammatory, PM me. I just want all of us to keep up the dialogue, it's good for us to keep things in perspective, and it takes MANY sides of the perspective to get a true bead on the Real of it.
I'm proud of all who were involved in this. I thank all of you. Good Luck, and Good Night(or Day) to all! :)
The past is set, the future has yet to arrive, so your time here in the present, it's a gift to be alive.

Baconsticks

Postby Baconsticks » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:21 am

There's like, two threads of this bunk.

Cyaegha42

Bunk and such

Postby Cyaegha42 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:50 pm

There's more than just a couple of threads.. as for bunk, my apologies to you. I just really get into political events. Not so much a thought that the world really will change, just the atmosphere, the feeling that change is possible. And it was in the air that day, no denying it. Again, I started this thread to discuss one thing, and after it was over, other discussions began. It is the nature of a forum to do so. But again, if you are offended, as the guy who started it, you have my apologies for your boredom or offense. But it was started with the best of intentions. And now I await the inevitable flameout.
I hope not, though. And add something to it! As I posted many times before, I don't care what the opinion is. Get it out there. Better to be heard than stew in silence. Besides, an opposing idea can often change the dialogue to something different, still containing the original intent, but with a slightly(or not so slightly) different bent to it.
It's all in good fun. At least from my point of view. Tell me if I'm out of line, in all seriousness. Get in the conversation! :smile:

Return to “World Events”