The United States 2008 Presidential Election

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:50 pm

I guess I'll be the one to admit to be voting for McCain. (Yes, despite my politics and D.C. Simpson being a hyperpartisan, this is a great comic strip.) Obama's math doesn't add up. I'm not talking about 57 states, but rather the tax cut for 95% of Americans, funded by tax increases on the top 5%.

First of all, less than 95% of Americans pay income taxes. His "refundable tax credits" will be, for many people, government transfer payments, better known as welfare. If implemented, that will likely make over half of Americans of working age net recipients from the federal government, which will be a dangerous thing.

Second, as a single professional, though earning considerably less than the magic $250,000 a year, I don't believe for a moment that my taxes won't go up under the budget signed by Obama. I am old enough to remember Governor Clinton's proposed middle class tax cut.

Fritz

Postby Fritz » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:14 pm

he's gonna give everyone welfare

except for me

Dr. Doog

Postby Dr. Doog » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:25 pm

]
I guess I'll be the one to admit to be voting for McCain. (Yes, despite my politics and D.C. Simpson being a hyperpartisan, this is a great comic strip.) Obama's math doesn't add up. I'm not talking about 57 states, but rather the tax cut for 95% of Americans, funded by tax increases on the top 5%.

First of all, less than 95% of Americans pay income taxes. His "refundable tax credits" will be, for many people, government transfer payments, better known as welfare. If implemented, that will likely make over half of Americans of working age net recipients from the federal government, which will be a dangerous thing.

Second, as a single professional, though earning considerably less than the magic $250,000 a year, I don't believe for a moment that my taxes won't go up under the budget signed by Obama. I am old enough to remember Governor Clinton's proposed middle class tax cut.
http://definecynical.net/viewtopic.php?p=218687#218687
pants jesus
DCS should've ended the comic a year or two ago.

Fritz

Postby Fritz » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:01 am

osprey

Postby osprey » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:57 am

Obama is going to win.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

likeafox
Administrator

Postby likeafox » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:32 am

If he doesn't then pants the world. Seriously.

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:11 pm

Dibs on the Canadian prime minister.
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

osprey

Postby osprey » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:59 pm

Dibs on the Canadian prime minister.
You bastard. That was going to be me.

Dr. Dos

Postby Dr. Dos » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:01 pm

(Not me)
Live call from McCain campaign, transcript as follows:

"Hello, I am calling on behalf of John McCain and Sarah Palin for president. Can we count on your support?"

"No."

"May I ask why?"

"I'm gay."

"Oh, um- I can accept that, yes." And she hung up.

I wonder if there's a note next to my name on a voter roll that says "Do no call: Gay."
Anami: Sex with a giant, black scorpion seems fun.

<SteveThePocket> Geez. I want more of this stuff now. Now I know how a horny guy on an imageboard feels.

GeorgiaCoyote

Postby GeorgiaCoyote » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:31 pm

With Obama heading in with such momentum, I shudder to think what would happen if he didn't win. I'm seriously concerned that they'll be riots over this. I've never put much into all these polls though. It's one thing to say who you'll vote for in the polls but I feel that a lot of folks will get into that booth and for whatever reason, just won't bring themselves to vote for Obama. It could be his lack of political experience (my primary reason BTW) or it could be, and it shames me to bring this up but, there will be some who just can't let a black man be president. I don't think that's sound reasoning myself but there are those who will cast their vote against Obama for that reason. As I have eluded to, I've decided to vote for McCain. It wasn't the easiest decision to make but I felt it was the best one. You can disagree or agree with me on this and that's ok. I will add this though. Whoever gets elected will be tested, be it Obama or McCain. The terrorists are 2/2 when it comes to attacks with presidential changes. Let's not forget not only 9/11 in 2001 but also the first WTC bombing in 1993. Whoever the president is may face a huge challenge in 2009. We best be prapared to stand behind whoever that may be. I know I will. McCain or Obama, whatever the majority of the country decides, we must unite behind them. Hope everyone here who's registered to vote has done so or will do so tomorrow. I'll be casting mine tommorow morning on the way to work. It's so important that everyone excercise that right to vote.
Nathan

osprey

Postby osprey » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:59 pm

A coworker said to me today that "Obama will win, and be dead within 6 months". Discuss.

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:30 pm

Well, its a potentiality. You have but to look at all the anger at McCain/Palin rallies to see that. And the FBI has already captured two separate groups of people planning such a thing.
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

rabid_fox

Postby rabid_fox » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:38 pm

I heard Obama speak for the first time on the news the other night. He sounds a lot less like James Earl Jones than I'd hoped.

McCain sounds like a cartoon vampire, so he'd get my vote.
Thither

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:38 pm

I was hoping for a Morgan Freeman voice, myself.
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

rabid_fox

Postby rabid_fox » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:59 pm

Morgan Earl Jones oh it's likemoltengoldit'skillingmebutIloveit!
Thither

Return to “World Events”