Pink Floyd keyboardist Richard Wright dies

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

datherman
Pink Floyd keyboardist Richard Wright dies

Postby datherman » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:34 am

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/0 ... index.html
Pink Floyd's spokesman Doug Wright, who is not related to the artist, said Wright died after a battle with cancer at his home in Britain. He says the band member's family did not want to give more details about his death.

Wright met Pink Floyd members Roger Waters and Nick Mason in college and joined their early band, Sigma 6. Along with the late Syd Barrett, the four formed Pink Floyd in 1965.

The group's jazz-infused rock and drug-laced multimedia "happenings" made them darlings of the London psychedelic scene, and their 1967 album, "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn," was a hit.

In the early days of Pink Floyd, Wright, along with Barrett, was seen as the group's dominant musical force. The London-born musician and son of a biochemist wrote songs and sang.

The band released a series of commercially and critically successful albums including 1973's "Dark Side of the Moon," which has sold more than 40 million copies. Wright wrote "The Great Gig In The Sky" and "Us And Them" for that album, and later worked on the group's epic compositions such as "Atom Heart Mother," "Echoes" and "Shine On You Crazy Diamond."

But tensions grew between Waters, Wright and fellow band member David Gilmour. The tensions came to a head during the making of "The Wall" when Waters insisted Wright be fired. As a result, Wright was relegated to the status of session musician on the tour of "The Wall," and did not perform on Pink Floyd's 1983 album "The Final Cut."

Wright formed a new band Zee with Dave Harris, from the band Fashion, and released one album, "Identity," with Atlantic Records.

Waters left Pink Floyd in 1985 and Wright began recording with Mason and Gilmour again, releasing the albums "The Division Bell" and "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" as Pink Floyd. Wright also released the solo albums "Wet Dream" (1978) and "Broken China" (1996).

In July 2005, Wright, Waters, Mason and Gilmour reunited to perform at the "Live 8" charity concert in London -- the first time in 25 years they had been onstage together.

Wright also worked on Gilmour's solo projects, most recently playing on the 2006 album "On An Island" and the accompanying world tour.

Gilmour paid tribute to Wright on Monday, saying his input was often forgotten.

"He was gentle, unassuming and private but his soulful voice and playing were vital, magical components of our most recognized Pink Floyd sound," he said. "I have never played with anyone quite like him."
As a lifetime fan of Pink Floyd, I am saddened by this news. He will be missed.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Baconsticks

Postby Baconsticks » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:20 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Mista_B

Postby Mista_B » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:22 am

WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYU
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." <br>-- Bertrand Russell

Ibun

Postby Ibun » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:54 am

Never been a big fan of Floyd, personal taste what have you; but there is no denying their influence on many of the bands that I downright love. Definately a sad day in music.
Killin' the first born of lyrical Yul Brynners.

osprey

Postby osprey » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:13 am

Well, this is a sad day. May he RIP. Pink Floyd forever.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

datherman

Postby datherman » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:24 am

Ironically, yesterday I had bought a Wish You Were Here poster from a campus sale (I'm really not big into posters usually) and had hung it up in my dorm, then found out about Wright's death mere hours later. Kind of a strange coincidence, especially given the themes behind the WYWH album as a whole.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

GeorgiaCoyote

Postby GeorgiaCoyote » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:10 pm

Ironically, yesterday I had bought a Wish You Were Here poster from a campus sale (I'm really not big into posters usually) and had hung it up in my dorm, then found out about Wright's death mere hours later. Kind of a strange coincidence, especially given the themes behind the WYWH album as a whole.
Boy that is one strange coincidence. I've never been a big Pink Floyd fan but as Ibun said, you can't look past their influence on many bands.
Nathan

Comrade K

Postby Comrade K » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:18 pm

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:39 pm

Pink Floyd will always have a special place in my heart, and also my general musical appreciation. RIP Rick Wright.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:04 pm

This... this sucks. Shine on, you crazy diamond.

*pantsless cries*

Return to “World Events”