Two local items

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

Tom Flapwell
Two local items

Postby Tom Flapwell » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:00 pm

274: The number of top female executives per 100,000 residents in Washington [D.C.] -- the highest such figure in the nation for major metropolitan areas, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. The San Francisco/San Jose area was second.
Nice to know that my city is #1 in something positive.

This next item is remarkable partly for its absurd figures and partly for its unintentionally funny initial ambiguity:
D.C. Judge Drops Pants from Suit
A customer who believes he was mistreated by a dry cleaner has dropped the pants from his suit.

Roy L. Pearson, who filed a $67 million lawsuit against the dry cleaning business that lost his pants, has lowered his demand. Now, he's asking for only $54 million.

The District of Columbia administrative law judge first sued Custom Cleaners over a pair of pants that went missing two years ago. He was seeking about $65 million under the D.C. consumer protection act and almost $2 million in common law claims.

He is focusing his claims on signs in the shop that have since been removed. The suit alleges that three defendants, Jin Nam Chung, Soo Chung and their son, Ki Chung, committed fraud and misled consumers with signs that claimed "Satisfaction Guaranteed."

Chris Manning, the Chungs' attorney, says, "I'm still baffled, unless it's simply to harass and annoy my clients."

Manning says he doesn't expect pearson to win any compensation when the trial starts June 11.
Better hope he doesn't discover this headline, or the paper will be sued for about $80 million.
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

Sage

Postby Sage » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:05 pm

I wonder what would happen if only smart people inhabited this earth...

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:47 pm

In some countries, if you file a civil suit and lose, you have to pay the other side's legal fees. Shame we don't have that here in the States...

Even better would be, if you sue somebody for $X and lose, then YOU have to pay THEM the $X!

osprey

Postby osprey » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:32 pm

There wouldn't be a law judge sueing a cleaner for $54 million.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

gforce422

Postby gforce422 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:27 am

There wouldn't be a law judge sueing a cleaner for $54 million.
Plus we wouldn't have this amusing headline. I think the role stupid people play here is to amuse us smart people with their antics. :lol:
gforce422 is awesome because:
-He made the absolute nicest comments about me in the other topic. I didn't respond to them yet, because I suck, but they are greatly appreciated! =D
-I would say he would also be a good runner up as one of the nicest people alive.
-He joined the IRC sometimes. But not enough, I say! Chat moar =D
-He is evidently only 18 year old but he could easily pass for 25. =D
-He is a drummer like *I* am and this in itself is cool.
Astro> gforce's smiles can cure cancer in kittens
Astro> the happiness radiating from your person is enough to solve tensor calculus
<mib_4do271>everything you touch explodes in pillows of happiness

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:02 am

It wasn't the stupidity that struck me but a reaffirmation of how outlandishly expensive these lawsuits can be in America. I think there should be a limit to how much you can sue for in certain situations.

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:04 am

Thats what "mental anguish" is for. As Dave Barry once had someone else say "certain types of pain are very hard to disprove."
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:50 pm

In some countries, if you file a civil suit and lose, you have to pay the other side's legal fees. Shame we don't have that here in the States...

Even better would be, if you sue somebody for $X and lose, then YOU have to pay THEM the $X!
So then it's like gambling? "I bet you $20 million I can win this case." Cool, except that would cover legitimate suits that lose as well as the frivolous ones.

Granted, I think some higher judges are allowed to rule that the plaintiff has to pay penalties for wasting the court's time, if they want to. But I'm not sure. Judges seem to have a huge amount of deciding power in this country these days.

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:08 pm

Judges seem to have a huge amount of deciding power in this country these days.
That's because they're... judges.

Foxchild

Postby Foxchild » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:20 pm

Uh... yeah, that does exist Stateside. The lawsuit has to meet certain requirements, which can include (but are not limited to) clauses included in signed contracts, cases related to negligence, cases filed with intentions of defamation, cases filed that are viewed as unfounded, and perhaps strangest of all: cases where one side pisses the judge off and doesn't have a case.

'Twas something I had to watch out for when I filed suit against a landlord over a year back. There was a clause saying that if I lost the suit, I'd have to pay their lawyers fees. Heck, there was a chance I'd have to pay them if I won, too.
If you've done things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:37 pm

Just found out, the judge did rule against Rearson, and made him pay the Chungs' legal fees. Just happened to be on our local news at the moment I walked in the room.

Awesomeness. That judge should put that in her commercial come election season.

"Judith Bartnoff... tough on criminals... tougher on morons."

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:56 pm

There was a clause saying that if I lost the suit, I'd have to pay their lawyers fees. Heck, there was a chance I'd have to pay them if I won, too.
The second part of that is just about the worst thing I've ever heard in my life. :( I hope it all worked out for you!

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:17 pm

Necromancy supreme! Sorry, but I read that Judge Pearson just requested a new trial. Thankfully, the Court of Appeals rejected it.

This guy needs to learn when to give up.
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:03 am

Chaos. We need rational stupid people to balace out the irrational smart people.

Angstwolf

Postby Angstwolf » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:32 pm

This fills me with rage in a manner similar to that of the story about the man getting trampled to death at Wal-Mart.

Return to “World Events”