It seems DCS has been busy after all

Discuss DCS's comics and other work.

Moderator:Æron

Tom_Radigan
It seems DCS has been busy after all

Postby Tom_Radigan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:52 am

Last edited by Tom_Radigan on Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trance

Re: It seems DCS has been busy after all

Postby Trance » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:03 pm

I'm pretty sure only you can view what you were trying to link us.

Maggot Brain

Postby Maggot Brain » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:21 pm

Yes, busy drawing ponies and other stupid shit.

Tom_Radigan

Postby Tom_Radigan » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:05 am

What would you rather she do? Continue "Raine Dog"?

Maggot Brain

Postby Maggot Brain » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:50 am

At least Raine Dog was something original (it sucked, but that's not the point). I'd rather read that than see her getting so into some stupid meme with an art style so nonexistant that everyone and their grandmother can copy it.

Tom_Radigan

Postby Tom_Radigan » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:02 am

At least Raine Dog was something original (it sucked, but that's not the point). I'd rather read that than see her getting so into some stupid meme with an art style so nonexistant that everypony and their grandmother can copy it.
She has been doing ponies but more original stuff as well, such as Claire the skunk. Want to ask her for more O&M pictures then?

Caoimhin
Location:In the magical land of Jersey... Watch your step and don't trip on the cows.

Postby Caoimhin » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:32 pm

At least Raine Dog was something original (it sucked, but that's not the point). I'd rather read that than see her getting so into some stupid meme with an art style so nonexistant that everypony and their grandmother can copy it.
You really can't call an entire show a meme. Also, have you actually seen the ponies drawn in other styles? I've seen things that go way off-model, and quite frankly those are the best. It is fanart after all. I think what you truly are sick of, Maggot, is people drawing themselves as ponies in the style of the show, or perhaps those "Hope" poster-types you see all over the place. Considering that was nicked off another guy's design as well, I hardly see that as a reasonable critique. Even if I do disagree with OC characters (they can become a bit much) a ponification of a public figure or as an artist's avatar done for the hell of it, seems harmless.

But overall I don't like what he has done with them, something about the faces on the mane cast on "I heart ponies" seem off. Especially Twilight's who doesn't seem to be reacting to anything and RD smile looks as if she is being made to smile in front of a camera and she doesn't want to. It just seems so forced. Even Pinkie, the most spontaneous and animated pony seems flat, instead of "HEY YOU!" it comes out as "Ahh." like she is at the doctor's office. Fluttershy, looks more like Eeyor with a wide-eyed expression than a shy meek, "I'm in the limelight, oh my..." one. She is tense and nervous but not in a way that conveys those emotions.

Applejack is okay actually, and is the only one that seems genuine, but her pose seems off the forelegs are badly positioned. Spike looks like a creepy stalker, but I rather like Rarity's expression. But even that seems uncharacteristically condenscending and her left foreleg is totally out of place the knee should probably be forward more with the leg positioned farther out. Infact, why is she even making that motion anyway? If you can even call anything happening here "motion". Also, he can't seem to draw wings right, they look like tufts of feather-like fur sticking out of their backs... I mean, if you want to know what I think... **End Flutterant**

Trance

Postby Trance » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:12 am

But overall I don't like what he has done with them, something about the faces on the mane cast on "I heart ponies" seem off. Especially Twilight's who doesn't seem to be reacting to anything and RD smile looks as if she is being made to smile in front of a camera and she doesn't want to. It just seems so forced. Even Pinkie, the most spontaneous and animated pony seems flat, instead of "HEY YOU!" it comes out as "Ahh." like she is at the doctor's office. Fluttershy, looks more like Eeyor with a wide-eyed expression than a shy meek, "I'm in the limelight, oh my..." one. She is tense and nervous but not in a way that conveys those emotions.
That seems to be a recurring problem with DCS's character work in recent years. (S)he seems to have lost all ability to draw expressive faces.

Maggot Brain

Postby Maggot Brain » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:17 am

You really can't call an entire show a meme. Also, have you actually seen the ponies drawn in other styles? I've seen things that go way off-model, and quite frankly those are the best. It is fanart after all. I think what you truly are sick of, Maggot, is people drawing themselves as ponies in the style of the show, or perhaps those "Hope" poster-types you see all over the place. Considering that was nicked off another guy's design as well, I hardly see that as a reasonable critique. Even if I do disagree with OC characters (they can become a bit much) a ponification of a public figure or as an artist's avatar done for the ponyville of it, seems harmless.
It just alarms me that it's so widespread and borderline obsessive. I don't think anyone expected it to have an audience that was anything more than its intended demographic of 5-12 year old girls. Perhaps I just haven't seen it enough (I've really only seen one episode of it), but I don't understand its wide appeal, and when people talk about "deeper meanings" and stuff in the show it just pisses me off. It's a slightly-superior remake of a show that sucked to begin with. Maybe one of these days I'll give it another chance, but right now it just seems like people only like it for its meme-status.

Not to mention that there are so many talented cartoon artists out there who seem to have just abandoned anything original and started churning out generic pony garbage (in fact this thread is good evidence of that). It's kind of depressing to see that happen. As for the part about art styles, I'm sure there is some pony art out there with great style to it. I'm sure some of the artists with more common sense who happen to like the show would lend their own style to it, but it seems the vast majority is merely aping the style that the show is already in, and it's a style so bland and void of personality that it really doesn't take much at all to draw.

That said, I don't hate the program or its fanbase. I hate the mob-mentality and the cheap knockoffs that have come about.

Arloest
Moderator (retired)

Postby Arloest » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:19 am

I understand your position. At this point you'll probably never like the show because of what the fandom has done to people, and that's cool. The only reason why I'm not annoyed by so many people drawing so many people is because I happen to like it (which I never thought I would, by the way, but that says nothing about whether you'll like it). However, I'd probably be super pissed off if, say, people just started drawing Naruto shit all of the sudden. For this I sympathize and apologize. :(

A lot of the fandom does take things way out of hand. I mean, I really like the show a lot, more than I'd care to admit, but shoving the show in people's faces all the time is just obnoxious. I realize that my obsession (and a lot of other people's, especially around here lol) is admittedly pretty strange. I personally don't care, but I know others would, so what's the point in going "oh hey, you don't watch ponies?! Here's all 26 episodes go watch now."

I do disagree that the show's style is void of personality, especially in the animation, but to each his own.

E: I will just add that everyone I know who likes the show (a fair few at this point) do not like the show for any kind of meme status, despite what it looks like from the outside.
Who sleeps shall awake, greeting the shadows from the sun
Who sleeps shall awake, looking through the window of our lives
Waiting for the moment to arrive...
Show us the silence in the rise,
So that we may someday understand...

Maggot Brain

Postby Maggot Brain » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:54 am

I understand your position. At this point you'll probably never like the show because of what the fandom has done to people, and that's cool. The only reason why I'm not annoyed by so many people drawing so many people is because I happen to like it (which I never thought I would, by the way, but that says nothing about whether you'll like it). However, I'd probably be super pissed off if, say, people just started drawing Naruto shit all of the sudden. For this I sympathize and apologize. :(

A lot of the fandom does take things way out of hoof. I mean, I really like the show a lot, more than I'd care to admit, but shoving the show in people's faces all the time is just obnoxious. I realize that my obsession (and a lot of other people's, especially around here lol) is admittedly pretty strange. I personally don't care, but I know others would, so what's the point in going "oh hey, you don't watch ponies?! Here's all 26 episodes go watch now."

I do disagree that the show's style is void of personality, especially in the animation, but to each his own.

E: I will just add that everypony I know who likes the show (a fair few at this point) do not like the show for any kind of meme status, despite what it looks like from the outside.
Fair enough. Like I said, the show itself doesn't bother me even though it's not my thing. I just don't like....well, for one, that suddenly the word "ponies" suddenly refers to MLP. It's all of that stuff. Don't mean to sound like I hate EVERY BODY (I hate the "everypony" thing too) who's into it or anything.

Pop culture is a bitch sometimes, haha.

Caoimhin
Location:In the magical land of Jersey... Watch your step and don't trip on the cows.

Postby Caoimhin » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:58 pm

You really can't call an entire show a meme. Also, have you actually seen the ponies drawn in other styles? I've seen things that go way off-model, and quite frankly those are the best. It is fanart after all. I think what you truly are sick of, Maggot, is people drawing themselves as ponies in the style of the show, or perhaps those "Hope" poster-types you see all over the place. Considering that was nicked off another guy's design as well, I hardly see that as a reasonable critique. Even if I do disagree with OC characters (they can become a bit much) a ponification of a public figure or as an artist's avatar done for the ponyville of it, seems harmless.
Not to mention that there are so many talented cartoon artists out there who seem to have just abandoned anything original and started churning out generic pony garbage (in fact this thread is good evidence of that). It's kind of depressing to see that happen. As for the part about art styles, I'm sure there is some pony art out there with great style to it. I'm sure some of the artists with more common sense who happen to like the show would lend their own style to it, but it seems the vast majority is merely aping the style that the show is already in, and it's a style so bland and void of personality that it really doesn't take much at all to draw.

That said, I don't hate the program or its fanbase. I hate the mob-mentality and the cheap knockoffs that have come about.
I hope I didn't sound too confrantational, it wasn't really what I had in mind. But you didn't seem to take it that way, so no harm done. I agree that it has gained an oddly wide appeal, but no one should draw purely for their audience's benefit, they should do it for themselves. Thats why I happen to like ponies drawn in a unique style, even if sometimes the subject matter is something I really don't like, Cartoonlion's for example. He has one SFW picture of the mane cast standing together that is so much more vibrant than DCS's and I love the way he draws mischievious/suggestive Pinky. It seems we can agree. And as the others pointed out, you're probably only seeing what is at the surface, and because of no fault on your part. However, I'd say this show was more of an overhaul than simply a remake.

So I have to agree, I don't care for mob-mentality, but you typically don't get a "I'm more of a brony than you" reaction from people if you don't even own a shirt. Even, I've made the mistake of being a bit too forward, but if this were Strawberry Shortcake and I decided, "Hey, guys you should really check this out, I'll even provide the DVDs! Give it a chance!" would people have the same reaction? Originally I was going to make an example of Star Trek:TNG, but that would be going to far, and that had a wider demographic than trekkies or bronies by far. Eventually, FiM will suffer... That thing, I can't recall its name right now. Its that thing that shows go through when fans who were exuburiant about it begin to be indifferent to it for some reason. More out of overpopularity than anything. But, I don't see that happening anytime soon, given that it succesfully expanded out of its 4chan roots and out into a non-internet based fandom it likely will have a pretty good shelf life. Also did anyone else notice the new filter? Hell, pants, frickin, yiff.... Hmmm, maybe you should switch pants to buck and yiff to clop, but that last one may be a bit much... When did this become purely a pony thread :laugh: .

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:56 pm

I personally see MLP as God's revenge for all the times I ranted to my friends about how Doctor Who is the greatest thing since Sputnik.

Not that my friends like MLP - they're working class borderline homophobes - but they assume I like it as I'm (and I quote) "a wolf shagging queermo".

Also, Arlo is back? Who gave this forum permission to suddenly start kicking arse again?

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:20 pm

Your friends seem like classy people.

And Doctor Who does pretty much rock.
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:31 pm

Your friends seem like classy people.
Wouldn't hang out with them if they weren't, as I know they mean most of it in jest. And yes, Doctor Who is the earthly manifestation of Christ.

Return to “DCS Fandom”