Simba Cub

Re: Thursday, January 27, 2000: Shouting heads

Postby Simba Cub » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:02 pm

Cute :wag:

Rich::

Maggot Brain

Postby Maggot Brain » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:07 am

Does "nominayshun" imply that he just spells it incorrectly or that he actually says it wrong too? but saying that sounds exactly the same as it always does. I'd be impressed if he managed to actually make the word sound different by saying it like that. Man, the whole implications of that are baffling.

Tom_Radigan

Postby Tom_Radigan » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:21 am

Does "nominayshun" imply that he just spells it incorrectly or that he actually says it wrong too? but saying that sounds exactly the same as it always does. I'd be impressed if he managed to actually make the word sound different by saying it like that. Man, the whole implications of that are baffling.
Since Timulty is just a tyke, it would be safe to assume he simply has trouble repeating such big words.

Maggot Brain

Postby Maggot Brain » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:41 am

Since Timulty is just a tyke, it would be safe to assume he simply has trouble repeating such big words.
Say "nomination" and "nominayshun". They sound exactly the same, so he obviously knows damn well how to pronounce the word. I think we know by now that he can't really spell, so maybe that was the implication, but I fail to see how that would work into his speech considering that he pronounces the word correctly.

And yes, I am going to make a big deal out of this.

Æron

Postby Æron » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:43 am

I thought those were drunk bubbles around Timulty at first.
Scurry, scurry, Scurryous! You might just be the murriest. You certainly are the furriest! Hurry! Scurry! Scurryous!

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:15 am

The unintended irony of this strip is that horse race-style coverage of campaigns, like what Millie's reading in the first panel, is a big part of why most people are uninformed about real issues of policy. Or maybe that was my point and the irony is deliberate. I'm not sure now.
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

NonsenseWords

Postby NonsenseWords » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:36 pm

Say "nomination" and "nominayshun". They sound exactly the same, so he obviously knows damn well how to pronounce the word. I think we know by now that he can't really spell, so maybe that was the implication, but I fail to see how that would work into his speech considering that he pronounces the word correctly.

I think the way it's supposed to be read is that he's saying the word very slowly, low how a small child would read a word phonetically; he says it properly, but it takes him longer to tie all of the syllables together.

\/\/\/ Yeah; on a re-read, it says "nonimayshun" and not "nominayshun". So there's that, too.
Last edited by NonsenseWords on Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:35 pm

He's saying it wrong though. Read carefully, he's saying "nonimayshun".

Furthermore he may be pronouncing it differently, like rhyming the last syllable with sun.

Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:12 pm

You argument is sound except for the part where those two words aren't pronounced the same.

Maggot Brain

Postby Maggot Brain » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:43 pm

You argument is sound except for the part where those two words aren't pronounced the same.
nom·i·na·tion
  /ˌnɒməˈneɪʃən/ [nom-uh-ney-shuhn]

EDIT: oh wait, I just noticed he really does say it wrong. My bad.

Return to “The O&M Archaeological Committee”