Smell of the City - Jan 16, 2009

Talk about recent Raine Dog comics.
Cyaegha42
Thanks, and precedents...

Postby Cyaegha42 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:51 pm

Thanks for the color verification. It's just a foible of mine(I get people to tell me what color things are on regular basis, and on occasion I still catch glimpses of color. I got to be this way via injury as a child, and sometimes the wiring re-connects just a little bit). And as for feeling forced or busy, that's what set up pages are for. Get the imagination going, and then go off in another direction(maybe), or stay the same. It's all framing and storytelling. If you ever get the chance, read the first few years of Bloom County. The later years(excepting Outland and the last incarnation) are different beasts altogether.
And actually, I miss Bloom County. The news that Mr. Breathed is shuttering the doors on it was indeed disheartening. I grew up reading it, and will miss it terribly. Although, I saw a copy of "A Wish for Wings that Work" at Wal-Mart the other day. Snatched it right up! :lol:
The past is set, the future has yet to arrive, so your time here in the present, it's a gift to be alive.

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:38 am

I started reading Bloom County when my friend Marco had a Opus book that had 20 years of the best Sunday comics. I read Bloom County and thought that it was pretty good. I read Outland and still thought it was funny. I didn't really finish reading that book. I had to trade my Ozy and Millie Zen Again book to get it. Ironically Marco didn't finsih Zen Again either which is wierd because it's thinner than his Opus book.

Cyaegha42

The Meadow Ticket

Postby Cyaegha42 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:36 am

Well, all I can say is this: Get your hands on any Bloom County collections you can. Not only are they funny, they had some of the sharpest political critiques and commentaries on America's social structure during the '80s. Required reading, if you want to understand where we stand today, politically and socially. Also, my first election(1992), I scratched out the names, and wrote in Bill and Opus.. The Saliva and Beak ticket!
Check out the PVP archives just after election day, and you'll catch a glimpse of the Meadow Party, and the aftermath of yet another election gone. Kurtz is one smart cookie. First Breathed, now the Doctor. Brilliant! :lol:

Besides, any story arc entitled "Attack of the Mark Kay Commandos" simply CAN NOT be ignored.
The past is set, the future has yet to arrive, so your time here in the present, it's a gift to be alive.

RocketGirl

Re: The Meadow Ticket

Postby RocketGirl » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:46 am

Besides, any story arc entitled "Attack of the Mark Kay Commandos" simply CAN NOT be ignored.
Ehhh...I preferred the "Billy and the Boingers" era of Bloom County, myself.
Introducing new Dark Side RocketGirl™: Quicker, Easier, More Seductive!

ImageImage

Cyaegha42

Requirements for Band

Postby Cyaegha42 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:08 am

"Must be able to grimace musically"
Best line ever.

Also, when Rosebud the Basselope auditioned in spandex, singing Simon and Garfunkel...classic stuff.. "Hello darkness, my old friend...".. I can see the whole arc in my head now. And when Steve Dallas "waffled" in front of the Committee.
Deathtongue no more.

Wait. Deathtongue/Deathmole.
That crafty little dude.. QC takes place in the Bloom universe!

Anyhow, how about "Tales Too Ticklish To Tell"? The picture of a half-naked George Bush and Opus was too much.

Good memories. :D

Trance

Postby Trance » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:07 pm

ACK

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:45 pm

I must admit that I really don't like it. Well, that's only half true. I *love* the art style, and hope that she keeps with it. But the actual story seems so... I can't even think of an adjective... pointless? Contrived? Uninteresting? When I finished reading it, I was like, "Yeah, and? So what?"

But hey, it's just the introduction. And it's not my strip -- what matters is that DC likes it, since it's her strip. Not mine.

If it continues in this way in terms of dialogue, it's just not my cup of tea. But not everything has to be. De gustibus non est disputandum and whatnot.

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:03 pm

hmm, yes, when DCS first began publishing OM he spent several years working on it and producing a repertoire of strips and everything. So, he didn't do that traditional "50 strips of introductory crap because I'm new to the whole comic thing". With this, however, she does seem to be doing it (although, with a more professional angle).
http://www.spingain.com/?ref=146518
Well put doog. You never posted anything offensive whatsoever
we know she'll be back, like a good bitch should.

A dude named Vince

Postby A dude named Vince » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:36 pm

I'm not one to be completely put off by something just at the start of it, not that I'm saying already I don't like it. I won't say that I love this new series from the get-go either. But I will definitly keep following it.
Like Shredder emerging from the ooze, I've returned for a while!
Gary's mod?

The MAZZTer
Location:Destiny, several billion light years from Earth. Also known as Vancouver.

Postby The MAZZTer » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:08 am

Good lord people, there's only been ONE strip put up so far. Facepalm

At least wait until there's enough of it to decide you don't like it, before deciding you don't like it.

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:12 am

Good lord people, there's only been ONE strip put up so far. Facepalm

At least wait until there's enough of it to decide you don't like it, before deciding you don't like it.
"Here, let me stick this in there a few more times. How do you know you don't like it yet? I only did it once!"

I guess my point is, why isn't it possible to decide "I don't like this" immediately?

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:24 am

Bear with us. This is the first time probably any of us have already been expected to discuss a comic when it's brand new.

Extreme-Speed

Postby Extreme-Speed » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:41 am

Everyone is wearing trench coats, including the blue dog thing. However, the blue dog thing is not wearing anything under the coat. Since we only see the people from the back, it could be supposed that the people things are dressed the same as the dog thing. In that case... Ugh.

RocketGirl

Postby RocketGirl » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:25 am

Bear with us. This is the first time probably any of us have already been expected to discuss a comic when it's brand new.
Hell, it's the first time I've ever read a comic from strip one as it comes in.
Introducing new Dark Side RocketGirl™: Quicker, Easier, More Seductive!

ImageImage

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:26 am

Hell, it's the first time I've ever read a comic from strip one as it comes in.

Return to “Raine Dog Strips”