Bluedogs

Talk about recent Raine Dog comics.
Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:20 pm

Interesting, a single page comic turned this thread into a 6 paged tl;dr thread.

Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:19 pm

Had my tonsils out when I was 6 or 7. I couldn't talk for a week or so and I ate enough ice cream for my entire school!

BTW, no one liked my snoring Lew post? Just wanted to inject a little humor into the discussion. Or am I on probation for my meltdown last week? Yeah, I'm pretty ashamed about that. :oops:

Back on topic, I have a disability and cannot work full time. Therefore, I am on my parents health plan. In fact, my dad just renewed coverage for me. Point is, I'm kinda worried about what will happen when my parents die. I'll need something so I'm hoping this whole situation gets straightened before that happens.

If you have a disability you should be able to get medicare or medicade. I always mix up which is for old people and which is for white trash who claim to have a back injury that prevents them from working but doesn't prevent them from riding 4 Wheelers.

Extreme-Speed

Postby Extreme-Speed » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:42 pm

This entire topic is irrelevant to me. The comic makes no sense to me either. How dissappointing.
Well, as the old economics mantra goes, there's no such thing as a free lunch. So no, it's not 'free', technically, in the sense that nothing is free.
Oxygen is free.

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:22 pm

This entire topic is irrelevant to me. The comic makes no sense to me either. How dissappointing.
Well, as the old economics mantra goes, there's no such thing as a free lunch. So no, it's not 'free', technically, in the sense that nothing is free.
Oxygen is free.
Oxygen is actually purchased in bulk from various planktons and trees in exchange for carbon credits.
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

sad jazz cantaloupe

Postby sad jazz cantaloupe » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:30 am

not if people want to get cancer.
Apologies to everyone. Except Fritz.
First of all, Fritz, do yourself a favor and research your own answers before you post.

Gecko

Postby Gecko » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:13 am

No.

Incentive
–noun
1. something that incites or tends to incite to action or greater effort, as a reward offered for increased productivity.

An incentive is a reason/reward that causes you to perform an action.

Hence, you drink beer (action) because it will reduce your risk of cancer (incentive).

The statement as you put it: You reduce your risk of cancer because you drink beer; hence, drinking beer is the incentive to not get cancer. This is wrong.

Drinking beer is an action, not a reward; reduced risk of cancer is a reward, not an action. You've flipped the statement around and flipped the incentive/reward relationship with it. There's your mistake.

Can we all move on now?
Anami and Anami are sitting around Anami says "GRR I AM ANGSTY LET'S EXPRESS ANGST" and so Anami says "ONE OF THE MODS ON DC IS A DICK I POSTED A PICTURE THAT WASN'T REALLY THAT INAPPROPRIATE AND THREE MODS SAW IT AND DID NOTHING THEN A FOURTH ONE SAW IT AND DELETED IT" and Anami says "OMG I HATE MODS >:("

sad jazz cantaloupe

Postby sad jazz cantaloupe » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:21 am

fritz's problem was that he was interpreting "not getting cancer" as a reward, and not an action. so...?

and also that he enjoys saying that things are wrong regardless of whether he understands what the intended statement was or not.
First of all, Fritz, do yourself a favor and research your own answers before you post.

Gecko

Postby Gecko » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:26 am

fritz's problem was that he was interpreting "not getting cancer" as a reward, and not an action. so...?

and also that he enjoys saying that things are wrong regardless of whether he understands what the intended statement was or not.
No, that was your issue here.

yes there is. Scientists are working on modifying the ingredients of beer to make beer have the same cancer-preventing chemical that is found in red wine. So, drinking beer is the incentive to not get cancer.
you have it backwards
You said that drinking beer is the incentive to not getting cancer. My last post shows that you misinterpreted the meaning of 'incentive.'

Fritz summarized my entire post with the "you have it backwards."
Last edited by Gecko on Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anami and Anami are sitting around Anami says "GRR I AM ANGSTY LET'S EXPRESS ANGST" and so Anami says "ONE OF THE MODS ON DC IS A DICK I POSTED A PICTURE THAT WASN'T REALLY THAT INAPPROPRIATE AND THREE MODS SAW IT AND DID NOTHING THEN A FOURTH ONE SAW IT AND DELETED IT" and Anami says "OMG I HATE MODS >:("

Comrade K

Postby Comrade K » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:29 am

So, if I not get cancer, I get to drink beer?

Gecko

Postby Gecko » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:55 am

So, if I not get cancer, I get to drink beer?
Tai, you pointed out the faulty reasoning so much more succinctly and in so much less time that my only course of action now is to kill you. :<

sad jazz cantaloupe

Postby sad jazz cantaloupe » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:05 am

[the] problem was that he was interpreting "not getting cancer" as a reward, and not an action.
people get cancer. getting cancer is the action that people are doing. the ability to drink beer that can help prevent cancer is an incentive to not get cancer. The only problem was that my grammar is purposefully odd when used with the concepts we're discussing, and Fritz [and apparently anami] can't help himself but to rage at things like that.

problem solved

cougartiger

Postby cougartiger » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:37 am

If you have a disability you should be able to get medicare or medicade. I always mix up which is for old people and which is for white trash who claim to have a back injury that prevents them from working but doesn't prevent them from riding 4 Wheelers.
Trust me, my parents have gone through every option. Problem is that my disability is a slight neurological impairment. The key word is "slight". It neither makes me stupid, retarted or "slow" but does effect my short term memory to a degree.

Thing is, it's not bad enough for most options. In fact, my dad had to pull out all the paperwork from my last tests and a bunch of other crap to convince them to keep me on my parents plan. They did agree, finally.

But it's all BS. Everyone is entitled to free healthcare. There is no reason the USA can't do it. None.
My Deviant Art page, home of my epic biography of Captain Lucius Locke, The Pirate's Tale.
Now including artwork!

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

sad jazz cantaloupe

Postby sad jazz cantaloupe » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:20 am

no you still don't understand what words mean

try it like this: "not getting cancer is an incentive to drink beer"
the fact that you were able to reword it to something that made sense proves that you understood what the words meant.

Gecko

Postby Gecko » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:38 am

no you still don't understand what words mean

try it like this: "not getting cancer is an incentive to drink beer"
the fact that you were able to reword it to something that made sense proves that you understood what the words meant.
Sir emotion music fruit, you appear to be unable to discern the meaning of 'incentive.' I hereby cease to participate in this discussion, as the meaning of the aforementioned word has been made abundantly clear, and you persistently continue to ignore it.

As I have no wish to further contribute to this strain of conversation, I bid you farewell, good sir.

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:09 am

I've not been following this entire US health care debate as closely as some people here seem to have been, but did some people really think Stephen Hawking wasn't British?

Return to “Raine Dog Strips”