Fork #definecynical IRC chat room into two rooms

Discuss anything pertinent to this website.

Moderator:Æron

Split #dc into two rooms on IRC?

Fork into two rooms
31%
Keep it going how it is
69%

Total votes: 26

jent
Staff
Fork #definecynical IRC chat room into two rooms

Postby jent » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:16 am

Should we split DC into two chat rooms. It seems some want to have a more controlled chat environment while others just want to do what they want. What this would mean is that the current #definecynical would become more controlled. Specifically against childish behavior and flooding. But a second room that would be eventually un-regualted would be created....a lot more lenient than the current #dc. If you did do something after a warning, like a flooding in #definecynical then a ban would be a lot more likely, most likely for the entire evening. But of course you would still be able to go into the other room. I am not trying to restrict subject matter at all, just behavior.

So what do you guys think? Have a more controlled #definecynical but give an outlet for those who wish to be how they want to be, and give them more freedom there? Or just keep it going how it is now?
cheers.....
<center>Image</center>

Dr. Doog

Postby Dr. Doog » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:18 am

yo, I still think it's being a jerk to try to put in rules on a chatroom that lasted three years without them. so, I say no.

but if it does fork I make the first amendment to the room's charter saying that I'm an auto-op D:
pants jesus
DCS should've ended the comic a year or two ago.

Tai
Staff

Postby Tai » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:19 am

easily claims second post

what would the "rules" for the moderated room be?

Zaaphod
Moderator (retired)

Re: Fork #definecynical IRC chat room into two rooms

Postby Zaaphod » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:19 am

give an outlet for those who wish to be how they want to be, and give them more freedom there?
You mean like it was before certain people decided to lord it over everyone? Yes, split the room so those certain people can run their little fiefdom to their heart's content.
Made by Angela. :D

Spray

Postby Spray » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:20 am

Well, I think it depends on what "behavior" is considered "childish". If it's just things like spamming and allcaps speech and other such things generally considered to be disruptive, then I'm fine with having two channels.

Either way, I'm not going to lose any sleep over the matter. What happens, happens.

jent
Staff

Postby jent » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:24 am

I guess I should better define it, but it would be flooding, both of smilies and nonsense, and text you paste, and ascii art. It could also be considered rapid nickname changes, or trying to pose as someone else....over user or constant use of colours. In general i would say it is anything taken to the extreme I think could be considered inappropriate.
Last edited by jent on Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers.....
<center>Image</center>

Dr. Doog

Postby Dr. Doog » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:25 am

alright I actually understand why some people get upset at the first things, but trying to ban rapid nick changing and impersonations is like...

trying to ban the discussion of ozy and millie.
pants jesus
DCS should've ended the comic a year or two ago.

Burning Sheep Productions

Postby Burning Sheep Productions » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:26 am

What would they be called?
Burning Sheep Productions

Tai
Staff

Postby Tai » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:35 am

Well honestly if it MUST be said that all that stuff will be considered a bannable offence, then my vote is have #definecynical be the "Crazy" room; it will go on as it always has for the past three years, and other cynics can go to another room.

Honestly if #definecynical becomes the seriously moderated room it would just be forcing change on something that has been working. Sure things have gotten tense but why change a room when you can just make another and leave the original intact.

jent
Staff

Postby jent » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:39 am

Well honestly if it MUST be said that all that stuff will be considered a bannable offence, then my vote is have #definecynical be the "Crazy" room; it will go on as it always has for the past three years, and other cynics can go to another room.

Honestly if #definecynical becomes the seriously moderated room it would just be forcing change on something that has been working. Sure things have gotten tense but why change a room when you can just make another and leave the original intact.
This is another option, and I would be willing to hear if any others are interested in a fork with the rolls of the rooms reversed.
What would they be called?
Undecided
cheers.....
<center>Image</center>

Bocaj Claw

Re: Fork #definecynical IRC chat room into two rooms

Postby Bocaj Claw » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:54 am

give an outlet for those who wish to be how they want to be, and give them more freedom there?
You mean like it was before certain people decided to lord it over everyone? Yes, split the room so those certain people can run their little fiefdom to their heart's content.
Explain yourself
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

Tai
Staff

Postby Tai » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:08 am

Before I vote I have to ask: is keeping #dc's moderation lax equal to keeping one room, or will there HAVE to be one room where your rules will be instated? If I am voting for "keep one room" am I voting for "Make #dc officially under heavy moderation"?

Loeln

Postby Loeln » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:10 am

I guess I should better define it, but it would be flooding, both of smilies and nonsense, and text you paste, and ascii art. It could also be considered rapid nickname changes, or trying to pose as someone else....over user or constant use of colours. In general i would say it is anything taken to the extreme I think could be considered inappropriate.
Throughout all idleness, I've yet to see any of these be done to an irritating extent except from Yagyu and other bots.

I anyone has a problem with room ops, just stop giving ops to anyone other than the usual Spray, Arloest, _5hfifty.
Asuna Kagurazaka, Negima Magister Nyoro~nEgi Magi

Tai
Staff

Postby Tai » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:21 am

I anyone has a problem with room ops, just stop giving ops to anyone other than the usual Spray, Arloest, _5hfifty.
Spray is usually moderator now? D:

beaten :@

why couldn't it be like the old days when everyone had no ops except simon and sometimes arlo and we got alonggggg

Comrade K

Postby Comrade K » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:45 am

I like the idea of having the original #DC stay how it is, and having a side room for civil discussion. I honestly don't find that there's any problem on the channel most of the time. The stuff that does happen doesn't bother me, the whole lawlessness of DC is what I love about it, because people rarely do anything bad anyway. This site's moderation is lax too, and apart from the rare argument or the like, everything is fine.
I wouldn't mind a seperate room to continue conversations, but it wouldn't be #DC if tai wasn't constantly getting booted, and people weren't posing as other people all the time etc.

Return to “The Site”