Site Suspended

Discuss anything pertinent to this website.

Moderator:Æron

Llewthepoet
Site Suspended

Postby Llewthepoet » Fri May 11, 2007 4:15 am

During the late afternoon today, the forum was supposedly suspended due to not being payed for. Did it really happened to everyone else? What was up with that?

I know we had a huge thunderstorm over here and it knocked out a few channels.

Fritz

Postby Fritz » Fri May 11, 2007 4:24 am

Apparently someone uploaded a virus onto jent's thing or whatever and stuff suffered. Ask jent. He'll explain it better.

Foxchild

Postby Foxchild » Fri May 11, 2007 5:34 pm

Apparently someone uploaded a virus onto jent's thing or whatever and stuff suffered. Ask jent. He'll explain it better.
I have to say, pretty interesting virus, then. Gotta give cred to the writer of it.

If it was a virus, did the forums have to be restored? or did it just change a pointer?
If you've done things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all.

Richard K Niner

Postby Richard K Niner » Fri May 11, 2007 7:14 pm

I have to say, pretty interesting virus, then. Gotta give cred to the writer of it.

If it was a virus, did the forums have to be restored? or did it just change a pointer?
Apparently it wasn't a virus effecting the server, but an EXE file...

(Yeah, that's pretty big security oversight, I'd say...)
<center>Image
K9U | Dog House | Av rotation</center>

Softpaw

Postby Softpaw » Fri May 11, 2007 7:22 pm

Yeah, Jent's main page (www.bigbudden.com) had a universal file uploader for hosting purposes. It appears that someone uploaded something malicious to this service, used it, got reported, and got the site shut down because of it.

A thread on his forum alluding to this: http://bbd-forum.bigbudden.com/viewthre ... =1#pid7257

jent
Staff

Postby jent » Fri May 11, 2007 8:33 pm

Yea you guys basiclly got it figured out....I was just going to confirm/deny everything:

It was not a billing issue, everything is paid for and what not

No we did not lose any data, and nothing had to be restored, my account was just put on hold for a couple hours

Yes somneone did upload a virus, but it did not effect the server. It was two .exe's that my host had descovered and then shut me down thinking I was a phishing site and spreading viruses. As soon as I explained how the viruses got there, and that I had nothing to do with it they released my account.

Anyways...Sorry for the service disruption, my host did not give me any warning on this matter. Also because of this, just like that one thread says, I have taken down the file uploader for now. If you need help posting files I will be willing to help you on a one on one basis but for now I don't think it is wise to leave that service up.

Let me know if you have any questions left....This should not happen again,
cheers.....
<center>Image</center>

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Fri May 11, 2007 8:54 pm

Yes somneone did upload a virus, but it did not effect the server.
I'm guessing it didn't affect the server, either. :-P
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Fri May 11, 2007 10:11 pm

Grammer Nazi :wag:

And yeah jent, I don't blame your for removing the service dude. I mean, that was a kindness you had that there in the first place. For someone to do that is like a family giving someone a room for free, then that person using the adress to send poop in the mail.

Dr. Doog

Postby Dr. Doog » Sat May 12, 2007 7:09 pm

send poop in the mail.

hehehe :wag:
pants jesus
DCS should've ended the comic a year or two ago.

The Donmeister

Postby The Donmeister » Sun May 13, 2007 2:23 am

Maybe you'd need a registered account in order to upload files, and we need your permission to register?

But that guy sucks. Glad you didn't have much trouble getting it resolved.

jent
Staff

Postby jent » Sun May 13, 2007 9:21 am

Maybe you'd need a registered account in order to upload files, and we need your permission to register?

But that guy sucks. Glad you didn't have much trouble getting it resolved.
I can absolutely do this......if anyone else is interested in this service just let me know and I can easily set this up.p.
cheers.....
<center>Image</center>

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Tue May 15, 2007 12:32 pm

Reminds me of the virus incident at John Gilmore's mail server on toad.com. Though, this is different I know.

Return to “The Site”