Weird News

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:09 pm

Quote Marks Totally Legitimize Name
The former Dan Miller, 24, has legally changed his name to "The" Dan Miller Experience. His first name is "The" Dan, with the quotation marks. His middle name is Miller and his last name is Experience. About 300 people petitioned the Summit County Probate Court in Akron, Ohio, last yeat to change a name, and Experience was one of the few who was called to explain why. The musician and rapper did so, and last month the change became official. "My first reaction was that this guy was going to have some problems with Homeland Security," said Magistrate Larry Poulos, who approved the name change.
Y'know, I'm pretty sure "real" rappers don't have their names legally changed to their stage names. Diddy, for example, is still legally named Sean Combs.

...What was that comic where the teenage girl character once announced that she wanted to change her name to an apostrophe?

VisibilityMissing

Postby VisibilityMissing » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:16 pm

The Great Escape . . .
Jan 11, 9:30 PM EST

Minn. Man Finds His AWOL Wallaby

CHAMPLIN, Minn. (AP) -- Dave Carlson says the police in this north-metro suburb thought he was joking when he called to report that his wallaby went AWOL. "And then they wanted to know what a wallaby was," he said. "I explained it was like a kangaroo, but smaller."

Rachet, the 1 1/2-year-old wallaby, went missing recently from Carlson's backyard. Carlson believes someone let the animal out of its kennel, so Carlson called the cops.

He then did what any loving pet owner would do: He put missing marsupial fliers up in the neighborhood and posted a lost pet ad on Craigslist that said "LOST KANGAROO."

The text of the ad read: "Well, he's not a kangaroo but he is my pet wallaby. ... He looks just like a kangaroo but only about 2.5 ft tall and wearing a blue harness."

"He's such a great pet," said Carlson, who also owns two parrots, a dog and a cat. "He's very personable."

A day after Rachet disappeared, Champlin police called Carlson with good news: a wallaby had been spotted by a person waiting for a bus near Carlson's house.

Carlson said the caller told police, "I may need to go to a psych ward, but I think I saw a kangaroo go by."

Then, Carlson chased his wily wallaby for about 30 minutes.

"Every time I got close, he ran again," he said.

Eventually, Carlson nabbed Rachet.

"I didn't think I would ever see him again," said Carlson, who is keeping Rachet in the basement until he can secure the kennel. "He's extremely hard to catch. And when I did, I thought, 'Ahhhh, yes.'"
"The beauty of this is that it is only of theoretical importance,
and there is no way it can be of any practical use whatsoever."
- Sidney Harris

"Perhaps they've discovered the giant whoopee cushion I hid
under the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge." http://ozyandmillie.org/2002/01/03/ozy-and-millie-819/

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:33 am

They had to ask what a wallaby was? Thpbbt.
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

Tarukai

Postby Tarukai » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:11 pm

Obviously they have never seen Rocko's Modern Life, and are therefore sheltered.
[00:34:00] <Dermy> I do love to manipulate the standard rules of language for opportunistic effect
[00:34:06] <Dermy> Like a grammar hyena, I am
[00:34:16] <Dermy> Munching on the tasty entrails of tradition

[22:26:20] <MuffinSticks> I'm a chocolate muffin with white ears and a striped black and red tail
[22:26:35] <MuffinSticks> And exactly 6 chips

My DA account, for those who care enough to look/click/etc.
And my FA account as well!

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:30 am

Obviously they have never seen Rocko's Modern Life, and are therefore PIECES OF SHIT WHO DON'T DESERVE TO LIVE.

/ftfy

Fritz

Postby Fritz » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:02 am

Obviously they have never seen Rocko's Modern Life, and are therefore PIECES OF SHIT WHO DON'T DESERVE TO LIVE.
I AGREE WITH THIS COMMENT.

Tarukai

Postby Tarukai » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:35 am

I have to admit, Sigma revised it quite well.
[00:34:00] <Dermy> I do love to manipulate the standard rules of language for opportunistic effect
[00:34:06] <Dermy> Like a grammar hyena, I am
[00:34:16] <Dermy> Munching on the tasty entrails of tradition

[22:26:20] <MuffinSticks> I'm a chocolate muffin with white ears and a striped black and red tail
[22:26:35] <MuffinSticks> And exactly 6 chips

My DA account, for those who care enough to look/click/etc.
And my FA account as well!

Foxhound

Postby Foxhound » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:52 am

AS DO I.

(Pity to those who were born after Rocko's Modern Life went off the air for all intents and purposes; only the Christmas special airs now)
Image < http://stopvirgin.movielol.org/
ImageImage
"No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up."

GeorgiaCoyote

Postby GeorgiaCoyote » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:23 pm

(Pity to those who were born after Rocko's Modern Life went off the air for all intents and purposes; only the Christmas special airs now)

Well unless one has the Nicktoons channel. Though even they are phasing out the good ones or putting them at time slots well there's almost no hope of them being seen. I do miss that show. That one and the Angry Beavers.
Nathan

Foxchild

Postby Foxchild » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:26 pm

AS DO I.
THIRDED.

GeorgiaCoyote

Postby GeorgiaCoyote » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:09 pm

You know...I'm a little surprised that no one has brought up the UFO sighting in Texas until...well now. I haven't had a chance to get much details but I was expecting to see something about it here. Maybe I'm being too presumptious though...maybe UFO's aren't as strange to y'all as it is to me. It's all relative to one's view of what strange news is after all.

Edit...sorry bout that. Meant to put the link in.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/odd_ufo_sightings
Last edited by GeorgiaCoyote on Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nathan

Foxchild

Postby Foxchild » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:28 pm

You know...I'm a little surprised that no one has brought up the UFO sighting in Texas until...well now. I haven't had a chance to get much details but I was expecting to see something about it here. Maybe I'm being too presumptious though...maybe UFO's aren't as strange to y'all as it is to me. It's all relative to one's view of what strange news is after all.
Was entirely unaware of this, actually. details?

KJ Fellie

Postby KJ Fellie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:15 pm

Well unless one has the Nicktoons channel. Though even they are phasing out the good ones or putting them at time slots well there's almost no hope of them being seen. I do miss that show. That one and the Angry Beavers.
You share a part of my soul, don't you?

On a semi-related note, I had another encounter with the ghost at my work the other night. It was playing with my cell phone.
I was listening to music on my phone while doing paperwork, and on a whim decided to check the time. I paused my music and walked out of the office, looked at the clock, and came back into the office, and my music was playing again. (creepy. the ghost likes Santana.) So I took my phone with me and told my coworkers about it, and while I was doing so, a pan fell of a shelf into a sink. It scared the hell out of them.
Quoth the spotted fox: <b>*yerf*</b> :locke:
You usually
have to take what people say
with a grain of salt.
(or in cases like
mine, a shaker or two may
yield the best result.)

むらがあるフォックス
If you miss my old sigs...

gforce422

Postby gforce422 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:09 pm

Speaking of ghost stories, I have one of my own... :D

My mother's family once owned a grandfather clock the came from Germany's Black Forest. Long story short, the clock would stop whenever a family member passed away. And if that isn't creepy enough, when the clock stopped, it would be within an hour of the actual time of death. Apparently it happened three or four times. Really weird....
gforce422 is awesome because:
-He made the absolute nicest comments about me in the other topic. I didn't respond to them yet, because I suck, but they are greatly appreciated! =D
-I would say he would also be a good runner up as one of the nicest people alive.
-He joined the IRC sometimes. But not enough, I say! Chat moar =D
-He is evidently only 18 year old but he could easily pass for 25. =D
-He is a drummer like *I* am and this in itself is cool.
Astro> gforce's smiles can cure cancer in kittens
Astro> the happiness radiating from your person is enough to solve tensor calculus
<mib_4do271>everything you touch explodes in pillows of happiness

KJ Fellie

Postby KJ Fellie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:04 pm

Let's hope that clock keeps on ticking, then.
My mother was actually visited by her uncle on the night he died, at about the time he died. He said that everything was alright. That's good to hear. My ghost experiences aren't that close. I've pretty much only seen the ghost at work in the evenings, walking back and forth in front of the counter. It's someone dressed in dark clothing. half the time I think someone's broken in, but when I look around the place, there's no way in or out that I wouldn't hear or see. I've even seen it when we were open. It's been more active since we remodeled about a year ago. I want to get a good look at it, but not too good, if you know what I mean.
Quoth the spotted fox: <b>*yerf*</b> :locke:
You usually
have to take what people say
with a grain of salt.
(or in cases like
mine, a shaker or two may
yield the best result.)

むらがあるフォックス
If you miss my old sigs...

Return to “World Events”