Weird News

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Thu May 21, 2009 7:16 pm

Codswallop my good man. It would make a FINE ADDITION to my already massive collection of wolf shirts.
Regardless, I recently obtained, from a mysterious man on the Victoria Embankment, a shirt with four wolves and the moon on it.

On closer inspection, one of them may be a fox, but it is nonetheless entirely superior to a mere three-wolved shirt.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Thu May 21, 2009 7:23 pm

Codswallop my good man. It would make a FINE ADDITION to my already massive collection of wolf shirts.
Regardless, I recently obtained, from a mysterious man on the Victoria Embankment, a shirt with four wolves and the moon on it.

On closer inspection, one of them may be a fox, but it is nonetheless entirely superior to a mere three-wolved shirt.
Your newly-acquired shirt sounds splendid. I am humbled by your acquisition and proud to simply know you, the owner of such a fine piece of clothing.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Thu May 21, 2009 7:42 pm

Your newly-acquired shirt sounds splendid. I am humbled by your acquisition and proud to simply know you, the owner of such a fine piece of clothing.
That is precisely what Her Majesty the Queen said as I strolled past Buckingham Palace wearing it, shortly after she knighted me.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Thu May 21, 2009 10:06 pm

Don't lie Nick, you've never worn a shirt.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri May 22, 2009 1:08 am

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

That reminds me of this
Reminded me of this. And the many people I have known who had real wolf shirts. Including myself, though in my defense it was a World Wildlife Fund shirt and the graphic was a lot less artsy.

datherman

Postby datherman » Fri May 22, 2009 7:47 am

I saw a screenshot of the one wolf shirt one. The very last one was the "Wolf Shirt cured my AIDS!" "There is no way our shirt cured your AIDS." one and I LOL'd like no tomorrow.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Fri May 22, 2009 1:10 pm

Short Shameful Confession™: From after-high-school to the first six months or so of college, I wore my hair in a very long braid, and wore almost NOTHING but wolf t-shirts and jeans and sandals. I must have owned, like, 20 wolf t-shirts.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Fri May 22, 2009 4:24 pm

Don't lie Nick, you've never worn a shirt.
I did once, but that was only because I was told it was inappropriate to go to a funeral bare-chested.

osprey

Postby osprey » Fri May 22, 2009 7:50 pm

Short Shameful Confession™: From after-high-school to the first six months or so of college, I wore my hair in a very long braid, and wore almost NOTHING but wolf t-shirts and jeans and sandals. I must have owned, like, 20 wolf t-shirts.
On the bright side, you were aids-free this entire time.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Sat May 23, 2009 2:13 am

I must have owned, like, 20 wolf t-shirts.
And they were all different? OK, the thought that there are 20 different makers of wolf shirts out there is way weirder than any revelation about your or anyone else's wardrobe.

gforce422

Postby gforce422 » Sat May 23, 2009 10:05 pm

Wow. Just...wow.
Emergency Surgery: Doctor Saves Boy's Life Using 'Handyman' Drill for Brain Operations

A COUNTRY doctor has saved the life of a dying 12-year-old boy by using a household drill to bore into his brain after the boy had a bike accident.

The emergency "operation", by local GP Rob Carson in the Victorian country town of Maryborough, was yesterday hailed by a leading neurosurgeon as "one of the gutsiest life-saving efforts imaginable".

The drama happened late last Friday when Nicholas Rossi fell off his bike while riding in a quiet cul de sac outside a friend's house in Maryborough, a town of 7000 people 170km northwest of Melbourne. Nicholas was not wearing a helmet and the impact of his head hitting the pavement knocked him momentarily unconscious.

"He was a bit delirious at first, but then he stood up and said he was fine," his father, Michael Rossi, told The Australian yesterday. When he got home, Nicholas kept complaining of a headache and his mother, Karen, a trained nurse, took him to the district hospital where Dr Carson, a local GP, was on duty.

The doctor kept him for observation, but an hour later Nicholas began to drift in and out of consciousness and have spasms.

Dr Carson recognised it as a sign of internal bleeding in the skull that places acute pressure on the brain - the same deadly condition that recently claimed the life of actress Natasha Richardson, wife of Hollywood actor Liam Neeson. He also noticed that one of the boy's pupils was larger than the other - another sign of the internal bleeding.

The boy had fractured his skull and torn a tiny artery between the bone and the brain just above his ear. This created internal bleeding that became trapped between his skull and brain and formed into a huge blood clot, placing pressure on the brain.

If Dr Carson did not act within minutes, the boy would die.

"Dr Carson came over to us and said, 'I am going to have to drill into (Nicholas) to relieve the pressure on the brain - we've got one shot at this and one shot only'," Mr Rossi recalled.

The small hospital was not equipped with neurological drills, so Dr Carson obtained a household De Walt drill, used for boring holes in wood, from a hospital maintenance room.

He telephoned leading Melbourne neurosurgeon David Wallace to help talk him through the procedure, which he had never tried before.

Mr Wallace told Dr Carson where to aim the drill and how deep to go.

The GP disinfected the drill and drilled into the skull just below the bruise mark on the side of the head above the ear where the trauma had occurred.

"He drilled into my son's head and we heard the suction," Mr Rossi said.

Dr Carson drilled until a blood clot fell out. Blood then kept flowing out. The GP then used forceps to make the drilled hole slightly bigger until it was about 1cm in diameter.
Then a draining tube was placed in to allow the blood to continue to keep flowing out. Nicholas was being transfused with fresh blood in his arm at the same time.

Dr Carson knew the procedure had worked when he checked the pupil and found it had returned to normal size.

The actions of Dr Carson, assisted by anesthetist David Tynan and a team of hospital nurses, kept Nicholas alive until he was airlifted an hour later to Melbourne's Royal Children's Hospital.

Since then Nicholas's condition has improved so much that he was released from hospital yesterday.

Dr Carson is a reluctant hero, telling The Australian he was just doing his job.

"If you are in that situation you just do those things," he said.

"It is not a personal achievement, it is just a part of the job and I had a very good team of people helping me."

Mr Rossi was not so shy. "He saved our son's life," he said.

"David Wallace told us he could not believe Rob Carson had the guts - and it does take guts - to drill into his head.

"He said it was the difference between a patient arriving at the hospital dead or alive."

Nicholas turned 13 yesterday.

"He has started his teenage years with a bang," Mr Rossi said. "But life can change in a minute - tell your kids to always wear a helmet."
gforce422 is awesome because:
-He made the absolute nicest comments about me in the other topic. I didn't respond to them yet, because I suck, but they are greatly appreciated! =D
-I would say he would also be a good runner up as one of the nicest people alive.
-He joined the IRC sometimes. But not enough, I say! Chat moar =D
-He is evidently only 18 year old but he could easily pass for 25. =D
-He is a drummer like *I* am and this in itself is cool.
Astro> gforce's smiles can cure cancer in kittens
Astro> the happiness radiating from your person is enough to solve tensor calculus
<mib_4do271>everything you touch explodes in pillows of happiness

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Sat May 23, 2009 11:10 pm

I heard about this a few days ago. It's a really fantastic piece of news, and Dr. Carson deserves a medal or something.

Baconsticks

Postby Baconsticks » Sun May 24, 2009 1:11 am

Dr. Macgyver

osprey

Postby osprey » Sun May 24, 2009 2:51 am

Damn, major props to that guy.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Sun May 24, 2009 3:50 am

Yeah, and Edward Norton was actually a makeshift dentist.

Return to “World Events”