World Cup 2010

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

Ibun
Re: World Cup 2010

Postby Ibun » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:53 am

"Our bad." - Team USA
Killin' the first born of lyrical Yul Brynners.

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:15 am

The Ghana v USA game was really good. Nice to see the level of world cup football now actually living up to the hype. Good close game, both teams having good times and bad.

Pity the Uruguay v South Korea game was dull as hell.

Never mind all this though, it's nearly time for England to get knocked out of the world cup by ze Germans. I must change into my shirt.

Ibun

Postby Ibun » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:27 pm

I have to agree, I think we went out against a team who are about equal with us. All the goals scored were quality shots. I am content with our performance this year, though I had hopes that we would advance a bit further.

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:37 pm

Pity the Uruguay v South Korea game was dull as hell.
I disagree, I thought South Korea played brilliantly in the last 30 or so minutes of the game. All through the second half they were the better team, had possession of the ball more, were attacking more and made attempts at goal more. It's a pity they lost I think.

Didn't watch the Ghana - USA game. Let's see how England do against Germany.

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:10 pm

Let's see how England do against Germany.
Not well.

Well, that's a little unfair. We were outplayed during the majority of the match, and made some really shaky defensive decisions; I'm thinking of the second goal in-particular, which should never have been allowed in by a competent defense.

Yeah, we were denied a BLATANT goal which might have changed the atmosphere of the game in our favour, but that's just conjecture. The third German goal was because we'd pulled everyone forward and there was no-one left to defend...but the fourth? That was inexcusable.

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:21 pm

Yes 4-1 in favour of Germany. Bad result for England. Defending was all over the place except where it mattered - in defense. The disallowed goal would have boosted morale greatly I think, but I still don't think England could have won. Germany played like a team, and deserved it.

Ibun

Postby Ibun » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:50 pm

I agree with that; but I think if it was tied, they wouldn't have been as aggressive as they were and might have been a bit more organized on defense.

And yet another bad call on the first goal in the Arg/Mex game. Still even after that Mexico has looked just foolish against the Argentinian attack. The second goal was just pathetic.

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:53 am

Yeah, the defense would've gotten a boost knowing they were equal; I mean look at John Terry's blocks against Slovenia when we were winning.

And I agree about the Argentina goal.

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:12 pm

The quarter finals are upon us.

Netherlands - Brazil

Uruguay - Ghana

Argentina - Germany

Spain - Paraguay

South America has done really well this time, one country from there in each game. If they play well there might be an all-South American final or even semi-finals.

Ibun

Postby Ibun » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:49 pm

Justice is served. The horrible Brazilians are finally gone.

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:47 pm

Well, well, well, a game of two halves there.

Brazil completely overshadowed Netherlands in the first half and went in the lead but they grew complacent in the second half and after an own goal seemed to lose their confidence and were all over the place and it was Netherlands who dominated the game then. It was really fun watching Oranje play in the second half like you expect them to.

Ibun

Postby Ibun » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:38 pm

So that Germany game. Holy shit. I mean I knew they could win; but not like that.

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:09 pm

The Germany - Argentina game indeed. Argentina were thrashed, not just by the score, but with the quality of play as well. The third goal where Scheweinsteiger tore apart through the Argentine defence was amazing and the perfect pass to Klose's 2nd goal was great too. Watching football is still boring but when teams play like Germany and Netherlands as they played in the second half against Brazil, it just has a few sparks of brilliance.

Uruguay won by cheating. Suarez should really get more than a 1 match ban for deliberately handling the ball. They would probably have won eventually. Uruguay were like a sprinter who came in first but stepped in shit halfway on the track and left brown footprints behind them.

Uruguay - Netherlands

Germany - Spain

Most people are predicting a rematch of the 1974 Germany - Netherlands final. Predictions haven't been so accurate this far.

osprey

Postby osprey » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:20 pm

I hope to see a Germany - Netherlands final, would be an amazing game to watch IMHO.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Ibun

Postby Ibun » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:51 pm

Even so Jack, I mean come on. You have to make that PK. You just do. He makes that and the game is over.

Return to “World Events”