DRILL babby, DRILL!

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

Æron
Re: DRILL babby, DRILL!

Postby Æron » Mon May 31, 2010 2:40 am

Unsurprisingly, BP's "top kill" failed. I doubt any strategy to plug the leak is going to work until the relief well is completed, which won't be until PANTLESS AUGUST. The bitter cynic in me is saying that BP is just jerking off with the top kill and containment dome, etc strategies, looking like they're doing something in the meantime between now and when the relief wells are finished.

Disgraceful, the whole debacle. But I guess this is what happens when you regulate a corrupt industry with a corrupt regulation organization, the US MMS, staffed with members of that corrupt industry. Which was basically George Bush's regulation philosophy, and this is the regulation philosophy that is to blame for shit like this. Shame on Obama, too, for being weak and not cleaning house in time.

pants http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/30/us/30 ... wanted=all
this http://www.gregpalast.com/smart-pig-bps ... this-week/
shit http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/5/11 ... ing-School

The ultimate insult, of course, will be when the Republicans manage to win seats in congress this election over this issue by blaming Obama. Oh, yes! The same party who brought you deregulation and "drill, babby, drill!" is going to win seats by blaming the spineless Democrats who didn't do enough to clean up their mess in time, and even just recently started to bend over for the minority party and allow more drilling.
Scurry, scurry, Scurryous! You might just be the murriest. You certainly are the furriest! Hurry! Scurry! Scurryous!

Arloest
Moderator (retired)

Postby Arloest » Mon May 31, 2010 3:38 am

Literally nothing can work until the relief wells are in place, as the pressure of the spewing oil is far to great to be contained without it. However, a relief well isn't a surefire solution either at this point, as it must be drilled in just the right location for it to be effective at all. And since nothing's really visible down there, it's very hard to tell where the right place is. That's probably why Obama ordered more than one drilled.

In any case, expect the Gulf of Mexico to soon become a giant dead zone.
Who sleeps shall awake, greeting the shadows from the sun
Who sleeps shall awake, looking through the window of our lives
Waiting for the moment to arrive...
Show us the silence in the rise,
So that we may someday understand...

Æron

Postby Æron » Mon May 31, 2010 4:10 am

Assuming the relief well would work as theorized.
Yeah, there's a chance even that might not work either. But relief wells are more than just theory, they have been the only thing that has been able to stop leaks in the past. Not at these depths, though.

If both of the relief wells being drilled at the moment fail? Ffffffff....
Scurry, scurry, Scurryous! You might just be the murriest. You certainly are the furriest! Hurry! Scurry! Scurryous!

Tom_Radigan

Postby Tom_Radigan » Mon May 31, 2010 4:42 am

The ultimate insult, of course, will be when the Republicans manage to win seats in congress this election over this issue by blaming Obama. Oh, yes! The same party who brought you deregulation and "drill, babby, drill!" is going to win seats by blaming the spineless Democrats who didn't do enough to clean up their mess in time, and even just recently started to bend over for the minority party and allow more drilling.
Certainly you don't really believe that the Democrats are not influenced by big money interests, including the oil industry? Ever heard of George Soros or Haim Saban, both very rich and very intimate with the Democratic Party?

Obama may not be responsible for the BP spill, but neither was George Bush responsible for the flooding of New Orleans-yet he got blamed anyway. In any case, even without the oil spill Obama and the Democrats are already in trouble for plenty of other reasons.

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Mon May 31, 2010 6:15 pm

Obama may not be responsible for the BP spill, but neither was George Bush responsible for the flooding of New Orleans-yet he got blamed anyway. In any case, even without the oil spill Obama and the Democrats are already in trouble for plenty of other reasons.
No one blamed either of those men for those disasters, all the criticism is being directed at their handling of the aftermath and perhaps the state they put regulatory and response agencies to such events.

Also, I don't think you have to ask anyone getting into these discussions whether they know George Soros.

Arloest
Moderator (retired)

Postby Arloest » Mon May 31, 2010 8:22 pm

It's not happening in the topic in particular, but people out there are blaming Obama and/or Bush. Personally, I just wish politics would be kept out of this matter completely. It doesn't matter. What matters is the immediate situation at hand and its consequences.
Who sleeps shall awake, greeting the shadows from the sun
Who sleeps shall awake, looking through the window of our lives
Waiting for the moment to arrive...
Show us the silence in the rise,
So that we may someday understand...

Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:18 pm

The spill is no big deal. This is all a ruse to get a research facility built so they can develop the next MEHTUL Gear

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:54 pm

MEHTUL Gear?!
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:53 pm

So Tony Hayward is really just Liquid Snake in disguise?

Ibun

Postby Ibun » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:12 pm

Obama has appointed the following to take care of the cleanup.

Killin' the first born of lyrical Yul Brynners.

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:05 pm

He's a fool! You have to use FireMan's weapon to beat OilLeakMan.
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

Return to “World Events”