The anti-vaccine movement is driving me nuts

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

pharmmajor
The anti-vaccine movement is driving me nuts

Postby pharmmajor » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:56 pm

I am really getting sick of these whackjobs. Their constant parroting of the "vaccines cause autism!" lie, groundless conspiracies about how "Big pharma" wants to use children as guinea pigs, and other assorted bull is driving me nuts. They are advocating fearmongering and pseudoscience that will ultimately harm those they insist they're trying to help. Look at the deaths from swine flu already; and these ret@rds don't think children should be vaccinated?! WTF?!

Arloest
Moderator (retired)

Re: The anti-vaccine movement is driving me nuts

Postby Arloest » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:00 pm

I completely agree. And, as someone with an autistic brother, the whole theory of vaccinations being linked with autism pisses me off. Most of the celebrities that try to purport a cure for autism end up hurting the movement more than helping it due to their own ignorance on the subject.

I'm going to move this topic to World Events, though.
Who sleeps shall awake, greeting the shadows from the sun
Who sleeps shall awake, looking through the window of our lives
Waiting for the moment to arrive...
Show us the silence in the rise,
So that we may someday understand...

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:15 pm

Here, there's a lot of scaremongering going on regarding the cervical cancer vaccine. Many people are refusing to allow their children to be administered with the vaccine, which, whilst ultimately their decision, is a stupid thing to do given that, statistically, their child is far more likely to be killed by the cancer than by the vaccine (otherwise it would never have been rolled out). Much the same story for the MMR, although that died down a while ago.

Amusingly, the Daily Mail newspaper ran a campaign in Britain (where the vaccine is being administered) to get the government to stop giving out the cervical cancer jab, and a campaign in Ireland (where the vaccine is not being administered) to get the government to start giving out the cervical cancer jab.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Comrade K

Postby Comrade K » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:55 pm

Amusingly, the Daily Mail newspaper ran a campaign in Britain (where the vaccine is being administered) to get the government to stop giving out the cervical cancer jab, and a campaign in Ireland (where the vaccine is not being administered) to get the government to start giving out the cervical cancer jab.
That is so awesomely Bond-Villainesque.

Caoimhin
Location:In the magical land of Jersey... Watch your step and don't trip on the cows.

Postby Caoimhin » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:20 pm

I am really getting sick of these whackjobs. Their constant parroting of the "vaccines cause autism!" lie, groundless conspiracies about how "Big pharma" wants to use children as guinea pigs, and other assorted bull is driving me nuts. They are advocating fearmongering and pseudoscience that will ultimately harm those they insist they're trying to help. Look at the deaths from swine flu already; and these ret@rds don't think children should be vaccinated?! WTF?!
Considering the U.S government no longer requires pandemic and seasonal flu to be separated in regards to outbreak and death counts since the end of August, companies that make vaccines can easily distort the numbers and simply say there are "x-number" of deaths each year of simply "flu". It isn't like fearmongering is not used as advertising. It should be noted that there are more important things to worry about than the little over a 1000 deaths by the swine flu that occured in people that for the most part had weak immune systems in the first place. Besides, more people have died of the regular flu than have of the swine flu already. Heres a CNN article, it's from April but that just solidfies my case:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/28/re ... index.html

osprey

Postby osprey » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:26 am

The swine flu was greatly overblown as a fear tactic, plain and simple. I'm not getting the vaccine, it's a waste of my time.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

D-puff

Postby D-puff » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:54 am

The swine flu was greatly overblown as a fear tactic, plain and simple. I'm not getting the vaccine, it's a waste of my time.
http://www.cracked.com/article/158_5-ir ... ople-have/
ImageImage

Foxchild

Postby Foxchild » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:16 pm

If you've done things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:45 pm

If you're a healthy person (that is, not in an 'at risk' group for regular flu) there's really no point in getting the swine flu vaccine.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Caoimhin
Location:In the magical land of Jersey... Watch your step and don't trip on the cows.

Postby Caoimhin » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:04 pm

If you're a healthy person (that is, not in an 'at risk' group for regular flu) there's really no point in getting the swine flu vaccine.
Or the regular flu vaccine, considering you're likely to get the flu anyway. If there is an issue that causes autism in this case its better to be safe than sorry. My issue is that although the government gives the vaccine out for free, doctors are still allowed to charge a fee. No matter how small that fee is (it only is encouraged to be small) the fact someone should have to pay a doctor for what is essentially a government funded vaccine is just wrong on principle.

Angstwolf

Postby Angstwolf » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:15 pm

Return to “World Events”