Manchester Woman Kills Cat With Crossbow

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

Cactus Jack
Re: Manchester Woman Kills Cat With Crossbow

Postby Cactus Jack » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:25 am

Animals aren't property they are companions.

Gecko

Postby Gecko » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:33 am

Please, give me an example of where it's justifiable to kill a pet because it's harming your property in some way. I would love to hear your logic.
Ok, if an animal is causing real damage to my property, I'm going to shoot it. I consider my immediate property my territory, and I'll defend it if need be. I don't even remotely agree with what this woman did, but I've had random dogs around here before, and if they had chosen to start wreaking havoc, I probably would've shot them. They didn't, so I didn't. Protection of property is legitimate, within reason. If a dog is digging up your garden, you shouldn't kill it, but if it repeatedly tears the shit out your lawn and topples your garbage and is constantly just a pain in your ass, then I don't disagree with your choice to destroy the trouble maker.
Like I said, my property is my territory, and I'll defend it like any other animal would. I'm just better armed.
This is what I wanted someone to say, thank you. As much as I hate the thought of shooting an animal for the sake of defending one's property and believe it shouldn't be acceptable, I at least can understand it.

The implication I was getting from Cactus Jack's posts was that the animal's presence on your property was immediate justification for killing it.

In light of
I don't believe you should be allowed to kill an animal on your property without a reason, I just don't see why it matters if it is a pet or not.

Please tell me why pet owners can let their pets run wild and do whatever on other people's property? How is that fair?
I can see I was mistaken. My apologies.

I think Aeron already said it rather well. Someone else paid money for and invested their time in taking care of a pet. The harm it's causing you had better be critical to justify killing a pet and harming the owner both monetarily and emotionally.

If that is your stance, then now you're admitting that you're not just killing property, you're killing someone's companion.

At this point, you've just shot yourself in the foot. You wanted to know the difference between killing a pet and a wild animal? You said it yourself: the pet is someone's companion, the wild animal isn't. Hence, the owner is entitled to compensation for the damage incurred if you choose to take the immediate, violent solution to his cat tearing up your plants, rather than calling animal control.

Thanks for clearing that up.
Anami and Anami are sitting around Anami says "GRR I AM ANGSTY LET'S EXPRESS ANGST" and so Anami says "ONE OF THE MODS ON DC IS A DICK I POSTED A PICTURE THAT WASN'T REALLY THAT INAPPROPRIATE AND THREE MODS SAW IT AND DID NOTHING THEN A FOURTH ONE SAW IT AND DELETED IT" and Anami says "OMG I HATE MODS >:("

Æron

Postby Æron » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:50 am

First of all, I assume you mean pets.

Secondly, I do agree with this statement. I don't like referring to pets as property, as they are for the most part fellow sentient living beings, but I've had too many arguments with people who seem to only understand the language of "property" and "mine and yours".
Scurry, scurry, Scurryous! You might just be the murriest. You certainly are the furriest! Hurry! Scurry! Scurryous!

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:11 am

Why can't they be both if you mean pets? Surely I can still buy a companion at the pet store and have ownership. But that may still not be good enough for y'all so I would suggest we model the 3/5 Compromise for pets.

MuffinSticks

Postby MuffinSticks » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:23 am

This thought just occurred to me. Do some people find it justifiable to kill an animal for damaging property because they view the animal as property as well? Or would they also kill a human child if they were consistently damaging their property? I can't see the difference between killing a human or an animal, for they both have the exact same right to live. It seems to me like the only reason people are less hesitant to kill an organism other than a human, is that they don't cry and beg for mercy and whatnot. Does anyone really care about the death of a person because they feel they missed out on their equal right to live? Or do they care because they had an emotional connection to that person, and are therefore personally burdened by the loss of the person's life?

Disclaimer: I'm not stating any of this as fact. I just want to know what you guys think.
КТО ТРОГАЛ МОЯ ПУШКА

<Muninn> Too furry for saneville, too girly for boystown
see, how far raine dog got placed in the background? take that you blue bitch

Burning Sheep Productions

Postby Burning Sheep Productions » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:51 am

It's just a cultural thing Muffy.
Burning Sheep Productions

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:56 pm

At this point, you've just shot yourself in the foot.
For a moment I felt like I was reading one of those adventure books where at the end of each chapter you get a few options of what to do and turn to the appropiate page, and that I'd just shot myself in the foot.

We can return to the spirited conversation now. Maybe I'll make better choices from now on.

MuffinSticks

Postby MuffinSticks » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:27 pm

Culture is balls.
КТО ТРОГАЛ МОЯ ПУШКА

<Muninn> Too furry for saneville, too girly for boystown
see, how far raine dog got placed in the background? take that you blue bitch

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:15 am

At this point, you've just shot yourself in the foot.
For a moment I felt like I was reading one of those adventure books where at the end of each chapter you get a few options of what to do and turn to the appropiate page, and that I'd just shot myself in the foot.

We can return to the spirited conversation now. Maybe I'll make better choices from now on.
What you have to do is hold your page when making a decision. This gets difficult if the immediate death from making a wrong choice isn't so immediate.
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:00 pm

Hey guys, what you want me to do with this empty tin of worms?

Foxchild

Postby Foxchild » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:22 pm

Hey guys, what you want me to do with this empty tin of worms?
Empty? Aww, now wee can't go fishing! oh well, have the internet.... phishing it is.
If you've done things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all.

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:19 pm

A wild CAT appeared!
Go! MANCHESTER WOMAN!
CAT used GROWL!
But it failed!
MANCHESTER WOMAN used CROSSBOW!
It's super effective!
CAT fainted!

Foxchild

Postby Foxchild » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:51 pm

A wild CAT appeared!
Go! MANCHESTER WOMAN!
CAT used GROWL!
But it failed!
It's super effective!
CAT fainted!
D=
If you've done things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all.

Google [Bot ]

Postby Google [Bot ] » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:34 pm

A wild CAT appeared!
Go! MANCHESTER WOMAN!
CAT used GROWL!
But it failed!
It's super effective!
CAT fainted!
I LOLED PROFUSELY :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I'm not a spambot :S
BUTT DOGS

Gecko

Postby Gecko » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:37 am

A wild CAT appeared!
Go! MANCHESTER WOMAN!
CAT used GROWL!
But it failed!
It's super effective!
CAT fainted!
That was terrible.

And I chuckled inside.
Anami and Anami are sitting around Anami says "GRR I AM ANGSTY LET'S EXPRESS ANGST" and so Anami says "ONE OF THE MODS ON DC IS A DICK I POSTED A PICTURE THAT WASN'T REALLY THAT INAPPROPRIATE AND THREE MODS SAW IT AND DID NOTHING THEN A FOURTH ONE SAW IT AND DELETED IT" and Anami says "OMG I HATE MODS >:("

Return to “World Events”