Leap Second

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

Segovia
Leap Second

Postby Segovia » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:52 pm

On the night of New Years Eve., the world time keepers will stop the clock for one second. This "Leap Second" is supposed to keep the atomic clock in time with the rotation of the earth. Thus giving us an extra second in 2009. I personally don't really see the significance of an extra second. It just means that the day is longer but that extra length is not even going to be felt.

For info. here is this article.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20081226/ ... ondtoosoon

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:05 pm

it's not really significant, it's just that the atomic clock needs to be recalibrated.
http://www.spingain.com/?ref=146518
Well put doog. You never posted anything offensive whatsoever
we know she'll be back, like a good bitch should.

Gecko

Re: Leap Second

Postby Gecko » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:46 pm

On the night of New Years Eve., the world time keepers will stop the clock for one second. This "Leap Second" is supposed to keep the atomic clock in time with the rotation of the earth. Thus giving us an extra second in 2009. I personally don't really see the significance of an extra second. It just means that the day is longer but that extra length is not even going to be felt.

For info. here is this article.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20081226/ ... ondtoosoon
It's not about giving everyone an extra second for the hell of it, it's (as was said) to keep the atomic clocks around the world calibrated correctly.
Anami and Anami are sitting around Anami says "GRR I AM ANGSTY LET'S EXPRESS ANGST" and so Anami says "ONE OF THE MODS ON DC IS A DICK I POSTED A PICTURE THAT WASN'T REALLY THAT INAPPROPRIATE AND THREE MODS SAW IT AND DID NOTHING THEN A FOURTH ONE SAW IT AND DELETED IT" and Anami says "OMG I HATE MODS >:("

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:43 am

I'm sure this is important to some people. Maybe not potholers, barmaids, bookkeeping clerks, paralegals, urban planners, recreational therapists, computer software engineers, dancers, loan oficers and such.

It's more up the astronomers or statisticians alley I think. It's a dismal alley, full of charts and numbers designed to numb the soul and pave the way for their Prime Grand-Poobah of Rationality and Integers to set up an authoritarian single-party worldwide nation based on maths and accountancy. Luckily their power is kept in check through their eternal struggles against the childcare workers and librarians.

Caoimhin
Location:In the magical land of Jersey... Watch your step and don't trip on the cows.

Postby Caoimhin » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:41 am

I'm sure this is important to some people. Maybe not potholers, barmaids, bookkeeping clerks, paralegals, urban planners, recreational therapists, computer software engineers, dancers, loan oficers and such.

It's more up the astronomers or statisticians alley I think. It's a dismal alley, full of charts and numbers designed to numb the soul and pave the way for their Prime Grand-Poobah of Rationality and Integers to set up an authoritarian single-party worldwide nation based on maths and accountancy. Luckily their power is kept in check through their eternal struggles against the childcare workers and librarians.
**sniff sniff**Is that cynicism I smell?
Dr.Sticks your statement was oddly chilling... I have something to tell you, step into my office... Its about the babby... An atomic babby... **wink**wink**

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:18 pm

I AM DENNIS MCCARTHY, DIRECTOR OF TIME. DO NOT QUESTION MY LEAP SECONDS.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:21 pm

Caoimhin
Location:In the magical land of Jersey... Watch your step and don't trip on the cows.

Postby Caoimhin » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:43 pm

Are THEY the ones re-populating the planet after the Doomsday device? Oh, my...

Return to “World Events”