The United States 2008 Presidential Election

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

Arloest
Moderator (retired)
The United States 2008 Presidential Election

Postby Arloest » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:03 am

First, a few notices:

1.) Although most of us have the same general ideologies, some dissent can still occur. That being said, please be civil.

2.) If you don't like politics or the discussion thereof, don't post here. It's that simple. No one's forcing you into this topic. Any posts saying something like "politics sucks" or "all politicians suck" will be promptly deleted. Only legitimate and contributive discussion will be allowed here.

There's never really been a thread here before that's been this serious in nature, but I'm sure we can pull it off.

All that said, this topic will simply be about the 2008 election. It's far too important of an issue for me not to pass up discussion. Thus, the creation of this topic.

There's no really strict, specific criteria over how we start the discussion. Anything regarding the election will be acceptable.

But I guess we can start out with - 1.) If you live in America, are you voting? 2.) Who are you voting for? 3.) Why?

Of course, I'm voting for Obama. I've already voted for him in the primaries and caucused for him at the precinct and district levels. Frankly, Obama represents a change that this country needs right now, I think. I know the whole 'change' thing seems overplayed, but it's really true. Especially in the eyes of our allies overseas.
Who sleeps shall awake, greeting the shadows from the sun
Who sleeps shall awake, looking through the window of our lives
Waiting for the moment to arrive...
Show us the silence in the rise,
So that we may someday understand...

Comrade K

Postby Comrade K » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:50 am

Hah, I'm going to be civil. Fight the Power!

Obviously not an American.

But still, if I were one, I'd vote Obama. Don't totally agree with the Democrats on everything, especially gun control, and I'm not sure what exactly the Democratic policy on Iraq is, since I believe that troops should not be pulled. I don't and never did agree with it, but now that it's been started, it must be finished.

The only other candidate I could have seen myself voting for was Ron Paul.

That's a very brief summation of my thoughts on the US political scene. Maybe I'll go into more detail later.

Fritz

Postby Fritz » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:55 am

LewisTheTank

Postby LewisTheTank » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:46 am

Answer A: Don't vote; Never had it, never will.
Answer B: Main reason behind answer A is simple:
I never could follow along well with issues, never really wanted to either. I've got so much jumble in my head from BS issues already (disabled, remember?) that I'd rather not make a mistake by casting a vote for the wrong person/issue.
I could say I do hate politics, but after actually thinking about it a bit that's not entirely true. It's a necessity handed down by our American forefathers, and that alone gives it some value.
I (almost) registered a few elections back to give Percy Ross my vote, but again, the issues began to confuse me too much, and I freaked out and let it slide.
Answer C:Not an American attitude? It is in fact my right to take this stand. And yes, I know the score:
If you don't vote, keep your mouth shut about things being done you don't like.
And I do at that...
"Do you really think you have what it takes? Do you?"

Baconsticks

Postby Baconsticks » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:04 am

Either Obama, or this guy:

(Jackson Kirk Grimes)

(btw this guy seriously ran in 2000 and is doing it again this year)
http://joanne21921.tripod.com/

Shinigetsu

Postby Shinigetsu » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:41 am

Arlo:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgVUxmjf0G8
Comrade K:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWdN4hA-rB0
Fritz:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iqktCdX0hs
Lewis:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXY_8cJlGMc
Bacon:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdIhzfPakZ8

But seriously, I'd vote Obama. If we don't, it means were totally screwed as far as foreign policy and such. (but I do know a lot of people who are native to countries like Iraq and Afghanistan and they tend to say that it was worse before the troops were sent in)

Baconsticks

Postby Baconsticks » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:53 am

pants yes beer.

Dr. Doog

Postby Dr. Doog » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:22 pm

I'm 16 :(
but I certainly agree with the values of Obama more than the values of McCain
pants jesus
DCS should've ended the comic a year or two ago.

GeorgiaCoyote

Postby GeorgiaCoyote » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:31 pm

Of course I'm gonna vote. I always feel it's of great importance to. That being said...this one is real tough for me. I've always liked McCain's attitude and toughness. I've mostly admired the way he would actively reach across party lines to try and get things done. This is seriously lacking this day in age. I can't help but admire Obama as well. What he has accomplished thus far is a great testament to how far this country has come from some of its darker moments in the past. I was concerned about his experience though but after seeing how he handled himself in the debates, that's not such a concern. Still both candidates didn't address this current economic fiasco the way I thought it should have been. This bail-out for example is still in my view a case of hard-working folks like myself bailing out companies that have made a huge mistake. If it were up to me, that 700 billiion would first come from the CEO's who made the bad decisions. Also if the federal government really wants to help out the economy, why don't they vote themselves a pay cut for a change instead of costantly voting themselves pay raises. I'd probably fall over dead from shock if either Obabma or McCain took that stance. I think I'm safe though cause I don't see any pigs flying or hell freezing over. I guess what it boils down to is that I'm one of the many undecided voters at this point. I know it's kinda late in the game to be that way but...I just am. Maybe after the remaining debates and further research I'll have my decision. I only wish the majority of voters would be as tenacious as me in getting all the info before such an important decision is made.
Nathan

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:36 pm

I am British, and below voting age at that - but Obama has my moral vote. America as a country can't risk another complete failure - and while I'd hesitate to say that McCain will be this, his policies (often a continuation of Bush's) and his running mate speak volumes. Put simply, Obama is the lesser of two evils, and that appears to be what politics is always about.

All politicians are corrupt, and American politicians especially are manipulated far too strongly by big business. American politics is dominated by two enormous parties and I really can't see it going anywhere. There is no scope for real change, so casting your vote for the candidate less likely to make your life and the lives of your peers miserable is commendable.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:23 am

I heard Michael Palin was running. I'll probably vote for whichever ticket he's on. I loves me some Pythons.
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:14 pm

I loves me some Pythons.
Ve-ry in-te-res-ting. </freudmode>
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

Ibun

Postby Ibun » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:20 pm

I'm voting Obama. That is all.
Killin' the first born of lyrical Yul Brynners.

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:54 pm

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:05 pm

That terrorist guy? Why do you hate democracy?
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

Return to “World Events”