Homeland Security conisdering taser bracelets for air travel

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

Baconsticks
Homeland Security conisdering taser bracelets for air travel

Postby Baconsticks » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:12 am

Because being racist because you don't like spicy food wasn't bad enough.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/ ... r-peanuts/

Just when you thought you’ve heard it all...

A senior government official with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has expressed great interest in a so-called safety bracelet that would serve as a stun device, similar to that of a police Taser®. According to this promotional video found at the Lamperd Less Lethal website, the bracelet would be worn by all airline passengers.

This bracelet would:

• take the place of an airline boarding pass

• contain personal information about the traveler

• be able to monitor the whereabouts of each passenger and his/her luggage

• shock the wearer on command, completely immobilizing him/her for several minutes

The Electronic ID Bracelet, as it’s referred to as, would be worn by every traveler “until they disembark the flight at their destination.” Yes, you read that correctly. Every airline passenger would be tracked by a government-funded GPS, containing personal, private and confidential information, and that it would shock the customer worse than an electronic dog collar if he/she got out of line?

Clearly the Electronic ID Bracelet is an euphuism for the EMD Safety Bracelet, or at least it has a nefarious hidden ability, thus the term ID Bracelet is ambiguous at best. EMD stands for Electro-Musclar Disruption. Again, according to the promotional video the bracelet can completely immobilize the wearer for several minutes.

So is the government really that interested in this bracelet? Yes!

According to a letter from DHS official, Paul S. Ruwaldt of the Science and Technology Directorate, office of Research and Development, to the inventor whom he had previously met with, he wrote, “To make it clear, we [the federal government] are interested in…the immobilizing security bracelet, and look forward to receiving a written proposal.” The letterhead, in case you were wondering, came from the DHS office at the William J. Hughes Technical Center at the Atlantic City International Airport, or the Federal Aviation Administration headquarters.

In another part of the letter, Mr. Ruwaldt confirmed, “It is conceivable to envision a use to improve air security, on passenger planes.”

Would every paying airline passenger flying on a commercial airplane be mandated to wear one of these devices? I cringe at the thought. Not only could it be used as a physical restraining device, but also as a method of interrogation, according to the same aforementioned letter from Mr. Ruwaldt.

Would you let them put one of those on your wrist? Would you allow the airline employees, which would be mandated by the government, to place such a bracelet on any member of your family?

Why are tax dollars being spent on something like this? Is this a police state or is it America?

As we approach July 4th, Independence Day, I can’t help but think of the blessing we have of living in America and being free from hostile government forces. It calls to mind one of my favorite speeches given by an American Founding Forefather, Patrick Henry, who said,

“Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!”
This is just the start.

It's a brave new world. *zap*

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:07 am

Watch the promotional video. Scary stuff.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

rabid_fox

Postby rabid_fox » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:37 am

About damned time. The jinglebombers will never win over The Glorious West.

Chips and gravy for all.
Thither

Comrade K

Postby Comrade K » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:44 am

Enjoy your fascism.

rabid_fox

Postby rabid_fox » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:26 am

Chips, gravy and fascism.
Thither

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:24 pm

This will make even LESS people travel by air, which means the airlines will ALL GO BANKRUPT AGAIN, which means the government will GIVE THEM FREE MONEY AGAIN.

I'm in the wrong line of work.

A dude named Vince

Postby A dude named Vince » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:02 pm

Well, I'll never fly on a commercial air-liner again. (Not by my own will anyway.) I bet they're gonna put stuff under your skin that carries your identification, and if you do something bad instead of shocking you it explodes or releases cyanide into your blood stream or something like that.
Like Shredder emerging from the ooze, I've returned for a while!
Gary's mod?

Comrade K

Postby Comrade K » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:14 pm

This will make even LESS people travel by air, which means the airlines will ALL GO BANKRUPT AGAIN, which means the government will GIVE THEM FREE MONEY AGAIN.
This.

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:59 pm

It won't happen anytime soon. People tolerate the erosion of freedom only little by little (think of the frog in slowly heating water). This is just too big a leap.

Now, if they want to make good use of bracelets for security, they should have the flight attendants dress like Wonder Woman.
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

GeorgiaCoyote

Postby GeorgiaCoyote » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:21 pm

Is it any wonder that I would rather take the train if I have to go anywhere outside the southeast. Unfortunately they'll probably try some stupid crap like that on the trains as well. Next thing you know it'll be busses, subways, hell driving your own damn car may not get you outta there reach.

I'm in the wrong line of work.
I guess I could always try my hand at being a flight attendant. I'm probably not sexy enough though unfortunately.
Nathan

Tarukai

Postby Tarukai » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:04 pm

This is one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard. Why they would bother with this I don't know, as it's simply a blanket solution that will piss off many people and get them sued in the end when the braclets malfunction and shock people who are doing nothing wrong.
[00:34:00] <Dermy> I do love to manipulate the standard rules of language for opportunistic effect
[00:34:06] <Dermy> Like a grammar hyena, I am
[00:34:16] <Dermy> Munching on the tasty entrails of tradition

[22:26:20] <MuffinSticks> I'm a chocolate muffin with white ears and a striped black and red tail
[22:26:35] <MuffinSticks> And exactly 6 chips

My DA account, for those who care enough to look/click/etc.
And my FA account as well!

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:13 pm

I just felt a disturbance in the force. As if a thousand voices all cried out "Don't tase me, bro!" and were suddenly silenced.

</shameless>

Here's a better idea: Make everyone in the government wear these things and give the controls to the citizens. I guarantee it would make the government a lot more hesitant about abusing its power.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:23 pm

Two pence fuel duty increase? *zap*
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

GeorgiaCoyote

Postby GeorgiaCoyote » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:16 pm

Here's a better idea: Make everyone in the government wear these things and give the controls to the citizens. I guarantee it would make the government a lot more hesitant about abusing its power.
I hearby form a militia to descend on Washington D.C. and force shock collars around their fat necks. Now be prepared for a long absence from me as the Feds will surely come and haul me off for posting this.
Nathan

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:20 am

This shocky collar thing is the best idea since police profiling! Shirley, you don't want the terrorists to win? Horribly curtailed freedoms are worth it for the nebulous safety we could get.
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

Return to “World Events”