UK Toddlers who dislike spicy food 'racist'

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

Mista_B
UK Toddlers who dislike spicy food 'racist'

Postby Mista_B » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:16 pm

Toddlers who turn their noses up at spicy food from overseas could be branded racists by a Government-sponsored agency.

The National Children's Bureau, which receives £12 million a year, mainly from Government funded organisations, has issued guidance to play leaders and nursery teachers advising them to be alert for racist incidents among youngsters in their care.

This could include a child of as young as three who says "yuk" in response to being served unfamiliar foreign food.

The guidance by the NCB is designed to draw attention to potentially-racist attitudes in youngsters from a young age.

It alerts playgroup leaders that even babies can not be ignored in the drive to root out prejudice as they can "recognise different people in their lives".

The 366-page guide for staff in charge of pre-school children, called Young Children and Racial Justice, warns: "Racist incidents among children in early years settings tend to be around name-calling, casual thoughtless comments and peer group relationships."

It advises nursery teachers to be on the alert for childish abuse such as: "blackie", "Pakis", "those people" or "they smell".

The guide goes on to warn that children might also "react negatively to a culinary tradition other than their own by saying 'yuk'".

Staff are told: "No racist incident should be ignored. When there is a clear racist incident, it is necessary to be specific in condemning the action."

Warning that failing to pick children up on their racist attitudes could instil prejudice, the NCB adds that if children "reveal negative attitudes, the lack of censure may indicate to the child that there is nothing unacceptable about such attitudes".

Nurseries are encouraged to report as many incidents as possible to their local council. The guide added: "Some people think that if a large number of racist incidents are reported, this will reflect badly on the institution. In fact, the opposite is the case."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... eport.html

I... have no comment. :sad:
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." <br>-- Bertrand Russell

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:53 pm

While it is important that, even (or indeed especially) at a young age, racism is not tolerated, there is nothing racist about saying "yuk" to foreign food; it is merely impolite and should be treated as such.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:00 pm

Now, hold on!

Disliking a culture's food is now equated with racism? What the bloody pants?

I love Japanese culture, but I find 99% of their food to be inedible. Why? Because I personally do not like it. And now this is a flaw on my part?

If a Hindu refuses to eat a Big Mac, is he anti-American?

And! All of this would be ridiculous if aimed at adults, but aimed at CHILDREN... no wonder they call it "the Nanny State"... how can ANYONE live in England?!

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:12 pm

And! All of this would be ridiculous if aimed at adults, but aimed at CHILDREN... no wonder they call it "the Nanny State"... how can ANYONE live in England?!
...quite happily. This is not legislation; the organisation is government-backed but it is not part of the government. This is only a set of guidelines, the more ridiculous parts of which any sane nursery school teacher would ignore.

Furthermore, this only affects young children. Stop making generalisations about English society.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

rabid_fox

Postby rabid_fox » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:09 pm

Damned jungle bunnies.
Thither

Mista_B

Postby Mista_B » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:28 pm

Furthermore, this only affects young children. Stop making generalisations about English society.
Yeah, stop racismising on the English.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." <br>-- Bertrand Russell

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:30 pm

Wait... so it's not an official government thing? Then I take it all back, seriously, including the "how could anyone live in England" bit. I thought this was the government forcing multi-culturalism down little kids' throats in the form of food.

Because, well, I just couldn't imagine living in a country which forced its little children to eat food they didn't like, in the name of being not racist.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:43 pm

I have noticed a general trend, that whenever something stupid like this happens in a given country, people who don't live in that country automatically assume it reflects a nationwide trend, government-run system, or cultural norm in that country.

Getting back to the article, I'm starting to think that most people who talk about "racism" have never actually seen real racism up close. I'm talkin' genuine hatred for a particular race, as opposed to just culture-centrism coupled with a little rashness and made public through a general lack of tact.

Or, in some cases, just the lack of tact part. (4chan, anyone?)

Fritz

Postby Fritz » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:59 pm

I loved spicy food as a child.

Mista_B

Postby Mista_B » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:24 pm

I loved spicy food as a child.
D:

That means you were racist against cultures that don't like spicy food!

Arloest
Moderator (retired)

Postby Arloest » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:05 am

Now, hold on!
Disliking a culture's food is now equated with racism? What the bloody pants?
I love Japanese culture, but I find 99% of their food to be inedible. Why? Because I personally do not like it.

And now this is a flaw on my part?
If a Hindu refuses to eat a Big Mac, is he anti-American?
And! All of this would be ridiculous if aimed at adults,
but aimed at CHILDREN... no wonder they call it "the Nanny State"... how can ANYONE live in England?!
Who sleeps shall awake, greeting the shadows from the sun
Who sleeps shall awake, looking through the window of our lives
Waiting for the moment to arrive...
Show us the silence in the rise,
So that we may someday understand...

GeorgiaCoyote

Postby GeorgiaCoyote » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:11 pm

Wow...all I can say is that I'm surprised some folks here in America were not the first to try this sillyness. I'm all for preventing racist thoughts at a young age but this...this is most ridiculous. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to confront some folks that don't like grits. They obviously were being racist toward me and my culture :roll: :laugh:
Nathan

Fritz

Postby Fritz » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:17 pm

Grits are seriously some of the best food ever. If you don't like them you should get out of DC.

Spray

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:20 pm

I actually love sushi. And, as much as it's "cool" to insult British cuisine, some of my favorite food is British.
I have noticed a general trend, that whenever something stupid like this happens in a given country, people who don't live in that country automatically assume it reflects a nationwide trend, government-run system, or cultural norm in that country.
I honestly think that this is a human trait, and that people who don't act like that have learned to not act that way -- not the other way around. As primates, our brains, by design, categorize everything as either "us" or "not us"... which might explain, well, a lot... not saying it excuses it, because it doesn't.

A dude named Vince

Postby A dude named Vince » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:06 pm

Grits are seriously some of the best food ever. If you don't like them you should get out of DC.
=(
Like Shredder emerging from the ooze, I've returned for a while!
Gary's mod?

Return to “World Events”