Dell guilty of fraud and false advertising

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

Baconsticks
Dell guilty of fraud and false advertising

Postby Baconsticks » Fri May 30, 2008 1:41 pm

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/22178 ... raud-false
A court in New York has found Dell guilty of false advertising and fraud.

The company engaged in abusive debt collection practices, misled consumers about the financing terms for which they had qualified and failed to provide consumers with promised rebates, according to court papers.

The case arose after hundreds of complaints about Dell and its finance arm Dell Financial Services.

Dell now faces the prospect of a huge damages claim, and New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo has asked consumers to register their complaints at a special website so that damages can be assessed.

"Huge companies like Dell cannot continue to walk all over their customers and get away with it," said Cuomo.

"All consumers who were left on hold for hours, promised 'onsite' repair services only to be pressured to take apart their computers themselves, and subjected to numerous other negligent and abusive practices should register their complaints at our website so we can ensure the Dell is held accountable for its failed promises."

The court found that Dell and Dell Financial Services had deceived consumers as to the real cost of their PCs.

The company offered complex financing schemes, sold people onsite repair warranties and then refused to honour them and left customers waiting for literally hours on the Dell helpline, according to court papers.

The 26-page summation is a damning indictment of the two companies' practices, and represents a major image problem for Dell as well as a potentially huge damages bill.

Justice Joseph C. Teresi said in his decision: "Dell has engaged in repeated misleading, deceptive and unlawful business conduct, including false and deceptive advertising of financing promotions and the terms of warranties, fraudulent, misleading and deceptive practices in credit financing and failure to provide warranty service and rebates."

Dell has not decided whether it will appeal, and has blamed the situation on a small number of customer complaints.

Lulz.

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Fri May 30, 2008 4:55 pm

Well, I'm glad they were called on it. And I'm typing this on a Dell.
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

gforce422

Postby gforce422 » Fri May 30, 2008 10:26 pm

Well, I'm glad they were called on it. And I'm typing this on a Dell.
Same here. :lol:

Add a poll asking if people own a Dell! :grin:
gforce422 is awesome because:
-He made the absolute nicest comments about me in the other topic. I didn't respond to them yet, because I suck, but they are greatly appreciated! =D
-I would say he would also be a good runner up as one of the nicest people alive.
-He joined the IRC sometimes. But not enough, I say! Chat moar =D
-He is evidently only 18 year old but he could easily pass for 25. =D
-He is a drummer like *I* am and this in itself is cool.
Astro> gforce's smiles can cure cancer in kittens
Astro> the happiness radiating from your person is enough to solve tensor calculus
<mib_4do271>everything you touch explodes in pillows of happiness

TyVulpine

Postby TyVulpine » Fri May 30, 2008 10:36 pm

That's why my favorite saying about Dell is "Dude, you got f---ed by Dell!"

osprey

Postby osprey » Fri May 30, 2008 11:27 pm

HA! Good. I ran into their bullcrap many years ago, and will never go back, ever. Dell is evil. I'm happy to say I'm typing this on a Toshiba laptop I bought at Best Buy, who like to honor their customers' service plans.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

TyVulpine

Postby TyVulpine » Fri May 30, 2008 11:42 pm

HA! Good. I ran into their bullcrap many years ago, and will never go back, ever. Dell is evil. I'm happy to say I'm typing this on a Toshiba laptop I bought at Best Buy, who like to honor their customers' service plans.
Well...I bought a Sony Vaio laptop from Best Buy last July and somehow, while charging it about 2 weeks later, the outlet must have had a short, because it fried the motherboard on the laptop (no lights, no power) and I took it to Best Buy, and rather than fix it there, they told me I had to call Sony to get it fixed.

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Fri May 30, 2008 11:49 pm

Dells are consistantly the shittiest laptops I ever have to take apart and repair... I think only the really crap Vaios and Esystems laptops are worst. Build quality of a Soviet ipod.

Zaaphod
Moderator (retired)

Postby Zaaphod » Sat May 31, 2008 12:46 am

A Soviet iPod. The mind reels.... :shock:

You'd probably need a wheelbarrow to cart it around. :P
Made by Angela. :D

TyVulpine

Postby TyVulpine » Sat May 31, 2008 12:58 am

A Soviet iPod. The mind reels.... :shock:

You'd probably need a wheelbarrow to cart it around. :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfIpnd7wN8o *Head explodes*

Tarukai

Postby Tarukai » Sat May 31, 2008 2:32 am

I can safely say I've never had a problem with Dell, to be honest. We have four of them in my house (two desktops, my dad's laptop and my laptop), and they all run fine.

I loved the bit about "pressuring the customers to take them apart". If I had a desktop by any company, if there was a problem inside, the first thing I would do it open it up XD I lol at people who are afraid of opening their computer.

Laptops are a different story but I need to find a laptop I can disassemble for the sake of it (but I might have one after all).

Needless to say, Dell has never given me or my family problems, since we all custom-build ours on the site, and we get a discount (hey, the only alternative is Gateway... yeah).

I love Dells, despite how much bad press and such they get (and the bad things they do as well).
[00:34:00] <Dermy> I do love to manipulate the standard rules of language for opportunistic effect
[00:34:06] <Dermy> Like a grammar hyena, I am
[00:34:16] <Dermy> Munching on the tasty entrails of tradition

[22:26:20] <MuffinSticks> I'm a chocolate muffin with white ears and a striped black and red tail
[22:26:35] <MuffinSticks> And exactly 6 chips

My DA account, for those who care enough to look/click/etc.
And my FA account as well!

gforce422

Postby gforce422 » Sat May 31, 2008 3:08 am

I loved the bit about "pressuring the customers to take them apart". If I had a desktop by any company, if there was a problem inside, the first thing I would do it open it up XD I lol at people who are afraid of opening their computer.
The only catch is, if you open up your computer, don't know what you're doing, and screw something up, they'll void your warranty.
gforce422 is awesome because:
-He made the absolute nicest comments about me in the other topic. I didn't respond to them yet, because I suck, but they are greatly appreciated! =D
-I would say he would also be a good runner up as one of the nicest people alive.
-He joined the IRC sometimes. But not enough, I say! Chat moar =D
-He is evidently only 18 year old but he could easily pass for 25. =D
-He is a drummer like *I* am and this in itself is cool.
Astro> gforce's smiles can cure cancer in kittens
Astro> the happiness radiating from your person is enough to solve tensor calculus
<mib_4do271>everything you touch explodes in pillows of happiness

osprey

Postby osprey » Sat May 31, 2008 3:15 am

Well...I bought a Sony Vaio laptop from Best Buy last July and somehow, while charging it about 2 weeks later, the outlet must have had a short, because it fried the motherboard on the laptop (no lights, no power) and I took it to Best Buy, and rather than fix it there, they told me I had to call Sony to get it fixed.
Vaios are crap though. Strange however, I've never had a problem with Best Buy here...in fact one of my friends on the east coast is a tech for Best Buy.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

TyVulpine

Postby TyVulpine » Sat May 31, 2008 6:21 pm

Vaios are crap though. Strange however, I've never had a problem with Best Buy here...in fact one of my friends on the east coast is a tech for Best Buy.
My laptop cost $700, so I wouldn't consider it "crap", since there were cheaper ones for sale. And it suits everything I need. I don't need a lot of stuff on it, just to able to surf the web and chat. That's it.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Sat May 31, 2008 7:13 pm

Vaios are too expensive for what they are.

I had a horrible cheap Dell Inspiron 1000 (£250 was the cheapest laptop around when I bought it) and I'm glad to be rid of it now. That said, I've never had any problems with it - it's just really slow. Even worse now my sister put Windows back on it. It was bearable with Ubuntu, but XP and whatever crap she's installed with it just slows it down horribly.

Typing this on a computer I built myself from parts - but I am using a Dell monitor which is, by the way, excellent.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

TyVulpine

Postby TyVulpine » Sat May 31, 2008 8:26 pm

Vaios are too expensive for what they are.

I had a horrible cheap Dell Inspiron 1000 (£250 was the cheapest laptop around when I bought it) and I'm glad to be rid of it now. That said, I've never had any problems with it - it's just really slow. Even worse now my sister put Windows back on it. It was bearable with Ubuntu, but XP and whatever crap she's installed with it just slows it down horribly.

Typing this on a computer I built myself from parts - but I am using a Dell monitor which is, by the way, excellent.
Oh, well. Other than the fried motherboard problem, I haven't had any other problems with the Vaio.

Return to “World Events”