"Stimuli Checks"

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

TyVulpine
"Stimuli Checks"

Postby TyVulpine » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:44 pm

Apparently, the government is goin to be sending out those "stimuli checks" starting this coming Monday, instead of next month as originally planned. Me? I need $$ anyway, so that helps, though going to save as much as possible, and maybe buy an HDTV and a Blu-Ray DVD player next month.

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:19 pm

These are given only by the federal government, right? I'm still trying to figure out why the District of Columbia returned my "state" tax.

Maybe an official secretly opposes our taxation without representation.
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

TyVulpine

Postby TyVulpine » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:23 pm

Correct. As for the "State" tax, I guess that really counts as a "local" tax, since DC is not a state. But *shrug* the government will try to take our money one way or another.

osprey

Postby osprey » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:17 am

What are these Stimuli Checks and why do we not get them in Canada?
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

gforce422

Postby gforce422 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:38 am

I think it's because Canada's economy doesn't suck. :)
gforce422 is awesome because:
-He made the absolute nicest comments about me in the other topic. I didn't respond to them yet, because I suck, but they are greatly appreciated! =D
-I would say he would also be a good runner up as one of the nicest people alive.
-He joined the IRC sometimes. But not enough, I say! Chat moar =D
-He is evidently only 18 year old but he could easily pass for 25. =D
-He is a drummer like *I* am and this in itself is cool.
Astro> gforce's smiles can cure cancer in kittens
Astro> the happiness radiating from your person is enough to solve tensor calculus
<mib_4do271>everything you touch explodes in pillows of happiness

GeorgiaCoyote

Postby GeorgiaCoyote » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:18 pm

think it's because Canada's economy doesn't suck. :)
Yup...that's pretty much the case. I'll still be waiting a while for mine though since my SS# ends with....oh...yeah....like I'm gonna be stupid enough to give even the last 4 digits of my SS# here :laugh:
Nathan

Richard K Niner

Postby Richard K Niner » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:55 pm

We call them "prosperity" checks. Except only Albertans are eligible (oil money, you see) Image
<center>Image
K9U | Dog House | Av rotation</center>

TyVulpine

Postby TyVulpine » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:10 pm

Yup...that's pretty much the case. I'll still be waiting a while for mine though since my SS# ends with....oh...yeah....like I'm gonna be stupid enough to give even the last 4 digits of my SS# here :laugh:
And because Republicans think tax cuts will pay for themselves, and somehow "help" our economy.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:26 pm

By "stimuli check" I thought you meant some kind of doctor's appointment where he flashes lights in your face and measures how you react.

And then you talked about it as though everybody was getting one, which made me think of some kind of Orwellian fitness check.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

TyVulpine

Postby TyVulpine » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:33 pm

By "stimuli check" I thought you meant some kind of doctor's appointment where he flashes lights in your face and measures how you react.

And then you talked about it as though everybody was getting one, which made me think of some kind of Orwellian fitness check.
Sorry, should have said every American that filed a tax return this year for tax year 2007.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:01 pm

Sorry, should have said every American that filed a tax return this year for tax year 2007.
That's still scary!

"Yes, Mr. Jones, you filed your tax return. Let me check if your responses to stimuli are... healthy..."
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Tarukai

Postby Tarukai » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:45 pm

I am sad that I am claimed under my parents as dependent, otherwise I would be getting $300 :/
[00:34:00] <Dermy> I do love to manipulate the standard rules of language for opportunistic effect
[00:34:06] <Dermy> Like a grammar hyena, I am
[00:34:16] <Dermy> Munching on the tasty entrails of tradition

[22:26:20] <MuffinSticks> I'm a chocolate muffin with white ears and a striped black and red tail
[22:26:35] <MuffinSticks> And exactly 6 chips

My DA account, for those who care enough to look/click/etc.
And my FA account as well!

TyVulpine

Postby TyVulpine » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:54 pm

Is it $300 or $600? I've heard $600...

Tarukai

Postby Tarukai » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:56 pm

Is it $300 or $600? I've heard $600...
for me it would be $300. for individuals, not couples, it's $300. a couple is $600, or something like that. so I read on my mail that was sent to me for no reason whatsoever.
[00:34:00] <Dermy> I do love to manipulate the standard rules of language for opportunistic effect
[00:34:06] <Dermy> Like a grammar hyena, I am
[00:34:16] <Dermy> Munching on the tasty entrails of tradition

[22:26:20] <MuffinSticks> I'm a chocolate muffin with white ears and a striped black and red tail
[22:26:35] <MuffinSticks> And exactly 6 chips

My DA account, for those who care enough to look/click/etc.
And my FA account as well!

Baconsticks

Postby Baconsticks » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:32 pm

And because Republicans think tax cuts will pay for themselves, and somehow "help" our economy.
It's thought that by giving the most money to the highest social class, that money will trickle down to the lower classes.

History has proven this does not work, however. :?

Return to “World Events”