US scientists close to creating artificial life

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

Baconsticks
US scientists close to creating artificial life

Postby Baconsticks » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:13 pm

WASHINGTON (AFP) - US scientists have taken a major step toward creating the first ever artificial life form by synthetically reproducing the DNA of a bacteria, according to a study published Thursday.

The move, which comes after five years of research, is seen as the penultimate stage in the endeavour to create an artificial life form based entirely on a man-made DNA genome -- something which has tantalised scientists and sci-fi writers for years.

"Through dedicated teamwork we have shown that building large genomes is now feasible and scalable so that important applications such as biofuels can be developed," said Hamilton Smith, from the J. Craig Venter Institute, in the study published in Science.

The research has been carried out at the laboratories of the controversial celebrity US scientist Craig Venter, who has hailed artificial life forms as a potential remedy to illness and global warming.

However, the prospect of engineering artificial life forms is highly controversial and is likely to arouse heated debate over the ethics and potential ramifications of such an advance.

It is one of the Holy Grails of science, but also one that stirs deep fears as forseen in Aldous Huxley's 1932 novel "Brave New World" in which natural human reproduction is eschewed in favor of babies grown artificially in laboratories.

Venter said in a statement: "This extraordinary accomplishment is a technological marvel that was only made possible because of the unique and accomplished ... team."

His researchers had "dedicated the last several years to designing and perfecting new methods and techniques that we believe will become widely used to advance the field of synthetic genomics," he added.

Lead author Dan Gibson said the team had completed the second step in a three-step process to create a synthetic organism.

In the final stage of their research which they are already working on, the Maryland-based team will attempt to create a bacteria based purely on the synthetic genome sequence of the Mycoplasma genitalium bacteria.

The bacteria, which causes certain sexually transmitted diseases, has one of the least complex DNA structures of any life form, composed of just 580 genes.

In contrast, the human genome has some 30,000.

The chromosome which Venter and his team has created is known as Mycoplasma laboratorium and, in the final step of the process, will be transplanted into a living cell where it should "take control," effectively becoming a new life form.

The new bacteria will therefore be largely artificial, though not entirely, because it is composed of building blocks from already existing organisms.

"When we started this work several years ago, we knew it was going to be difficult because we were treading into unknown territory," said Smith.

But other scientists remain cautious, saying Venter and his team are still a long way from being able to create artificial life. They point to a tell-tale footnote in the study which details a problem in slotting in one of the cloned genes.

Eckard Wimmer, professor of molecular biology at New York University, said it was clear from Venter's study that the team had not yet created artificial life.

He said he was left with "the unpleasant feeling whether or not the synthetic DNA was indeed proper and able for biological function."

His fears were echoed by Helen Wallace, a biologist and spokesperson for GeneWatch UK, who said that while Venter's team has managed a technical feat, it is some way from being artificial life.

"Venter is not God ... He's a long way from creating life," she told AFP.

"It's a type of genetic engineering which would allow people to make much bigger genetic changes, which means that in the future you could create organisms with new gene sequences."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080125/ts ... 0125001832

Yay, I can have my own Bokanovsky kids.

rabid_fox

Postby rabid_fox » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:22 pm

These things always fall under the "I wish I hadn't watched Alien Resurrection last night" category.
Thither

Kazapsky

Postby Kazapsky » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:25 pm

Given how badly natural reproduction has screwed up, the "Brave New World" scenario might well be a preferable option.

rabid_fox

Postby rabid_fox » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:41 pm

Natural reproduction is far too much fun to give up on. However, when I'm old, withered and have crinkly schlupping old-man balls that knock against my bony knees, I'll be glad to see all the whippersnappers lose out on coitus in favour of merciless genetic selection.
Thither

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:02 am

Natural reproduction is far too much fun to give up on.
True dat.
The end is nigh!

teozo

Postby teozo » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:31 pm

Stop worying you all.
It propably will succed but I bet some religious fanatic will march in front of the lab and protes by the end of the week.
Who thinks war is good is against me.
Who likes war is hateing me.

http://www.prato.linux.it/~lmasetti/ant ... hp?lang=en
Anti-war songs website.

http://www.croatianhistory.net/
About my Homeland. Read it.

http://www.paulhone.com/
Force H - good music

GeorgiaCoyote

Postby GeorgiaCoyote » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:47 pm

Hmmm...I would personally like to see more on this research. Genetics is an area of great interest to me. Now as I understand it, there trying right now to create a living bacteria from the bacteria's genome. It'll be interesting to see if they're successfully but this doesn't instantly translate into creating human life artificially. There's a heap more complexity involved with the human genome. I'll have to keep a look out for more information on this. Surely if they're this close, then they must be well on their way to writing up a journal article on it.
Nathan

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:14 pm

I'm still having flashbacks of Deus Ex and Mission: Impossible 2.
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

Lig

Postby Lig » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:53 am

This article is interesting and reminds me of one I saw a while back bout how scientist were working on creating artificial DNA. I think these fields need more study before any kind of implementation. I think these projects have the capacity to better mankind as a whole but it also can do harm as well. I doubt artificial human reproduction will ever catch on though or be made mandatory. Natural reproduction is just to damn fun. Most I can see happening is some genetic modification to the unborn child to get rid of any health risk and possibly even some cosmetics too such as hair and eye color selection.

rabid_fox

Postby rabid_fox » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:09 am

You should see what my sister gets up to. She's researching phosphate microbiology. Dear god. She starts talking and I'm like:

*smiles and nods*

*smiles and nods*

*smiles and nods*

"I understand, dear sister. You shall rule the world."
Thither

Hanging Tree

Postby Hanging Tree » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:04 am

Given how badly natural reproduction has screwed up, the "Brave New World" scenario might well be a preferable option.

I would prefer that life not be a stuffy book that cares more about message then story.
Round the hangin tree
Swayin in the breeze
In the summer sun
As we two are one
Swayin

jent
Staff

Postby jent » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:08 am

old news....i posted this like 6 months ago:
http://www.bbdforum.com/viewthread.php?tid=1500#pid7491

But still hella cool. Impresses the hell out of me. :wag:

I think one of the best things I look forward to in technology like this is the ability to solve massive environmental problems. There is no doubt that this technology holds massive potential (in many areas), i just hope they can truly reach it in time.
cheers.....
<center>Image</center>

Return to “World Events”