Weird News

Everything that might be happening in our world today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Moderator:Æron

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:49 pm

Maybe some cult cut their own feet off. I can hardly think why, tho. :?
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

VisibilityMissing

Postby VisibilityMissing » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:02 pm

That theory may just have some feet to stand on . . . right. :P

---------------------------------------

You know times are bad when . . .
Jul 14, 7:22 PM EDT

Woman accused of smacking beau with toilet seat

FORT PIERCE, Fla. (AP) -- Police arrested a couple after the woman allegedly hit her boyfriend with a toilet seat. The woman, 18, told police that she found her boyfriend smoking cocaine in their bathroom and turned on the shower to try and wash away the drugs.

The pair argued and when he refused to give up the drugs, authorities say the woman hit him with the toilet seat.

The boyfriend was charged with cocaine possession and later released on bond. The woman faces a battery charge and was released without posting bond.

---------------------------------------

Bee: 1, Helicopter: 0
Jul 14, 7:23 PM EDT

Bee blamed for causing minor helicopter crash

WISCONSIN RAPIDS, Wis. (AP) -- Wood County authorities said an Oklahoma man piloting a crop-dusting helicopter crashed after a bee got sucked into the cockpit and stung him.

Deputy Ted Ashbeck said the chopper was only four feet off the ground, and the pilot was unhurt when the tail rotor smashed into the ground Friday.

Ashbeck said the pilot was spraying a cranberry marsh, where beehives are set up to promote pollination. As the helicopter flew above the hives, at least one bee was sucked inside.

Terry Solf, 65, of Aline, Okla., told investigators the bee stung him, diverting his attention just long enough for him to crash. No one else was aboard.

Solf said he's flown helicopters for more than 30 years.

Ashbeck says the chopper was "pretty banged up."
"The beauty of this is that it is only of theoretical importance,
and there is no way it can be of any practical use whatsoever."
- Sidney Harris

"Perhaps they've discovered the giant whoopee cushion I hid
under the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge." http://ozyandmillie.org/2002/01/03/ozy-and-millie-819/

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:49 pm

What, did she break it off with her bare hands?
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

rabid_fox

Postby rabid_fox » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:12 pm

I've broken a toilet seat off with my bare ass before. Lousy...plastic hinges.
Thither

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:50 pm

And here's another thing getting broken off:
Officials in Flint, Mich., say they've had to replace hundreds of manhole covers and grates that were probably stolen and sold for scrap. The Flint Journal reported Monday that nearly 400 cast-iron covers and grates have been taken from streets in the past year. A cover can fetch $20 from a scrap yard but can cost the city more than $200 to replace. Officials in neighboring Burton say they've lost about 200 covers and grates during the same period. Utilities supervisor Mike Holzer says it leaves uncovered holes up to 35 feet deep. Genesee County officials say they've been able to reduce thefts of county-owned covers by outfitting them with a bolt that is turned by a wrench only they have.

Tarukai

Postby Tarukai » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:12 am

And here's another thing getting broken off:
Officials in Flint, Mich., say they've had to replace hundreds of manhole covers and grates that were probably stolen and sold for scrap. The Flint Journal reported Monday that nearly 400 cast-iron covers and grates have been taken from streets in the past year. A cover can fetch $20 from a scrap yard but can cost the city more than $200 to replace. Officials in neighboring Burton say they've lost about 200 covers and grates during the same period. Utilities supervisor Mike Holzer says it leaves uncovered holes up to 35 feet deep. Genesee County officials say they've been able to reduce thefts of county-owned covers by outfitting them with a bolt that is turned by a wrench only they have.
what's going through my mind is, why didn't they do this in the first place? It keeps them more secure anyway such as when they're being run over by cars, and it also keeps people out of the sewers themselves.
[00:34:00] <Dermy> I do love to manipulate the standard rules of language for opportunistic effect
[00:34:06] <Dermy> Like a grammar hyena, I am
[00:34:16] <Dermy> Munching on the tasty entrails of tradition

[22:26:20] <MuffinSticks> I'm a chocolate muffin with white ears and a striped black and red tail
[22:26:35] <MuffinSticks> And exactly 6 chips

My DA account, for those who care enough to look/click/etc.
And my FA account as well!

GeorgiaCoyote

Postby GeorgiaCoyote » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:33 pm

what's going through my mind is, why didn't they do this in the first place? It keeps them more secure anyway such as when they're being run over by cars, and it also keeps people out of the sewers themselves.
Now that's whatcha call one of them dumb dumb dumb dumb moments. Somebody get them their stupid signs.
Nathan

Baconsticks

Postby Baconsticks » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:00 pm

NEW YORK (July 21) - A Broadway mogul whose wife trashed him in a widely viewed Internet video was granted a divorce from her Monday.
A Manhattan judge gave Philip Smith a divorce from Tricia Walsh-Smith on the grounds of cruel and inhuman treatment.
Walsh-Smith lashes out against Smith in the tearful and furious YouTube video, which has attracted more than 3 million hits. She makes embarrassing claims about their intimate life and then calls his office to repeat those claims to a stunned assistant.

On the video, Walsh-Smith also goes through their wedding album, describing family members as "bad," ''evil" or "nasty," and expresses concern about eviction from the couple's luxury apartment.
Judge Harold Beeler blasted Walsh-Smith for her video stunt, which he called "a calculated and callous campaign to embarrass and humiliate her husband" and to pressure him into settling the divorce case on more favorable terms than were stated in their prenuptial agreement.
"She has attempted to turn the life of her husband into a soap opera by directing, writing, acting in and producing a melodrama," the judge said.
He said Monday that the prenuptial agreement, signed three weeks before the couple's 1999 wedding, was valid. This means that Walsh-Smith must leave their Park Avenue apartment within 30 days and that Smith, president of the Shubert Organization, the largest theater owner on Broadway, must pay her $750,000.
Smith said after the ruling he was "sorry it had to come to this."
"I'm happy with the decision of the judge, and I'm happy with the outcome," he said.
Walsh-Smith, a former actress and playwright, didn't see the decision the same way.
"I think it's disgusting," she said. "I'm really, really disappointed with the decision."
She accused Smith of "basically throwing me out on the street." One of her attorneys, Joseph P. McCaffery, said they would appeal.
Renowned divorce attorney Raoul Felder briefly represented Walsh-Smith after she made the video. Felder previously said his client was "acting out of passion."
"This is a victim who is holding her head up," he said. "I think she comes off well."

SOURCE: http://news.aol.com/article/angry-youtu ... 1200324243
What do you know, a judge with an IQ above 10. So they really do exist.

and if you want to watch the video, here it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx_WKxqQF2o

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:33 pm

"Basically throwing [her] out on the street" with $750,000, she means.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

gforce422

Postby gforce422 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:46 am

Talk about a bad day... Guess who's gonna get fired? :P

Airplane Mechanic Causes $100M Damages After Pushing Wrong Button

-Jul 23rd 2008-

Maybe this airline mechanic at the Baton Rouge Metro Airport was hopped on DayQuil earlier this week -- after all, "they" do say to take caution if operating heavy machinery. Whatever the cause, a mechanic at the Baton Rouge Metro Airport accidentally pressed a starter switch on a commuter airplane she was cleaning, which immediately sent the craft into full-fledged take-off mode -- right into two other planes inside the same hangar.

All three planes were destroyed, ultimately causing $100,000,000 in damages, not to mention nearly killing herself and 14 other workers, according to a report from Baton Rouge's WAFB-TV.

The entire incident took all of about five seconds according to witnesses, who are still dumbfounded as to how the whole hanger wasn't sent up in flames.

We all make mistakes, but we're pretty sure this woman will soon be out of a job. [Source: WAFB]
gforce422 is awesome because:
-He made the absolute nicest comments about me in the other topic. I didn't respond to them yet, because I suck, but they are greatly appreciated! =D
-I would say he would also be a good runner up as one of the nicest people alive.
-He joined the IRC sometimes. But not enough, I say! Chat moar =D
-He is evidently only 18 year old but he could easily pass for 25. =D
-He is a drummer like *I* am and this in itself is cool.
Astro> gforce's smiles can cure cancer in kittens
Astro> the happiness radiating from your person is enough to solve tensor calculus
<mib_4do271>everything you touch explodes in pillows of happiness

rabid_fox

Postby rabid_fox » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:59 am

There is a single button that can be accidentally pressed to make a plane take off?

I have seen mountain bike with more safety features than that. Jesus christ.
Thither

Chris

Postby Chris » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:24 am

What? My door have more safety features than that plane. oO

osprey

Postby osprey » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:28 am

If it's that easy to send the plane into takeoff mode, it's either a stupidly designed plane, or the last pilot forgot to shut something off.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Quantheory

Postby Quantheory » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:00 pm

Some engineer needs to get fired. The mechanic needs a vacation.
With a flourish

Baconsticks

Postby Baconsticks » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:02 pm

The real mistake here is that fuel was left in the plane.

(woo, page 100)

Return to “World Events”